Iberostar Paraiso or Palladium

Sep 13th, 2003, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Iberostar Paraiso or Palladium

I have narrowed it down to these two resorts, I decided against the RIU (dinner restrictions). Never been to the Mayan Riviera so this is very important. Going in March with husband and two 15 yrd old girls.
Looking for:
1) lots of different food choices (buffet and at least 2-3 al la carte).
2) great pool and lots of activities at the resort and excurions in town. Golf?
3) nice beach area and good accommodations.

These both look like great resorts not sure which has more, any advice would be great.

3)

Sep 13th, 2003, 04:21 PM

Glad to see this posted as I too have narrowed down my July vacation to these two resorts. They both seem to be getting good reviews although I'm a little turned off by the depth of the water of the main pool at the Palladium. I heard it's over 5 ft. Silly as it may sound, I can't imagine "swimming" to the swim up bar for a drink. I prefer to wade through the water. The up side of the Palladium is that the bulk of the eating areas are air conditioned while the Iberostar isn't.

Any further comments to help make a decision are appreciated!
Sep 14th, 2003, 05:48 AM

One of the largest factors would be the beach in front of the hotels you are deciding upon. I have heard some are rocky, or full of sea weed in certain areas. Some one was complaining about sewer in some other post. This would be factor to consider. I have heard Gala Playacar had a wonderful beach.
Sep 14th, 2003, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

the beach is important but I really like to know if anyone has stayed at either of these hotels. Last time we went to Huatulco about 7yrs ago and hated it. The food was the same every day no big choices and the room and pool were just ok. I never thought I would try Mexico again but with going in March with 4 I thought this might be the more reasonable place.
If anyone one has any other suggestions pls reply. Leaving out of Detroit or Windsor, Ontario.
Sep 14th, 2003, 01:35 PM
me

Gala does has a great beachfront , but the Palladium and Iberostar Paraiso are more upscale than Gala ,nicer facilities , 4 a la cartes versus 2.I stayed at the Palladium couple weeks ago and loved it ! Yes the pool is deep but the beach is much nicer there than at the Paraiso's ,no sea weed , no water shoes needed , and I prefer the food of Palladium also ,their a la cartes are gourmet !I stayed with this co. 3 times( twice in Punta Cana)-always great food , European desserts -yum ! There're more posts on the Palladium on this column just roll down. Also stayed with the Rius in PDC twice , pretty good hotels + beach + location(5 minutes to PDC.)but then again not as relaxing and paradise-like as Palladium.
Sep 15th, 2003, 09:29 AM
BrendaR

Just went through the elimination process about a month ago about which resort to choose. I had narrowed it down to Barcelo, Paraiso and Palladium. After much consideration, we went with the Palladium. Good reviews of all 3 resorts on www.ramproductions.com The Paraiso priced out higher than the Palladium but one reason is because at the Palladium, your 15 year old is still under a child rate. At the Barcelo and Paraiso, or most other resorts for that matter, you will pay an adult rate for a 15 year old. My kids are 14 and 17 so finding a resort that didn't charge them as adults was important to us.

Sep 18th, 2003, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

BrendaR, Who did you book your trip with? My travel agent is using Apple for
the Palladium and it is still coming out as adult rate. Also what type of room did you request, was it a junior suite??
Sep 18th, 2003, 10:43 AM
me

You do have to book Junior suite for your kids to get kids rates I think , our total packages for 2 adults and 1 child in junior suite , 7 nights(all incl) , airs , transfers , tax came to $2190 USD (Apple package - Palladium), but we went in August , prices are probably higher in March , usually 2 weeks after Easter to first half of June is the cheapest time to travel to the Caribbean and that area of Mexico.
Jan 21st, 2004, 11:24 AM

has anyone stayed at the iberostar paraiso? i'd like to know what it's like. my main concern is how the hotel's beach is.
Jan 27th, 2004, 07:55 PM

Paraiso by far search for my original message under iberostar paraiso, julie had a post..the best vaca, went with another couple, were going for a 2nd time again a yr later in october.
please see my other post..great great resort A++
Feb 10th, 2005, 05:11 PM

Just a reminder when in Mexico.....especially at the palladium...Make sure to check the kids drinks periodically. As soon as we got down to the pool a worker offered our son and his friend a "purple band" for his arm which indicates he is over 18. Even our 10 year old thought his drink tasted "funny"...sure enough the strawberry margahrita had liquor in it. Unfortunatly, one family vacationing there had an incident that their under age son had too much to drink. The Mom said he was incoherant. The staff suddenly could not speak English when questioned who gave him the liquor and where could she seeek medical attention. Be very cautious. Keep a close eye on the kids.
Feb 11th, 2005, 10:47 AM

Try the Iberostar Quetzal. Outstanding resort with a great beach and a short cab ride to town.
Feb 11th, 2005, 11:17 AM

I agree. We stayed at the Iberostar Tucan/Quetzel last month and we loved it. Gorgeous resort and the beach was fantastic. Not overly crowded.
Feb 11th, 2005, 01:18 PM

We went to the Iberostar Paraiso a couple of years ago with 2 other families making us a total of 15 people. We had a great time and talk about going back. The beach and water were spectacular and the massive pool was unbelievable! Food was good, although one week at the same resort and it all begins to taste the same. Still I was with an Italian who is a great cook, and she enjoyed the food. You will definitely be on the outskirts but there was a bus that took us back and forth to Playa del Carmen. We didn't leave the resort much though, it was so relaxing by the water. The rooms were beautiful and the service was tremendous. Nightly entertainment was so-so, but we were wiped out by 10 anyway after lounging around during the day drinking a few cocktails on the beach. Good luck, Jayne
Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:42 AM

My family (2 adults, 3 teens) stayed at the Palladium a couple of years ago and LOVED it. We never had any trouble finding a chair at the beach (but we did at the pool). The food was great, lovely beach, the staff was great (our kids only got alcohol free drinks!) Best of all the price was MUCH lower than the other resorts (2 of our kids were under 15).

The only thing I would recommend if staying at the Palladium is to request a room that is not on the first level. We slept in late several days and the noise from the maid's room next door was a bit loud.
Jun 24th, 2005, 10:11 AM

My boss was at the Paraiso in May and truly enjoyed it. I and my best friend stayed at the Allegro Playacar - great beach, wonderful food, can walk to Playa del Carmen.