I'm broke! Any ideas?

Jun 13th, 2000, 02:29 PM
Marie

I'm broke! Any ideas?

Hi--I recently graduated college. While I was in school I was studying Spanish and, now that I've graduated, I don't have the resources to keep on studying. I'm interested in finding a very inexpensive language course or program that would help me--and, if this isn't asking too much, somehow get me down to Latin America! Thanks for any ideas you can share with me.

Marie

Jun 13th, 2000, 07:36 PM
d motl

would recommend Isla Mujeres. A small island off cancun. They have a youth hostel for about $6/night. You will meet youth from all over the world.
They also have mom and pop places with private rooms and bathroom for about $18-$20. We are well travled and have found this place to offer the most bang for the buck while being totally safe. We have a 15 page travel document on the island which we can e-mail you if you request. dan and ginny.

Jun 14th, 2000, 09:19 AM
Susan

Marie, are you wanting to be on the coast or inland? Isla Mujeres is wonderful, but I'd be very surprised if there was a language program there. Since there are a lot of tourists visiting the island, many people do speak English. It's more like a very low key resort town. In terms of Mexico, there are probably programs in Guanajuato (a wonderful colonial city a few hours north of Mexico City). I haven't been to Morelia or Patzcuaro yet (hopefully next trip) but I have heard that they are also very nice colonial towns. Oaxaca in the south of Mexico is also very interesting. I also have heard that there are good language programs in Guatemala (which is apparently inexpensive for travel) anbd Costa Rica (which will be more expensive). If you do a search on this forum, I think there may have been some information posted fairly recently.

Good luck.

Jun 14th, 2000, 11:02 AM
detroit5

Hi Marie:

You might want to check this out. I just signed up to "Share Parlo with a Friend" and I might win a trip to study Spanish in Central/South America.
Can't get any cheaper than that!

http://www.parlo.com/

I've be studying Spanish online for a while--with my crazy schedule that's all I can do. You might want to check it out. Nothing to lose!

Jun 14th, 2000, 09:54 PM
Tracy

Marie,
When I was in college I went to Latin America and taught English. Every major city has English language institutes for children or business people. I taught at a language institute in Paraguay and also taught private lessons. You won't get rich, but you will make enough to support yourself if you live modestly.

Personally, I would recommend forgetting about language courses - just surround yourself with native Spanish speakers. I became fluent in 3 months. Another idea, check out scholarship info at your college. At the University of Minnesota, where I went to school, they have a great International Student Travel Center - they even offer internship/job info in other countries.
Buenas suerte. Vale la pena viajar!

Jun 15th, 2000, 10:19 AM
dan woodlief

I was going to say the same thing Tracy said. Look into teaching English somewhere in Latin America.

Jun 19th, 2000, 11:01 AM
lisa

There is something in Frommer's Budget Travel on-line newsletter today about a novel way to get to Latin America inexpensively -- but there's a catch. Go to www.frommers.com

Jun 22nd, 2000, 10:46 AM
Lisa

Another great way to learn a language is to get into an international volunteer program. Many of these pay for the flight and your food/houseing while you're there. At the end of your time, you can just extend your stay if you want to.

Search this Thread