Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Info Pls (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/info-pls-465023/)

chessiegirl Aug 5th, 2004 11:42 AM

Info Pls

I am returning to CR in Oct 2004 for 1 week. Went in 9/03 and loved it. This is what I accomplished on that trip (also 1 wk): stayed at Ocotal Hotel went diving 4 days, Monteverde, Aernal, tabacon, waterfall (Fortuna). I will still be in Guanacaste this trip also (more diving) but would like recommendations on a few other day trips. Can anyone suggest other waterfalls, volcanos, wildlife (including butterflies/hummingbirds) or park trips that I can accomplish in a (long) day? I'm staying at Nakuti. Thanks to all.

was_gannetmusic Aug 5th, 2004 02:59 PM

The Rincon de la Vieja National Park has several beautiful waterfalls, boiling mud pots, boiling springs, hot springs, several beautiful rivers and a mildly active volcano. No lava flow there for many years but infrequent eruptions of ash.
Hiking to see these features can take anywhere from an hour or less or up to 2 1/2 hours one way over easy to moderate terrain.
Wildlife is quite plentiful with blue morpho butterflies,lots of birds, coatis and monkeys often conspicuous.
A local lodge has a canopy tour that is supposed to be very good.
Several companies arrange day trips to Rincon or you can drive there. A 4 wheel drive vehicle is just about essential from the main hwy just north of Liberia, especially in the wet season.
This will get you into a fascinating landscape - the entrance road passes several large working cattle ranches and traverses a strange looking terrain over ancient lava flows.
Much more 'nature in the raw' than you saw on your previous trips but still accessable. The park is about a one hour drive northeast of Liberia [about 30 km or so].

cheers

Jerry

shillmac Aug 5th, 2004 04:44 PM

I agree with Jerry. The Rincon de la Vieja area is one of the most wonderful, yet often overlooked, areas of Costa Rica. The canopy/mudpot, bath, hot springs is a wonderful tour! We were at Nakuti for dinner one night (visiting another guest) last year and thought it looked like a very nice property. Let us know what you think! We have always wanted to do a little exploring at Santa Rosa Parque Nacional. It is also north of Liberia, on the coast. It might be worth checking out!

chessiegirl Aug 6th, 2004 05:23 AM

Thanks so much for the Rincon suggestion. You read my mind, that was actually what I also meant to ask about--if it was worth seeing. Ok, I'm not big on driving myself but I will definitely arrange to go there this time. Also, I think I read about people horseback riding. Is that really worth it? You know, we've all done the riding thing to death, would it be something more special? I did the canopy already, so I may pass on that this time. Could you believe the one day I go to Mont. the butterfly farm was not open due to upgrading. But I did get to see Aernal flowing at night. Thanks again so much to all.

shillmac Aug 6th, 2004 07:48 AM

We took 2 tours to the Rincon. . one to ride in the tropical dry forest and another to do the canopy and mud baths/springs. It was our first trip to CR, so we were quite WOWED! If you've no interest in doing more of the same, you could still enjoy hiking. There is a great water slide down the side of the mountain that is quite a rush near the mud pots. $15 bucks a shot, but, as I said, quite a rush. Long and fast and cold!