Reload this Page >

Inexpensive PDC hotels/condos on beach

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29th, 2000, 09:02 AM
Lorraine Branham

My family (2 adults, 4 kids) will be on the Mayan Riviera Mar.22-29, 2000. We would like a hotel/condo/bungalow on the beach in Playa del Carmen. We are not interested in making the hotel the focus of our visit - something with Mexican or tropical atmosphere, not a resort, but with a beach and hammocks. We are looking for inexpensive (say $50-$100)if possible. Any recommendations? Tour books recommend Albatros Royale, Hotel Alejari, Maya Bric, Blue Parrot, Treetops. Thank you very much!

Old Feb 29th, 2000, 01:05 PM
Karen

Lorraine- We (family of 3) just returned from 6 nights at the Albatros. Great location and good value for the money. Rooms are very small - I can't imagine a family of 6 going into just one room. 2 dbl beds, open closet area and bathroom - spartan, but "Mexican" in feel. The breakfast buffet (included in room price) is excellent. Nice selection of pastries, fresh fruits, cereals, made-to-order eggs & omelets and a hot line w/ Mexican foods. The 2nd story rooms are neat - thatched palapa roof - and have balconies with a hammock. Avoid the units on the street side if you like to sleep-in in the mornings.

Old Feb 29th, 2000, 03:34 PM
Lorraine

Karen - Thanks for the information! Will we need advance reservations, do you think? Do you remember seeing the <BR>Hotel Alejari? Lorraine

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 03:30 PM
Karen

Sorry - I must have walked past it a number of times, but I did not go in and check it out. <BR>We arrived at Albatros on Thursday and there were plenty of rooms, but by Saturday it was full. I think reservations are a must. There is an 800 number on their web page. I made reservations thru my travel agent to get a better deal on the airfare. <BR>Other hotels you asked about: Treetops is next door to Albatros, one away from the beach. It is under construction, so I don't know if it is open or not. Gaping open walls when we were there last week. <BR>Blue Parrot is little bit further north on the beach than Albatros. The water was full of seaweed there and fishing boats moor right out front. I wouldn't go there, especially for a beach vacation with kids. <BR>Have you checked into El Faro? Looked real nice from the outside - I don't know prices. <BR>FYI - north of the ferry dock in predominantly European travelers. Lots of topless sunbathing and swimming, in case that sort of thing bothers you.

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 04:38 PM
Lorraine

Karen - thanks again. We are also considering El Tucan Condotel, which is north of town (between 14 & 16) on Ave. 5. It has a beach club with shuttle, but the beach is 180 meters away. Any opinion or suggestion? I'll check El Faro. Thanks! Lorraine