Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Ideas for November Trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/ideas-for-november-trip-832663/)

SusanInToronto Mar 25th, 2010 08:13 AM

Ideas for November Trip

We spent a week there in April 2008 and really enjoyed it. Part of the appeal was the great snorkeling. Now we're thinking we'd like to go back but probably we can't get away until the fall. I was dismayed to learn that November is typically the wettest month of the year! Not so appealing.

We've been to Cozumel a few times, but usually in February or March (and also not for a few years). We did go to Isla Mujeres one year in early October and we were one step ahead of a major hurricane.

I know that there are no guarantees, but historically what's the weather like in Cozumel in November?

I really need something to look forward to! If I could away now, I would - we were on an Air Canada flight to Buenos Aires that got delayed in Santiago Chile last month. The airline put all the passengers up at a hotel, and the earthquake hit Chile that very night! After 6 days we were able to continue on to Buenos Aires, but the holiday was not the total break that I needed. So I'm thinking ahead to plan something else!

Or if you have any other ideas ........ Must be easy to get to, relatively inexpensive (we're budget travellers) and ideally a place where we can snorkel. Thanks!

Susan

volcanogirl Mar 25th, 2010 10:10 AM

You might check out Belize - Ambergris or Caye Caulker.

hopefulist Mar 25th, 2010 10:58 AM

"There" meaning Roatán, right? Belize is an option - we really enjoyed Caye Caulker last summer (in addition to half a dozen other stops). Are you set on blue water time? Some of my favorite haunts are highland areas in Guatemala.

Fra_Diavolo Mar 25th, 2010 12:24 PM

I think November is supposed to be the best time of year to visit India, but I don't know if that's on your list.

SusanInToronto Mar 25th, 2010 02:40 PM

India - no, that's definitely not in the cards for November. I want to be able to get a direct, preferably non-stop, flight from Toronto - maximum 4 or 5 hours. India doesn't fit that criteria!

Yes, I do want beach, and that's not at all what I normally go for. I loved visiting Guatemala and I'm sure I'll go back, but not this year. Both of us want sunshine and blue water. As I said, if we could go now, we would, but there's no way I'm able to get the time off work.

We spent a couple of weeks in Belize a few years ago (1 week on Ambergris, another week travelling around the interior). We both enjoyed it, but I'm not sure I want to go back.

Well, I guess I'll keep thinking of it.

volcanogirl Mar 25th, 2010 03:01 PM

Susan, where did you go in 2008? Somehow I missed it.

SusanInToronto Mar 25th, 2010 04:02 PM

Sorry, we went to Roatan in April 2008! Now I know why Stacey said 'there' being 'Roatan'! Sorry about that.

shelleyk Mar 25th, 2010 04:15 PM

How about Hawaii? It seems to fit all of your criteria. Hawaii is fairly cheap these days, even for ocean view rooms. And the snorkeling is very good on many of the islands.

SusanInToronto Mar 25th, 2010 05:09 PM

Thanks Shelley. Hawaii might be a possibility, but it's also a long way to go if we took just a week. There's a 6 hour time change between Toronto and Hawaii!

volcanogirl Mar 25th, 2010 05:20 PM

Gotcha, thanks!

Junejuly Mar 27th, 2010 07:17 AM

November is a perfect time to visit southwest Mexico. The rainy season typically ends the end of October. If you go at the beginning of November you can be there for the Day of the Dead celebrations; the end of November brings even better weather.

SusanInToronto Mar 27th, 2010 12:05 PM

I love Mexico (I've been there 15+ times) and we've covered a lot of the interior, but there's always more to see. But with only a week, I think we'll limit ourselves to a beach experience, so I'm thinking Cozumel. It's a really easy trip from Toronto - direct flight, just a few hours, very appealing. It's probably been close to a decade since I've been to Cozumel, so it'll be fun to see it again.

On the other hand, I may feel totally differently when we get to that point!

I really wish I didn't have to work ..........