Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Is 45 min enough time to make connecting flight in Panama City?

Jul 14th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Hi guys,

I'm heading to Peru in November and am trying to lock in my airfare. Copa currently has a good price that I'd like to take advantage of.

The flight heads from Orlando, FL to Panama City. I would then have 45 minutes to make my connecting Copa flight to Lima. Does this seem like a reasonable amount of time? Anyone out there have much experience with Copa or flying through Panama City?

Many thanks for any insight you can offer.
Jul 14th, 2008, 02:42 PM

I would never take a connection that short anywhere. All it takes is for your first flight to have a small delay and you're out of luck for the connection.
Jul 14th, 2008, 02:51 PM

Dear cmerrell:

I can't help you with your Panama connection. Hopefully someone will chime in. Normally I wouldn't try a connection like this, but we did a 30 minute connection in San Salvador on our way to Costa Rica. On the way back, we had a 5 hr. layover in San Sal, but they held the plane to SFO for the later flight from San Jose.

I think it will depend on the airport size and if you are connecting thru the same airline.

Good luck.

MY
Jul 14th, 2008, 03:01 PM

It would make me nervous! I've done close connections like that on occasion but usually bite my fingernails to the nub! I'm guessing Panama City is a fairly small airport, which would make it easier, but I don't know. If you're on Copa for both legs, they might hold the plane, although no guarantee. I think it's risky.
Jul 14th, 2008, 03:47 PM

Hi cam--it would make me nervous, too. Most of the time it would probably be okay, but the percentage of times it would NOT work is probably in the 30%-40% range, just guessing. Sounds like you're cooking up something fun!
Jul 14th, 2008, 06:11 PM

I just flew to Quito via Panama City on Copa. My connection time was 1 hour 10 mins.

We sat on the plane after we landed for about 10 minutes. I made out okay but I was nervous that I was going to miss my connection to Quito. It seemed most people on my flight were catching connections.

Jul 14th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! You've confirmed my apprehensions.

The short layover time made me nervous as well, but I didn't know if this was perhaps typical scheduling for Copa through Panama City.

I don't see any later flights listed on their site to Lima that day, so I guess I'd better choose a different airline with more time padding. It's a pity, because they have a really great airfare advertised! Oh, well...

Hi shillmac! I am indeed trying to cook up something fun for this year! A bit of a break from Costa Rica, but I'm chomping at the bit for BdC next year! ;-)
Jul 14th, 2008, 08:22 PM

Did you try posting your question on tripadvisor? Perhaps more experts there.

MY
Jul 14th, 2008, 08:22 PM

I wish that low fare would work for you. With my Belize FF trip next March, I have a little over an hour for a connection, and am a bit nervous about that even. Just the possibility that one could lose an entire first day! What are your plans for Peru? Macchu Piccu?
Jul 14th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for TripAdvisor suggestion, MY. The Copa deal may expire before I can act anyway, but the fare would have saved me over 100$ from the next lowest competitor. Upond further thought, I'd rather spend the extra $$ for a less risky flight itinerary.

You're going to Belize, Jill? How exciting! I'll look forward to hearing about your plans.

I'm going to Peru with a couple of old roommates from my college days (we've been friends for decades and now all live in different parts of the country). We'll be focusing on Machu Picchu, Cusco and the Sacred Valley of the Incas for this adventure. We've been batting around the idea since the beginning of the year and finally all committed to go in November. We haven't all been together in over a decade so I'm really looking forward to it!
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:11 AM

Sounds like a great trip. Just the girls--that's always fun. DD and I are thinking Buenos Aires in November of 2009, but would have to go over Thanksgiving, and that bothers me a bit. November is a good time, though, from what I've heard. Enjoy the planning!
Jul 15th, 2008, 01:13 AM

About Belize, I'm sneaking around behind DH's back and planning this one. He has expressed interest before, and I was able to get the FF miles, so that helps. If I can get by with it, I'll keep it quiet, then hopefully get his cooperation in packing and going to the airport without knowing where he is going! A mystery trip. . . .sounds easy, but may be tough!
Jul 15th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Jill, your surprise trip sounds wonderful! I hope you can keep it on the QT. Mr. Shillmac will love it!

Buenos Aires would be very cool as well. Argentina is definitely on my list. Is tully still heading down there this year?

Alright, off to look for Lima airfare...