Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   I really liked Mexico City (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/i-really-liked-mexico-city-689829/)

thedingler Mar 21st, 2007 08:36 AM

I really liked Mexico City

I was in Mexico City recently and enjoyed it alot. When I was talking to the people on the plane and told them that I would be spending 6 nights in Mexico City, they told me I was crazy. (the plane was stopping in Mexico City first on the way to the beach resorts on the Pacific Coast, and everyone on the plane it seemed was going on to a resort) They said, "you are vacationing in Mexico City, your crazy."

I found the people to be very nice, and I found no feel that I was at risk for crime anymore than places in America. No one harassed us like places in resort towns. I got the impression that few people spoke English anyway. I liked Sunday at the Park and the historic City and the many museums.

We used Priceline for Hotels and got the Marriott near the Park and it was great for under $100.

Anyone else like Mexico City for a vacation.

mikemo Mar 21st, 2007 08:37 AM

Yup, an amazing, world-class city!
M

raquel_z Mar 21st, 2007 08:51 AM

me too. Visited Mexico City DF several times on holiday. Never had problems. Used the subway and local buses as well as taxis. I really loved the Coyuacan area and the Frida Kahlo Blue House Museum.
raquel

ninasdream Mar 21st, 2007 09:16 AM

I agree! just got back Monday, and I changed my itinerary to add mnore time in Mex City, and I could easily have planned another week in exploring the different neighborhoods and side trips to ruins and nearby towns like Puebla, which I did not get to this time. (I have a thread running here with a trip report)

marilynl Mar 21st, 2007 10:16 AM

We have long loved Mexico City--so much to see and do! And didn't you love the JW Marriott? Getting this hotel on Priceline for about $70 is like stealing!

Stewbear Mar 22nd, 2007 02:08 PM

Me Too. Glad you did not listen!

Sam_Salmon Mar 23rd, 2007 08:35 PM

Glad to hear you liked DF I do too-great place for visitors.=D>

kpie Apr 5th, 2007 08:47 AM

We just did an 8 hour stopover in Mexico City. We easily found a locker and a taxi and were downtown in 10 minutes. The problem? The whole historic district was shut down because of a political rally. This was a great disappointment but we made the most of it and our kids learned about Mexican politics! We strolled the outlying streets of the Zocalo and wandered through the park where everyone was out for a Sunday stroll or picnic. There are lots of stalls and live music.
Don't do the brunch at the Majestic - it looked like a ripoff - we were happier to grab a sandwich at a nearby place. We loved the feel of the area and the people were very nice - there were many Mexicans who also had their touring plans wrecked. We took the metro part way and this was both safe and fun. We also visited the new Museum of Popular Art where my son enjoyed the day of the dead exhibits and their cafeteria made an awesome fruity shake.
Our cab driver on the return trip said local businesses are really feeling the pinch of ongoing political demos (the people unhappy with last July's election results). You should try to check if there is a protest planned the day you want to visit the Zocalo.
I would definitely try to visit the city again.