Is Cabo that Bad?

Old May 18th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Cabo that Bad?

After reading so many reports about Cabo's hookers, drunks and addicts, I'm worried. We are suppose to go to Villa del Palmar in December with my wifew, teenage daughter and younger son. Is this a good idea? I would lie to hear from anyone who has stayed at the Villa del Palmar.
Old May 23rd, 2003, 09:20 AM

About all I've heard about Cabo is that the timeshare people are extremely aggressive. So if you don't want a timeshare, be prepared to say NO. They were bad enough in Cancun; hard to imagine they can get worse.
Old May 23rd, 2003, 10:38 AM

I assume you mean you would "like" to hear from anyone who has stayed at Villa del Palmar, or was this a Freudian slip?

I've been to Cabo San Lucas several times and never have I seen the hookers, drunks and addicts that some people go on and on about. The street hucksters are another story. Not only aggressive, as Jamie said, but downright irritating in their numbers.

What did you want to know specifically about VDP?
Old May 23rd, 2003, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. We own a Marriott timeshare and wonder if Villa del Palmar is a 'quality resort.' Is it well maintained, clean, are the rooms big, how is the beach - pool, how are the restaurants, are there restaurants at VDP? Any info is welcome.
Old May 23rd, 2003, 05:29 PM

We had a 1-bdrm unit with a king-size bed. There was a pull-out in the living room. The unit was a good size. The bathrooms were nice. Small frig, cooktop, pots, pans, dishes. There was a well-stocked little store on site and a deli with a fairly limited menu but good food.

We also have a time share which we traded for this property. The first night, we were given a 1-bdrm unit that overlooked the pool but from which we couldn't see the ocean. We asked to be moved, but they couldn't accommodate us that day. They did move us up a floor or two the next day, which made all the difference. We still overlooked the pool, but could see the ocean.

There is a spa/exercise facility there, which we didn't use but looked fine. Didn't eat at the restaurant--there were nightly buffet/shows on the patio portion of the restaurant; people seemed to be enjoying themselves, but we're not buffet people, so we didn't try it.

The more casual restaurant (overlooking the ocean) is good. I'm not sure if they're open for dinner.

The beach is narrow, but nice. We usually staked out lounge chairs on the seawall overlooking the beach from 8-11 a.m., then went exploring for the day. There seemed to be activities going on all day in the pool--and a very nice pool it was. I think it is ideal for a family. We were just there in January, so chances are it remains much the same.
Old May 23rd, 2003, 08:51 PM

So you want to own a timeshare- try this www.timeshare-guru.com, just open the resales link and check out those prices, or better still go to frommers , lots of info on timeshare/timescare there.

You want to rent try out this link www.tradingplaces.com , the last minute specials rent from $130-$400 for a week, 1 and 2 bedrooms. Good deal.

Ba humbug who would be so foolish to buy a timeshare?
Old May 23rd, 2003, 09:14 PM

SuchAZ you have been to Cabo several times and never seen hookers, strippers or drunks.

Did you ever leave your Room?

The Stripper Bars are across the Street or Adjacent to some of Cabo's famous tacky tourist watering holes.

The trade is still active and hot and there is lots of action in the outside the girly bars, on the street and hanging out in watering hole pit stops.

Here is the guide:
http://wsgforum.com/
on the Left side of the Page is the Main index for the Forum there you can search Mexico the West coast and read all about It!

Old May 24th, 2003, 08:59 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Would your timeshare apply to another Marriott property, for instance, in Puerto Vallarta? Or even Cancun?
Old May 24th, 2003, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Suze; Yes our timeshare could be traded to any Marriott, but we are alreadt confirmed at VDP.
Old May 24th, 2003, 03:42 PM

Hey Capt.Mike read that forum on Cabo, and it is hot and heavy down there. Business appears to be brisk and going full steam in the sex industry. But LOL, the prices, the prices are as outrageous as dinner tabs!
Old May 25th, 2003, 10:14 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Oh well, maybe next time??? Why I asked is the Casa Magna Marriott in the Marina at Puerto Vallarta is a gorgeous property. And PV is a much different place than Cabo, for the better (IMO).
Old May 25th, 2003, 11:16 AM

Cabo is full of people bothering you on your vacation. I never said no thank you more in my life. And we stayed in a five star hotel and half the people at the pool was sick with Montezzumas revenge. I'll never go back.
Old May 25th, 2003, 07:15 PM

Tonja , sure you weren't staying in one of those hotels that pump the shit straight into the ocean?

Wouldn't want to go swimming near one of those.

Then again Cabo's sewage treatment is sadly lacking and very antiquated. Only 45 percent are hooked up {wonder what the rest are doing} and even then the system can't handle the volume so the overflow oozes up thru the city grates. Wouldn't want to eat at a place near one of those grates, the sludge drys out and turns to dust and you get to breath it {ugh} into your lungs. Always used to wonder why everyone had bad coughs down there.

Remember Cabo's a desert and everything turns to dust {cough , cough}

Strippers, hookers, drugs, timescare, beach vendorin at its worst. What a way to spend a vacation. Oh, by the way, you pay thru those nose for everything. Five star prices for third world crap.
Old May 26th, 2003, 03:39 PM

From the May 18th page 23 Gringo Gazette

"150 dead pelicans found at a lagoon neighbouring the Villa Del Palmar."

So far no word on an investigation of why so many dead birds. Interesting, very interesting.