Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   If you had to pick an all-inclusive in Costa Rica... (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/if-you-had-to-pick-an-all-inclusive-in-costa-rica-813721/)

costaricalover Nov 9th, 2009 09:43 AM

If you had to pick an all-inclusive in Costa Rica...

Hi fellow fodorites,
Friends of mine (couple, early 60's) have finally caught the Costa Rica bug from me and want to travel there next February. They are insistent on doing an all-inclusive for their first trip. I have really tried to communicate the beauty of Costa Rica's small boutique hotels to them, but to no avail. Can anyone out there recommend an all inclusive that gives you that Costa Rican feeling? Lots of wildlife? Can be in the interior, doesn't have to be on a beach. Thannks to all!

qwovadis Nov 9th, 2009 01:25 PM

www.costarica.bookit.com best packages on sale.

2 best AI's currently

www.paradisus-playa-conchal.com and

www.riu.com Playa Matapalo brand new good reviews close to

www.rincondelavieja.net better for adventure wildlife...

Happy Hunting,

shillmac Nov 10th, 2009 03:56 AM

We've always enjoyed Paradisus Playa Conchal. It is pricey (and back when we stayed there, it was just for a weekend occasionally), but Playa Conchal behind the resort is a beautiful soft shell beach. They'll have to do tours for wildlife viewing. Nice area, though.

bfish Nov 10th, 2009 05:04 AM

Also look into Flamingo Beach Resort. They offer AI, and you can go To Mar y Sol and Angelinas across the street for a great meal too.

ParkerSunshine Nov 10th, 2009 06:34 AM

work harder to convince them other wise. put up a post here asking "why shouldn't we stay at an all inclusive in CR" and then email it to them!

shillmac Nov 10th, 2009 08:59 AM

Totally agree with Flamingo Beach Resort, but would never choose the AI option there. SO many good places to eat nearby, and very easy to get to with a vehicle. Not much driving required to fly into Liberia, rent, go to Flamingo Beach Resort, and get yourself around for a week. Again, wildlife only through special tours/arrangements. Beautiful beach, though! We stay here almost every year, and drive over to Conchal to enjoy the shell beach/clear water.

volcanogirl Nov 10th, 2009 09:19 AM

shillmac, where would the wildlife tours go? Would you have to travel far?

costaricalover Nov 10th, 2009 09:59 AM

Thanks for your replies, including Parker's very humourous one! I've emailed this page off to them.

CRvacations Nov 10th, 2009 03:10 PM

Paradisus is like any other all-inclusive in any other country. It's very nice but I'd suggest a "hotel" and have them go out and experience the great food and more of what Costa Rica has to offer. Why not offer them an all-inclusive villa. They can still go out if they want but can still enjoy homemade cuisine.

shillmac Nov 10th, 2009 05:10 PM

vgirl, Palo Verde on the Rio Corobici would be probably the closest (and one of the best, operated by the Organization for Tropical Studies). Otherwise, Rincon de la Vieja, couple of hours.