Search

Iguazu - What to do?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iguazu - What to do?

We have 2 days at Iguaçu and staying at the Sheraton. We plan to spend the 1 entire day on the Argentinian side (we arrive previous night) and on the second day we plan to go see the Brazilian side and then catch a 5:30pm flight from the Brazilian airport. And yes, we do have Brazilian visas. Can you suggest:
1) what to do on the Argentinean side? boat tours? walks? I believe there is a bird sanctuary close by? Any suggestions on what tour operators to use and costs?
2) Any suggestions on what to do on the Brazilian side and private transportation options to go from the Sheraton - sightsee Brazilian side - Brazilian airport drop off.
Thanks for you suggestions
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 07:26 AM

If you visit the bird sanctuary, will you tell me about it?

I personally would avoid the noisy helicopters, but they are supposed to give you a good look at the falls.
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 11:24 AM

All my comments are about the Argentina side....

1. All you have to do is walk out the back door of the Sheraton and begin your Iguzua adventure. There are three circuts to take: 1. Upper Falls, 2. Lower Falls, and 3. Devil's Throat. The first two are walking paths. The third...take the tram to the devil's throat station and follow the path. There is no charge for beyond the national park entrance fee.

2. Go to the lobby in the Sheraton and buy tickets for the boat ride that takes you out under the falls. You will be drenched but happy at the end. I do not remember the price but it is around US40, I think.

3. For a different type of adventure, try Iguazuforest.com This group offers several excursions. I took the half day adventure that included rappelling down the side of a waterfall and canopying. The total, including pick up and return to the hotel was 80 pesos per person (about 25 dollars) in September.
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 11:34 AM

In the lobby area of the Sheraton there are vendors for the river/falls boat trips. They offer an interesting view of the falls, but you will get wet! As far as walks, all the catwalks and trails are self guided and easy walking, but they are long and can also be wet. While there are many birds in the area around the falls as well as right by the falls, I think the bird sanctuary you refer to is on the Brazilian side. There are upper and lower level trails and depending on your pace and stops at look outs, it is easy to spend a day just enjoying the trails. I have not done the Brazilian side, but there are taxi drivers as well as tour companies at the Iguazu airport eager to take tourists there. The falls are awesome, and IMO the added cost of the Sheraton is worth it for convenience of being in the park before and after the tour buses arrive or leave the national park. The meals are only so so, but the convenience of being able to change into dry clothes after the river tour is wonderful. You will not forgot the roar of the falls!
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Is this the boat ride Dr drdawggy is referring to??
http://www.iguazujunglexplorer.com/ing_av_%20naut.htm
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 03:59 AM

Yes, that is it. Just seeing the pictures makes me want to pack my bags!
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks drdawggy! Perfect
Would you recommend the Great adventure and/or Ecological ride offered along with the boat trip or just the boat trip and the Upper Lower fall walks as you previously mentioned?
http://www.iguazujunglexplorer.com/ing_pasap_%20ver.htm
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 07:54 AM

The great adventure tour is the one where you get wet. Very fun.

One other tour that no one has mentioned is a 6am birdwalk with Daniel Somay of Explorador Expediciones. A must if you are into birds and nature. He has a table on the lower floor of the Sheraton.

Cheaper, better lunch options are a very short walk from the hotel, at the "old hotel" where you will pick up your truck if you go on the grand adventure.
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 03:32 PM

We rented bicycles from a company that offered excursions (there are several desks at the Sheraton) and followed a cycle path that took us past natural swimming pools.