Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Ideal Mexican Beach Spots? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/ideal-mexican-beach-spots-521458/)

JandL Apr 15th, 2005 08:21 AM

Ideal Mexican Beach Spots?

Planning a quick 5 night, post-wedding getaway the 2nd week in June. Have traveled extensively in Europe and the States, but never to Mexico. Looking for advice on where to go to find lovely beaches, good food, and maybe some snorkeling. Some nearby hiking or eco-activities would be a bonus.

Our idea of vacation hell is throngs of people and resort hotels and our budget is in the sub-$200 / night range. Please advise!

Thanks!

suze Apr 15th, 2005 09:37 AM

I love the Old Town area of Puerto Vallarta and think it is an extremely romantic get-away spot if you pick the right hotel. Fantastic restaurant choices and the town has a welcoming friendly atmosphere.

But for classically beautiful beaches, snorkeling, eco-stuff, I think the Caribbean side may offer more of what you are looking for.

PONCHOTJ Apr 15th, 2005 09:53 AM

Playa del Carmen south of Cancun and Cozumel will be my top recommendation to what you are looking for. Both have beautiful beaches and offer wide range of activities. The snorkeling in this part of Mexico is considered one of the best in the world. For some hiking you can visit Tulum or Chichen Itza on one of your days. I highly recommend you this part of Mexico. It does not have the colonial charm, but the natural beauty can not be missed.

JeanH Apr 15th, 2005 02:35 PM

For more of a small town Mexican feel, I'd recommend Isla Mujeres. Several, small beach front hotels, great food, wonderful zocalo where the tourists and the locals mingle. Very low key. Awesome beach.

Ryberg Apr 15th, 2005 03:55 PM

Plan your trip for the place with the beach that will have just received favorable weather and tides conditions the week prior to your arrival and you'll have the ideal beach spot! :-)

Steve

gores95 Apr 16th, 2005 03:17 AM

Where are you traveling from? I would think the choices could be affected by your ability to get a non-stop flight?

West coast would probably prefer the Pacific coast of Mexico: PV, Cabos, etc. East coast/Midwest: Cancun, Cozumel, Riviera Maya.

gals Apr 17th, 2005 12:48 PM

Tulum seems to be the place you are looking for. Wonderful beaches, some ruins nearby, and a lovely new hotel there : Don Diego de la Selva.
From Tulum, you can visit the cenotes, The Sian Kaan Biosphere, make snorkling ... I think it's much better than staying in Playa del Carmen (crowded) or Isla Mujeres,if you want to visit Mexico a little...
Have a good trip

syd Apr 18th, 2005 12:12 PM

Consider staying at Kailuum (www.kailuum.com). I stayed there last year and it was the most restorative week of my life. It's between Cancun and Playa del Carmen. You can snorkel, take day trips to the biosphere, cenotes, ruins.

I'd avoid Playa del Carmen. It's one of the fastest growing cities in Mexico.

Coskier Apr 18th, 2005 12:19 PM

JandL take a look at Akumal seems to fit the bill. I posted a trip report awhile back

cat396june Apr 18th, 2005 03:28 PM

I am a single female traveling alone to Acapulco in August/2005. Can some one tell me of any good hotels for a single woman looking for relaxation, rest, fun, spa, sun beach, etc. If not what is a better place for a single traveling women in Mexico.

suze Apr 18th, 2005 04:04 PM

Puerto Vallarta is wonderful for solo female travel. I've been many many times. Acapulco is a much bigger city.

simonv Apr 18th, 2005 04:14 PM

Majahuitas Resort in the Bay of Banderas, Puerta Vallarta would be nice if you are from West Coast or Midwest. There's no car access. You take a water taxi from Puerta Vallarta, so it is quiet with a good beach and snorkeling right there. The Hotel is the only thing on this beach, and they dicourage tour boats by not serving to outsiders in the hotel restaurant. If you want to get away from all, this is it. Next cove is Yellapa where you find a little more life, but it's getting popular. June in Mexico will be hot and humid, as rain is starting.

iloveitaly Apr 18th, 2005 05:32 PM

I have been to PV and Cancun...the beaches are much better in Cancun. PV has more of a locals traditional feeling to it. Cancun is way more commercialized. Isla Mujeras is a great day trip for snorkeling...we did this and the water was nice and calm. It is also close to Cozumel which is great for snorkeling as well.

I have never been, but the Mayan Rivera is very popular for honeymooners and shares the same ocean as Cancun does.

Have a great time

cat396june Apr 18th, 2005 08:36 PM

Thanks for the reply, yet does anyone know of hotels/resorts that are nice for single people in Acapulco looking for relaxation, fun, spa, beach, water sports, etc. I think I am destined for that region.

summer04 Apr 20th, 2005 06:30 PM

JandL
Definitely check out Akumal. Locogringo.com has the most extensive info on the Riviera Maya.