Iberostar- Monkeys & Bad food???

Sep 8th, 1999, 05:58 AM
Carole

Iberostar- Monkeys & Bad food???

Hello-
I had been planning on bringing my family to Iberostar in Playa del Carmen. I was recently told (by a friend of a friend) that there were monkeys on the balconies and the food was awful. Most of the other comments on this forum about the Iberostar are quite the opposite. Can anyone comment?
Thanks!

Sep 8th, 1999, 06:39 AM
Debbie

Hi,

We went to Iberostar last month and I have been raving about how wonderful it was ever since. Actually, most guests find the occasional monkey visit charming. We didn't have any visits and I was dissapointed. I was delighted to catch sight of them playing in the trees one evening but that's the only time I saw them so the resort is hardly over run.

My husband and I were delighted with the food. Our stay had only one sit down meal and we chose the steakhouse restaurant which was just great. It was more casual then the Italian or Mexican sit-down which suited our style. The after dinner cappachino I ordered was heavenly. For breakfast don't miss the made to order omelets. I had them every day with different ingredients each time. We don't seek out gourmet foods but every one we spoke with seemed more then happy with the multitude of choices offered (best of all, we never heard of anyone becoming ill). Please go! It was the nicest vacation I have had.

Debbie

Sep 9th, 1999, 10:02 AM
Debbie

Ditto Debbie's post!
We were next door at the RIU Yucatan and the monkeys are not a bad thing! On our resort, people loved feeding them bananas and one couple had taken bananas to their room so they could feed the ones who come and sit on their balcony railing.

Even though we didn't stay there I find it hard to believe that the food was awful. We've been to 7 all-inclusives and never has the food been 'awful'.

Agree with Debbie, you shouldn't be put off the resort because of monkeys on balconys or reports of bad food.

Sep 11th, 1999, 08:42 PM
jj

My friend and her family went there and she said one of the main highlights of this place was the FOOD!!

Sep 15th, 1999, 05:02 AM

I just got back from the Iberostar last Monday. And I have to say that it's a great place. The landscaping on the resort is breathtaking - I've never seen anything like it.

Sorry to report but the moneys are now gone. Apparently a staff member was bitten the week before our arrival and as a result they moved them deeper into the jungle. Apparently they had lost their fear of humans...

RE: the food, the Mexican and Italian a-la-carte restaurants were fabulous. I have absolutely no complaints about them. However was I sick of buffets at the end of my stay! I don't think I can face another buffet for a while. Granted the food was good and plentiful, I just got sick of the same routine. It would have made the stay that much better had you been allowed to eat at the a-la-carte restaurants all the time. However breakfast and the made-to-order omelettes were delicious!

Hope this is helpful.