Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Irrational fear of slippery roads - need help! (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/irrational-fear-of-slippery-roads-need-help-516552/)

Tami_J Mar 28th, 2005 03:37 PM

Irrational fear of slippery roads - need help!

Arrive San Jose 7:24 go to Manual Antonio
Manual Antonio - Mango Moon or Como Si No
Manual Antonio - Mango Moon or Como Si No

Monteverde- Hotel Fonda Vela
Monteverde- Hotel Fonda Vela

Arenal Volcano- Hotel Arenal Paraiso
Arenal Volcano- Hotel Arenal Paraiso

La Paz Waterfall Gardens - Peace Lodge
La Paz Waterfall Gardens & Sarchi – Peace Lodge

Flight out of SJO Costa Rica 10am

I have the above end-of-November itinerary booked except hotel in MA. I really would like to go to all of the destinations (but would be willing to revise any of it.) I am beginning to think about transportation between destinations and this is where I am getting cold feet.
Acquaintances went to Costa Rica last year in April, and on Good Friday their car went over a cliff as they tried to stop but the mud was so slick it was to no avail. Their son was thrown out of the car and was badly injured. They jumped out of the car and were more fortunate to suffer only bad bruising and shock. There are additional unpleasant details they went through, but they are mostly okay now. When I was told of this last year, I thought well I’ll never go there … and yet, here I am planning a trip one year later. I have told myself car accidents happen here (SF Bay Area) all of the time and I still get on the freeway, but the constant posts regarding the horrible road conditions have me very concerned.
I am trying to alleviate my fear by garnering as much info as I can. I think I have read that the road from MA to Monteverde is only bad the last bit. Is this correct? I think the road from Arenal to San Jose is mostly okay as well??? I believe the road between Monteverde and Arenal is the one that is horrendous?? I know I could hire a driver between these locations, and I may do that, but I may also eliminate Monteverde and fly on NatureAir from Quepos to Arenal. Also, in general, how rainy is it the last part of November. Please, any helpful suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks for all your help.

shillmac Mar 28th, 2005 06:29 PM

You shouldn't encounter much rain by that time. The roads really aren't that big of a deal, although what happened to your friends is horrible and unfortunate. Still, an accident of that nature would be very rare. You can relax and do your vacation however you'd like--self drive or driver.

Your hotel choices sounds excellent and your itinerary is good as well. Sure, there is a lot of traveling around, but if you really want to see all those places, it's do-able.

You could also have a wonderful time by cutting one of them out, either Arenal or Monteverde, should you become too nervous about all the moving about--more of a concern for me is all the time it eats up getting from one place to another!

I like your idea of ending up relaxing at Peace Lodge--I think you have the Pura Vida idea going for you already!

tbelgian Mar 29th, 2005 06:18 AM

We were advised to drive during the daylight hours, and that was very good advise. We were there during the dry season and still there where parts of roads that were washed out. We saw a few accidents. One guy had his rental on it's side in a washout. There aren't gaurde rails like we have. They do put sticks, (like tree limbs,) into the washouts so you'll be inclined to drive around the stick and then see what they were warning you about. The flights are a good idea.

arbegold Mar 29th, 2005 09:29 AM

We drove SJ to Arenal to Monteverde to MA in Feb. No rain, dry roads. SJ to Arenal was recently repaired and saw no more than 10 pot holes during the 3 1/2 hour drive. Arenal to Monteverde took 5 1/2 hours, the first 3 1/2 hours on good road, the last 2 on a terrible, but doable rocky, dusty road.
Out of Monteverde to MA there's about 50 minutes of the same kind of road, but them you hit the Pan Am highway and the road is very good to MA. We didn't see any cars in ditches (there really aren't many). The hotels you chose are very good.

Ally Mar 29th, 2005 09:39 AM

Last I heard, there were no flights into Arenal from anywhere. I don't think that flight would be an option for you!

tully Mar 29th, 2005 09:50 AM

Ally, Nature Air is starting up flights again after May 1st (from Sjo & Quepos via San Jose).

Haven't heard about Sansa, but then again I think they had the 2 crashes there so maybe not for them.

Tami_J Mar 29th, 2005 04:51 PM

Thank you everybody for your responses. But I just have to ask - plane crashes in Arenal?? Am I trading one worry for another? Thanks again.

shillmac Mar 29th, 2005 06:28 PM

Sansa flew into the side of Arenal about 5-6 years ago, is that correct everyone? Flights to Arenal were discontinued after that.

tully Mar 29th, 2005 07:16 PM

shillmac, you're correct. I keep thinking there was 2 there, but it was actually just 1, a couple days after the big eruption in 2000. I keep adding those 2 events together. Hopefully those problems will never arise again.

to Tami, I would do MA, Arenal then Peace Lodge, leaving Monteverde for your next trip. Wear your seat belt, drive safely and enjoy the beautiful scenery, don't be nervous!