Is Costa Rica what I'm looking for?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2009, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a 5 day get-a-away for my husband (who has been over stressed and needs unwind) on Dec. 1 and thinking Costa Rica. I know he would be thrilled with somewhere remote. No big fancy hotels, but NiCE small ones (think luxury boutique hotels). I'm looking for somewhere remote, it does not have to be on the beach but beautiful nature for sure and if the beach would be close that would be a plus. We are both active and might like lounging for afternoon but need to hike or kayak (or both).

It seems like Dec. is warm so that's a plus. It would be really cool to find a place where we could walk or taxi to a local town and hang out for an evening. But, one night with an romantic dinner would also be great.

We don't need to go on excursions as long as we can be active whenever we want.

Am I looking at the right place and if so, what hotel??

Thank YOU So Much For Any Suggestions or ideas!
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 12:19 PM

I think that Costa Rica can be the place but so can be Nicaragua, Laguna de Apoyo will be a nice place for you and your husband, with a really nice crater lake that offers different activities. In this are i will recommend La Abuela or San Simian.

In San Juan del Sur i will highly recommend Casa del Soul, very private, very romantic, private beach and an amazin view of the bay. If you need more information private message me and i will be more than glad to provide more information
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 01:05 PM

El Silencio Lodge is very remote and very relaxing, in the cloud forest about 1 1/2 hours from the airport. www.elsilenciolodge.com
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 01:26 PM

www.manuelantoniopark.com

www.issimosuites.com

intimate nice...
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 02:43 PM

You might like www.lostiguanaresort.com. We love it there - you would be by the lake and volcano rather than a beach though. You might check out Buena Vista Villas in Manuel Antonio too.
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Rudy we will go to Nicaragua one day when we have more time.

Shooie, Qwavadis and volcanogirl, I'm on it right now...thanks!
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 07:12 AM

Costa Rica is perfect. Since you only have 5 days I suggest staying in 1 place the whole time - most people when visiting do travel throughout the country since there is such diversity within the land. If you like the beach, head to Manuel Antonio and stay at Issimo Suites! This is about a 3 hour drive from the main airport but the travel their is enjoyable and beautiful! PS - Get a private driver!

If you prefer more adventure and do not care about the beach to go to Arenal - this place is AMAZING! We stayed at Arenal Parasio and loved it!

Watch my video about my vacation to costa rica and you will know that going their is the right pick for you! www.hollywoodwannab.blogspot.com (scroll down once there and you will see)
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Hey, I really appreciate all your time and advice. My problem I'm encountering is I've just discovered it is the rainy season No/Dec. We plan on leaving Nov. 30th. So, I think the jungle area is out and we should head to the beach for less rain. Do you agree. I really dislike rain.
What about hotel Makanda and that area?

I'm about to take a peek at your video, Parker.
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 09:16 AM

I don't pretend to be a Costa Rica expert but seriously doubt there is any way that Manuel Antonio could be considered "remote", which is one of the OP's requirements.

Jerry
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 09:31 AM
RAC

Try the Ylang Ylang resort in Montezuma:

www.elbanano.com
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 09:43 AM

Well... most of CR is rain forest, so if you really dislike rain, you might want to reconsider this as a destination. Nov/Dec will be toward the end of the rainy season, but if you really dislike rain, you might want to check out the northern Pacific coastal area, Guanacaste. Probably less rain there than anywhere in the country, but I bet there will still be SOME even there at that time of the year.

Hotel Makanda is in Quepos/Manual Antonio. I bet there will be some rain there at the end of Nov/early Dec -- maybe in the afternoons/evenings mostly?
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 09:45 AM

luv, that's the very tail end of rainy season. I wouldn't be worried about it. Check out weather patterns here

http://costa-rica-guide.com/Weather/WeatherMap.html

If you decide to go with Arenal, I've heard good things about the canoeing/kayaking at Cano Negro. We did an organized tour there, and the wildlife was great - monkeys, sloths, birds, bats, caimans, etc.
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 01:44 PM

I just had another thought and not sure if this would interest you, but Bosque del Cabo would offer you the remoteness, hiking, and beautiful nature that you're looking for. You can also go to the beach, but you would have to hike down.

www.bosquedelcabo.com

Check out the video and see if it's your kind of place.
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 01:50 PM

I would recommend the Dominical area....try the Coconut Grove Oceanfront Cottages http://www.coconutgrovecr.com/. We had a great time there this July, the cost was reasonable, ziplines, fantastic waterfalls and swimming holes, nature tours (sloths, birds, iguanas, monkeys, coatis) via foot or horseback are just minutes away. It's very quiet at night with the pounding of the waves just a few feet away with a beautiful beach to swim and walk on. Whatever you do, stay away from Jaco....it's overbuilt and really not that nice.
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 02:44 PM

I just re-read my response, and I didn't mean it to sound snippy (if it does) -- sorry! I just really meant to say that at the end of Nov/early Dec, it's possible that it's going to be difficult to miss rain entirely. I'm going from Dec 8 to 14, and I am honestly preparing for some rain -- though I'm hoping it's not going to be too much.

Also, Costa Rica probably isn't mostly rain forest. That was an incorrect statement. I think I <b>want</b> it to be mostly rain forest, but that's not the reality.
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 03:27 PM

Consider Casa Caletas. Remote beautiful boutique hotel. Amazing views from restaurant and pool. Kayaking, Beach, wildlife all right there. Look at the pictures on the website.
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 06:29 PM

Ooh, I thought of another one. Casa Chameleon - I haven't gotten to stay there yet, but it gets great reviews.

http://www.hotelcasachameleon.com/
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

I want to quickly reply to thank you again for all your great suggestions. I'm hard at work doing research of the thoughtful ideas. I'm going crazy but it's kinda fun - in a crazy sort of way.

Plumboy, it was sweet that you were concerned you offended me but you did not...Thanks.

more later