Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   If You Could Choose any Spot in Mexico...? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/if-you-could-choose-any-spot-in-mexico-72826/)

Gabe May 20th, 2000 04:13 PM

If You Could Choose any Spot in Mexico...?

I have only been to Cancun, Isla Mujeres, Puerto Adventuras, Playa Del Carmen and the Eldorado near Playa. Right now Isla is my favorite, but we are always looking for someplace new. Any suggestions about new vacation spots and hotels in these areas? Thanks in advance!

Dennis May 20th, 2000 05:11 PM

<BR>Try Puerto Vallart and stay at the Playa Los Arcos Hotel in Centro (Old Town)

d motl May 20th, 2000 06:59 PM

some times you have to quit while you are ahead. but oh well if your budget will allow it may we suggest Akumel. <BR>A quiet lagoon setting 60 mi so of Cancun. best facilities and location is Las Casitas Akumel. 1-800-5akumal <BR>2 bedroom 2 bath condo for around <BR>$200. Much more rural than Isla, Limited and somewhat more pricey dining. If you like Isla and can afford to spend more this is definately a good choice. If you want to go the other direction as far as cost may we suggest Isla Holbox. It is Isla 20 years ago. Dan and Ginny

Zack May 21st, 2000 02:43 PM

I have been around Mexico, and Puerto Vallarta by far is best. I love it there, the eather is always perfect, there are street markets, we always stay at the Krystal Vallarta, a beautiful resort where we rent our own villas and have our own private pools. It's wonderful, if you have more questions about it, don't hesitate to e-mail me

Parrot Mom May 22nd, 2000 06:08 AM

Puerta Vallarta.... Have been to Cozumel, Cancun (before the big hurricane), Manzanillo, just stopped off on a cruise ship in Acapulco, Cabo San Lucas, Guadalahara (sp) and Puerta Vallarta is my favorite over everything, charming, funky and touristy..

Sharoon May 22nd, 2000 07:23 PM

I would suggest Akumal as the best! The best place to stay is The Seven Seas at South Beach in akumal. 175/nt in high season. Very spacious condos..1400 sq. ft, two bedroom, pool, gorgeous bay with incredible snorkeling. If this sounds interesting to you, email me for more info! <BR>[email protected]

Susan May 23rd, 2000 08:02 AM

All the suggestions so far have been for beach vacations. While I enjoy the beach, the interior of Mexico is wonderful - cities like San Miguel de Allende and Guanajuato (north of Mexico City) and Oaxaca (south) are terrific to visit. <BR> <BR>Another great beach vacation destination is Zihuatanejo on the west coast. We spent a couple of weeks there last year and loved it.

gabe May 25th, 2000 10:16 AM

Thanks to everyone who responded- I want to try them all!! Will probably end up always returning to Isla though! Gabe

carol Jan 30th, 2001 07:18 PM

We've been to nearly every place in Mexico, and our favorite is Oaxaca, <BR>a quiet small city (stay in the center not at a hotel on the outskirts; walking is the most interesting and fun) with <BR>two major archeological sites outside of town (take a tour at any travel agency or larger hotel) and many many small villages each with their own craft specialty. You can go to them by bus but unless you have patience it will be a task; reserve a rental car in the states. <BR>I go to Puerto Vallarta every year to run a week long workshop and suggest the <BR>Playa de los Muertos area, hotel of your choice in your price range. It is the older part of town so has some charm, and many excellent restaurants of all types including those under straw roofs right on the beach edge. Best shop in <BR>town for Huichol Indian art (the owners actually stay with the Huicholes and <BR>know their ways) is Artesenia Flores tell them Dr.Carol sent you and you may <BR>get a discount or a gift.

mexicodan Jan 31st, 2001 08:23 AM

Try www.lamanzanillamexico.bizland.com/lamrentals

g&g Feb 3rd, 2001 02:05 PM

hey gabe, get out of the groove. puerto vallarta and oaxaca are great destinations! try it, you'll like it!

mark Jun 28th, 2001 03:37 PM

Different strokes for different folks; in PV the place to stay is the Camino Real Tower Rooms. Rooms are about 175 and include breakfast on a awesome terrance on the beach as well as happy hour drinks. Most of the rooms have jacuzzis on the decks overlooking the ocean. There is a private beach ringed by rocks; no vendors with jungle behind. It is one of my favorite hotels in the world. (I liked it better than Hotel Bora Bora at 450 per nite).<BR><BR>If you want raw and eclectic, try Casa Del Humperdink in La Paz. Strange place owned by Engelbert Humperdink. Funky. But thereis a trip out to swim with the sea lions at thier rookery that is unreal. Swim WITH 300-700 lb animals playing with you. Mind blower.<BR><BR>As noted above Akumal is awesome too.

Teresa Jul 19th, 2001 03:45 PM

HI <BR>We just got back from Akumal. The lagoon there is nice and so is the snorkeling, but we had trouble with a theft at a villa we stayed at called Las Hamacas. Stay at an all-inclusive resort and by all means USE THE SAFE!!! Tulum was great. Deserted beaches and beautiful! Play del Carmen is a fun spot too. Be careful when you park your rental car...the police took our license plates and when you return the car they tell you it is because you have done something illegal, like parking illegal. You will get a surprise charge on your credit card that you rented the car with...compliments of the MEXICO police. Feel free to e-mail me, I'll be glad to tell you more... <BR>Teresa