Is Bocas Town noisy at night?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have read that it can be noisy. Is it too noisy at Hotel Bocas del Toro. Would it be better to stay at Hotel Angela. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Not a party animal but nice to have more variety.
Thanks for your help
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 02:27 PM

We stayed at Cocomo by the Sea last Feb. and I can honestly say that we didn't hear anything at night time. This could be because we were tired from our fun and busy days.I think that Cocomo is down a bit from the hotels that you mentioned but you can look on a map. We walked around down and went out for dinner the nights we were there and it was lively but not loud. Have fun
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Do you recommend Cocomo? How far a walk is it to town. Any recommendations for snorkeling tours?
Thanks
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 02:56 PM

McCadden,
We spent every evening in town, walking, have a drink, dining, using the internet, making calls, just hanging out. It never seemed loud. Very relaxed atmosphere.

Just to offer another alternative, we stayed over on Isla Carenera (2 min. by water taxi from Isla Colon and Bocas town) at a little place on the water called Dona Mara. It was quiet, nice, inexpensive, and very comfortable. I think we paid something like $40 per night, breakfast and tax included! The Bucaneer was right next to us, but a couple we met and spoke with (and did a couple of tours with) were a bit disappointed for the price they paid. I'll have to say, ours was an excellent value. Next to us, and closer a tiny bit to Isla Colon, was another place that looked very nice. Wish I could remember the name of it. Bocas is a fun place for a few days--enjoy!
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Looks like a nice place. Is there snorkeling off the beach?
Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 03:39 PM

Not that I am aware, but there might be. Most people took the day trips (we used JJ Water Sports) for dolphin watching, snorkeling (gorgeous coral--all different colors), and a visit to Red Frog Beach on Isla Bustamante.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 04:15 PM

It's been a couple years, but I think Cocomo (where we stayed) is right down the street from Angela. Also close to the hostel Mondo Taito, which, at the time, had a very fun little bar. The hostel kids thought it was 'cool' that we 50+ folks enjoyed stopping in for a drink.

I like Bocas, unfortunately, it rained the entire six days we were there. Almost nonstop. The border with Costa Rica was closed since the road washed out. It was a mess. Hope to make it back some day and have some better weather.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 04:20 PM

JeanH. .were you there in January? Sounds like January weather.

We lucked out, I think. It rained during the night and morning until about 10:00 each day, then would be gorgeous the rest of the day. We worried about it the day we were scheduled to take the water taxi across to the mainland at 9:00 for departure. . .but THAT day it was dry in the a.m.! I have a friend in Canada who orders weather for me. . .!
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 04:52 PM

Yes, I would recommend Cocomo by the Sea. It was very easy to makes reservations and the staff was very helpful when we were there. It's very close to the airport. We walked with some local children helping us. The Cocomo doesn't have many rooms, I think they may have four. As soon as we arrived I asked for a water taxi to take us to lunch at a place that I had read about that was on the water. We truly changed and left for a wonderful day on the water. They also serve a wonderful breakfast.Enjoy
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 05:37 PM

Yep, Shillmac, we were there in January. The rest of our trip was wonderful, and we really didn't have a bad time in Bocas, just would have been better with some sun.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 06:54 PM

Yeah, I know what you mean. The rain is nice unless it refuses to let up! We were in Puerto Viejo once in January and it was so stormy at night--electricity kept going out. We used a candle stuck in an Imperial bottle! I brought those home and still have them as a memento! We were lucky then, even, because the days were relatively dry, except for a few sprinkles. It can get really rough in that area that time of year with flooding, etc.