Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

I'm back...and still with no itinerary. Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2004, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi-

Can anyone help me organize the following into a logical three-week itinerary.

Osa (Bosque del Cabo)
Manuel Antonio
Lake Arenal
Monteverde
SJ/surroundings (was thinking of spending last 2 days/3 nights days at Xandari)

And, if I could logically fit these in (both/either):
Peace Lodge
Nicoya

I'm set on flying into and out of Puerto Jimenez, but other than, we will mix up renting a car, hiring a driver and taking buses.

So that's it. Go crazy with the itinerary. And if you feel I've left off your favourite place in Costa Rica, well heck! throw it in there as well. I'm getting desperate!!!

PS: This is my honeymoon and a convalescing trip after finishing my first year of law school. I'm zonked, stressed out and in need of a truly sublime experience!
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 04:55 AM
Iza

Mona, as a fellow lawyer, I certainly feel for you ;-) And congrats on your upcoming wedding.

We did something very similar to your itinerary (except Monteverde) in two weeks back in 2001. You have 3 weeks so you should be able to do this at a more leisurely pace. This is how I would do it if I were you:

1. Arrive in SJ and spend 1 or 2 nights there (this would be a good way to build in Peace Lodge into your trip)

2. Fly or take Interbus to Manuel Antonio and spend a few days there

3. Fly to Puerto Jimenez (NatureAir will stop in Quepos to pick up passengers - have Bosque arrange that for you)

4. Fly back to SJ and get your rental car - drive to Arenal the same day and spend a couple days there

5. Drive to Monteverde and spend a couple of days there

6. Hit Nicoya Peninsula for a few days at the beaches

7. Go back to SJ and spend your last few days at Xandari.

This way you will not need a car for the first week or so (in MA it is easy to use taxis or shuttles and on Osa, you really will not need a car). By the time you actually get your rental you will be somewhat familiar with Costa Rican ways and will feel more confident driving.

I think I still have my trip reports from our last two trips so let me know if you would like them.
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Oops. Iza, I wanted to thank you here but instead made a whole new posting dedicated just to you and your brilliant itinerary.

It shouldn't be hard to find. It's the one titled, "Thank you, Iza."
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 05:27 AM

Dear MonaManuel,
First of all - Relax!!!! You are planning a vacation, so stressing over it is very counterproductive to your objective!
Second, I was thinking about your plan and this is what I had in mind:
Day 1 - arrive, stay near the airport.
Day 2 - pick up from your hotel by private shuttle or by Fantasy bus/Interbus and drive to Monteverde. Stay in Monteverde.
Day 3-4 - enjoy Monteverde area.
Day 5 - take taxi-boat-taxi to Arenal.
Day 6 - enjoy Arenal area, hot springs, perhaps even Cano Negro.
Day 7 - start you way to the Pacific, by private shuttle service or, depending on where you're going, by Fantasy Bus/Interbus. I think at this point you can spend a couple of days in the Central Valley (either the Peace Lodge, or another place, that will bring you closer to MA).
Day 8 - relax or take a day trip, stay in same hotel as last night.
Day 9 - Drive to MA (if you want to rent a car, this will be a good time to do it, otherwise, stick to the shuttle services).
Day 10-12 - enjoy MA area, the park, the beach, relaxation and more.
Day 13-14 - back to Central Valley area, to take the flight to Osa. I thought that going back to the Central Valley is a good way to "break" your itinerary, and also makes sense. It is quite tiring to be on the road all the time, and I think a 1-2 day rest every week is not a bad idea.
Day 15 - fly to Osa.
Day 16-18 - enjoy Osa.
Day 19 - fly back to SJ area.
Day 20-21 - Xandari?

It looks like you can probably put another place into your itinerary (Nicoya?), but I find that it is usually a bad idea to try and do too much, no matter how much time you have. Don't forget, we are already talking about 6-8 hotels, which means 6-8 check ins, and check outs... If you think the idea of going back to the Central Valley area is a good one, you can either try a different hotel each time, or stick to one, which will make you feel a little bit like you are going back home. If you want to get a few days in Nicoya, you can do it after Arenal, and go straight from there to MA (and do the Peace Lodge on day 13-14).
MonaManuel, I hope it helps and doesn't confuse you more. The important thing you should know is that it is really hard to go wrong in CR, so anything you choose will be great, and that you can never do everything you want (just ask Shillmac and Suize2), so you will just have to come again for your anniversary!
Please feel free to write me directly if you need any more information or have any more questions.
Pura vida,
Neta Talmor
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 07:19 AM

I would save the Osa for the end. Just got back. Spent 2 weeks. Here was our trip itinerary.
1. 1 night By Airport
2. 2 nights Arenal - Oscar was hired driver.
3. Jeep /boat /jeep to Monteverde 2 nights. Do Selventura Zip line for sure.
4. Oscar picked us up again and drove to Samara for 4 nights.
5. Fly to Osa for 3 nights
6. Last night by airport.
If I had more time I would have put Manual antonio after Samara, get a driver, then fly from there to Osa.