Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   If we decide to go to Belize... (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/if-we-decide-to-go-to-belize-817322/)

magnumholmes Dec 10th, 2009 06:38 PM

If we decide to go to Belize...

If we decide to go to Belize (Ambergris Caye), what must we do/get, precautions we must take before and during our trip? I have heard about shots, etc. Just need some advice on that.

Day Tour Suggestions: want to see the jungle, ruins, etc. (and relax)

I know some of you will realize I have posted a similar question before, but that was months ago and I cannot even pull up that info anymore.

Perhaps I ask things that you have discussed recently, but please help me out because we are planning for a March trip and need to finalize everything.

Thanks for any help.

Katie_Valk Dec 11th, 2009 03:39 AM

No shots required other than what you probably already have. Great day trips to the mainland to see Lamanai and Altun Ha sites; cave tubing, zip lines, zoo, jungle river trips, and horses.

qwovadis Dec 11th, 2009 03:41 AM

www.mdtravelhealth.com Belize best health info

Tours as above...

Fra_Diavolo Dec 11th, 2009 04:55 AM

"I know some of you will realize I have posted a similar question before, but that was months ago and I cannot even pull up that info anymore."

You mean this?:

http://www.fodors.com/community/mexi...-folks-get.cfm

Just click on your name. Anyway, the answer is short and Katie Valk has already answered it. Have a great trip.

magnumholmes Dec 11th, 2009 05:48 AM

Thanks for the replies. You guys are always on top of things.

magnumholmes Dec 11th, 2009 05:59 AM

That health stuff on that Web site almost scares a person out of going anywhere.

I know what the Web site says, but what are the absolute musts? I have been vaccinated for Rubella (as a child), tetanus some years back, Hep B for my work... Never for Rabies...

So what do you think? I am not trying to be a smart ass, just want to know what is absolutely necessary.

hopefulist Dec 11th, 2009 06:13 AM

I tend to follow the CDC advice: http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/destinationBelize.aspx

Though no shots are required, find out from your health department or doctor which routine shots you're due for - most adults are years behind and some of those diseases are still common in developing countries. I'd also be sure to get Hep A. Enjoy!

ShellD Dec 11th, 2009 07:29 AM

We went to Belize this past summer and didn't get any shots for that trip in particular. The mosquitos were quite bad, so I suppose you could talk to a doctor about issues resulting form that. I'd think as long as you're up to date on your regular health issues you'll be fine.

For excursions, from Ambergris Caye, we just stuck to the ones right there - snorkeling at Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley and Mexico Rocks. But you can do half and full day trips inland too. It would be nice to see some ruins while your in Belize. Part of our trip was on the mainland so we did those excursions during that part of our stay.

Have fun!

volcanogirl Dec 11th, 2009 08:03 AM

Bookmarking. :)

magnumholmes Dec 11th, 2009 08:07 PM

Thanks for the advice. I will heed.

However, I must still sell my wife on going to Belize. She's only luke warm, worried about disease, crime, etc. Got any ideas on how I can get her 100 percent behind this?

JeanH Dec 12th, 2009 04:05 AM

I work in a Pediatric Clinic that also does travel vaccine for the kids. Here's a few thoughts and recommendations.

The CDC recommends, and I certainly agree, that everyone who travels to Central America or Mexico, should be vaccinated against Hepatitis A. Two injections, six months apart give long term immunity. You'll be about 85% protected after the first shot.

The CDC also recommends Typhoid and anti-malarials. I keep my typhoid current because we travel to more remote places at times, I don't consider Ambergris remote. The water supply is good. I personally don't take anti-malarials while on Ambergris. I don't think think there have been any cases on the island for several years. However, if you're concerned, chloroquine, is cheap, and has few side effects.

As for safety, there is some crime on the island. If you use the usual precautions, you almost certainly won't have any problems. I will say that we no longer walk home along the beach in the dark. There have been a few purse snatchings.
Don't leave anything lying around, it will get taken.

I don't here about people getting ill from the food in Belize. We eat street food all the time, never had any issues. We also make ice out of tap water and use it to brush our teeth. I don't care for the taste, so we do drink bottled water.

As for excursions, the day trip to Lamanai is awesome. Long day, but lots of fun. Two boat trips and ride in a van/bus through the countryside. Lots of birds, usually crocodiles and howler monkeys. I recommend Tanisha Tours, been twice with them, excellent tour operator.

I've spent several weeks on the island by myself. I was only frightened once, the night Tropical Storm Arthur came through, and I thought it would never stop raining......

magnumholmes Dec 13th, 2009 07:45 AM

The Hep A thing kind of worries me, but we will talk to our doctor.

Thanks for the replies