Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Interbus - Yay or Nay (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/interbus-yay-or-nay-467655/)

MNP Aug 17th, 2004 05:09 AM

Interbus - Yay or Nay

Just wondering about interbus. We are thinking of using them to get us from Monteverde to Manuel Antonio. The cost is 38 dollars per person. How many people fit in these vehicles? Are the drivers good? Is there a better way to get from Monteverde to MA? We will not be renting a car. WE are open to hiring a private driver aslo. Any reccomendations?

Thank you!!

shillmac Aug 17th, 2004 05:32 AM

Yes, Interbus is a good option. The drivers are very careful. These are small turismo vans transporting small groups of people. Comfortable and safe.

Molly2 Aug 17th, 2004 06:38 AM

We used Interbus twice, on fairly long trips, on our recent trip to Costa Rica, and were very pleased with them. The vans were, as shillmac says, quite comfortable, and the drivers were careful and friendly. They stopped for lunch and rest breaks along the way, and pointed out things as we drove along, in limited English. On one drive,there were only four of us in the van.

Shanah Aug 17th, 2004 08:04 AM

We used interbus from Monteverde to MA- they were great, on time, comfortable, less expensive than private driver. Their competetor is Greyline bus- we booked with them because interbus was full to take us from MA to airport and they didn't show up. Just barely got home had to find a private driver quickly.

MNP Aug 17th, 2004 12:17 PM

Thanks guys!
One more question. Would you reccomend me booking with interbus before I get to Costa Rica or is this something we can do from there with no worries???

shillmac Aug 17th, 2004 12:23 PM

MNP,At this time of year (or any other, probably), booking them once you get there will be no problem. Your hotel at Monteverde will more than likely be happy to do that for you! Make it easy on yourself--and enjoy your time in Costa Rica!

bluepie Feb 20th, 2005 09:23 AM

Are there interesting side trips on the way from Monteverte to MA, that would warrent spending the extra money on a private driver?

hopabout Feb 20th, 2005 04:12 PM

Hi,
I use both Interbus and Greyline and I am happy with both services. Our roads are not good in many places. Up to Monteverde is a driving challenge and hard on vehicles. Thus the higher fee. Sometimes...these vehicles have problems, just like yours at home.

I suggest you book online before you come. It is tourist season and the buses have regular routes each day. They fill with a small group and you may not get a seat. HOWEVER, please make sure you get a voucher on line for your ticket and you might even have your hotel call them in advance of your travel to make sure everything is OK. I do that for all my guests.

If you need the name of a private driver, please feel free to e-mail me and I will help you. The charge is generally between $100-$125 and $150 per day and depends on where you are going as to the amount, both distance-wise and difficulty-driving-wise.

[email protected]
hopabout

Verano Feb 25th, 2005 07:59 AM

I am also considering Interbus, but my flight arrives early in San Jose so I am trying to avoid staying the night. They said there is a pick up near the airport. Does anyone know how long customs takes at the airport? Are those departure times accurate or are they on Island time?