I'm going to Peru! But ??? exist!

Old Dec 31st, 2007, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to Peru! But ??? exist!

We are so excited; got a Lux. Link trip today for so much less than quoted by Inkaterra. NOW, need to know best way to get there - we are on East coast -near DC; AND upon arrival in Lima (which will be late), I assume we should stay at the hotel near the airport. Anyone travel from Va or Dc to Lima???? WHICH AIRLINE GIVES BEST RATE??(going in May)
So..Another big question is:
Stay in Cusco or stay in Sacred Valley (and do a day trip to Cusco) before my LL trip begins. We are planning on at least 4-5 days before the MP/Amazon trip and were told Cusco is still high altitude and to adjust we should stay in Valley. Any thoughts - and hotels that will help us with tours?? THANKS and a HUGE Happy New Year with PEACE to all. Cc
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 07:21 PM

Hi, I can only answer the 2nd part of your question as I reside in Australia, but have just returned from a multi-country South American trip which included Peru where we stayed in Cuzco and visited Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley.
I would definitely recommend you stay in the valley for a few reasons - (1)It's a really beautiful valley (2) You are closer to MP so the train trip will not be so long (3) You can easily do a day trip to Cuzco (worth a visit!) (4) You won't take the risk of getting altitude sickness which I did as we stayed in Cuzco and it's not a pleasant feeling at all! Though there are tablets called Sorojchi freely available at local pharmacies that did the trick for me.
If you are going to one of the lodges on the Amazon or Tambopata Rivers be prepared for it to be very hot and there are lots of mosquitos when walking thru the jungle so take some very strong repellent.
Have a great trip and Happy New Year!
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 06:26 AM

Joode...How did you get to the sacred Valley from Lima? Didn't you have to go through Cusco? We're planning a trip to this area in Oct, and planned to stay two days in Cusco, Sac.Val and Aguas Cal. Just to not make it so rushed.
Given this information, in what order would you book the hotels?
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 06:52 AM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
I must be really slow, but I have no idea what a "Lux" is. A new car? Some kind of exotic cat? Anyway...
my daughter and I flew from Baltimore to Lima in October. I found the best fares and times on Continental.

We spent the night in Lima (see my trip report for tons of details - type Karen and Julie in the search box). I booked a hotel over the internet and had them arrange a transfer from the airport. It was about a 20-25 minute taxi ride. Cheap but a little dreary. Ok for an overnight. The airport hotel is much more expensive, I've heard, but the convenience would be nice.
We flew to Lima the next morning and had arranged for a guide (Percy - see my trip report for details and contact info) to pick us up at the airport. He was there waiting for us.

We transferred immediately to the Sacred Valley and spent two nights in Ollantaytambo. I think it was definitely better doing a gradual adjustment to the altitude. Sacred Valley is over 8,000 feet, Cusco over 10,000. You can def feel the difference. (Lake Titicaca is even higher and we really felt it there - even after having been somewhat adjusted for a week).

As joode says, the train ride from Ollanta to MP is much shorter (an hour and half vs about 4 hours, I believe) - which also argues for starting in the Sacred Valley. Plus we loved the small-town atmosphere. Ollanta is a special place. From there, we took the train to MP for one night, then back to Ollanta where Percy picked us up and drove us to Cusco for two nights before we left on the bus for Puno and our homestay on Lake Titicaca (and flew back from there to Lima for the flight home). We didn't do the Amazon.
Overall, I thought our itinerary was really good. I planned it with much help from this board.
Hope you find this helpful.
Karen

Old Jan 1st, 2008, 09:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Agree with the above posters about staying in the SV. We flew to Cusco and upon arrival we were picked up by our guide, David Choque, who drove us directly to Pisac where we stayed for one night before going to Ollantaytambo. The ruins at Pisac are fantastic and worth seeing. I esp enjoyed our couple days in Ollantaytambo, really charming and lovely village. We stayed at Hotel Pakaritampu and thought it was nice. We took the train from Ollantaytambo to AC.

We arrived in Lima around 11 pm and stayed 2 nights in Lima. Our hotel picked us up from the Lima airport. I beleie most hotels will arrange a pick transfer fro the airport. Didn't really love Lima and would skip it if you are short on time.

I believe Lux Link is a website (Luxury Link)where you can find deals sometimes on packages and hotel stays.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 03:07 PM

Hi Kleroux, I think Althom has answered your question re order of hotel stays. After you fly into Cuzco and then transfer to the Sacred Valley for a couple of days then onto Aguas Calientes and MP you would probably be able to cope with the higher altitude in Cuzco. Best regards.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Sorry been away and not on forum; Yes, LUX Link is an auction site where you can bid on a trip - in our case, 3 nights Amazonica and 2 nights Inkaterra Machu Pichu and a stop inbetween at an Inkaterra villa in the Sacred Valley. It was more than half of what I had been quoted previously. But we do have to make our own arrangements prior - the Lima overnighter and the train portion to MP, etc. and any guides, etc in Sacred Valley. I have gleaned so much info from this forum; I am so thankful to everyone who has helped us out. Thank you again! Cc
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 12:27 PM

For flights, just go to travelocity and do the search - or whatever travel site you go to. I've flown to Peru a couple times, and it really depends on how you like to fly... and how many hours you're willing to spend doing it.... tons of carriers fly there - just look closely at connections and flight times.... I fly out of Dulles - so if you're flying from there - you have a ton of options. I'm not a big LAN fan, but otherwise, you have a wide choice...