Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Iguana lodge or Black Turtle lodge? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/iguana-lodge-or-black-turtle-lodge-338975/)

tflanag1 Apr 7th, 2008 04:43 PM

Iguana lodge or Black Turtle lodge?

For our honeymoon, my fiance and I are sold on BDC. We'll be spending four nights there in early August. However, after BDC, we are going to stay 2 more nights in Osa, near the beach at either Black Turtle Lodge or Iguana Lodge.

For those of you that are familiar with these places give some advice?

Thank you!

owlwoman Apr 8th, 2008 05:06 AM

We stayed at the Iguana Lodge for 2 nights before BDC. Really enjoyed the stay there, food was great, place was well laid out, a bit more secluded than the Black Turtle and I think a little more upscale. It was nice being on the beach for a couple of days.

We passed the entrance to the BT on the way to the IL, but really cannot tell you much about it.

If you do stay at the IL, just make sure you ask for a cabina upstairs, it's where we would have preferred to have been.

Also, if you can be there on a Fri. night, it's "Salsa/pasta" night, you eat dinner in the restaurant that's open to the public and they have a DJ/Dancing, it was very lively and a lot of fun. Other meals are served in the reception/library building (I think they do a bar-b-que on the beach one night too).

Hope this helps.

shillmac Apr 8th, 2008 06:50 PM

It helps me, too, owlwoman, as I am trying to decide on someplace in Puerto Jimenez for 3 nights AFTER BdC. We really need to scale down on the budget, though, as we have another 2 weeks after that including a couple of nights at Peace Lodge. Gotta do some budget hotels SOMEPLACE! :)

dfarmer Apr 9th, 2008 05:39 AM

Can't help you with Black Turtle, but I do recall a very recent positive review.

We split our trip to the Osa between Iguana Lodge and BdC. Was very pleased! I too recommend you request an upstairs room. The food was very good. Being able to walk a few steps to the beach was wonderful. The trails around the small property are very nicely landscaped. Lots of birds when we were there. Very few people. Beach was almost always nearly deserted.

Jill, looks like they have really done some updates next door at the Pearl. Pictures on the web look very nice. I would think that would give you a wonderful choice of a lesser expensive place to try down there. We really did enjoy both properties. Only 5 -10 mins away from PJ airstrip. Plus the close proximity of lots of day trip opportunities. I still believe this split IL/BdC is the best of both worlds! I do think it best to do IL first, as you know, once you get to BdC you never want to leave~!!

aqualime Apr 9th, 2008 06:36 AM

Hi! I have stayed at Black Turtle Lodge and loved it, but it would have been a bit rustic for me for a honeymoon, but then again so would BDC. If you are going to do an Iguana Lodge/Black Turtle - BDC split. I agree go to IL/BT first and then BDC (save best for last), if possible. For a honeymoon, I think Iguana Lodge would be my first choice, just because you have a bit more dining options and a bar, then Black Turtle Lodge 2nd and Pearl of the Osa (rooms at Iguana Lodge above bar) third due to lack of privacy. Just my two cents. Do the wildlife santuary and kayaking from there because it will be less expensive than from BDC once you factor in transportation. Have fun!!