Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   I LOVED BRAZIL!!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/i-loved-brazil-182741/)

rhoda Mar 26th, 2002 12:28 PM

I LOVED BRAZIL!!!

<BR>Hello all,<BR><BR>I spent eight gloroius days in Rio (returned last Thursday). I could not wait to post a message to this website. I was so afraid of visiting Rio before I feft after reading the various posts to this site. I did not even bring a watch and bought disposable cameras and mosquito repellent with 30% DEET for fear of thieves and dengue. My sister and I travelled alone to Rio and did not experience a single problem. We walked the streets of Copacabana with ease. There were people selling things, but a 'no thank you' was all that was required to send them on their way. The day tours were great (we went to the Christ statue and Buzios). I cannot stress enough how nice, friendly, and helpful everyone was. We did not speak Portuguese but after a few days we picked up a few phrases like 'Thank you' and 'How much'. We stayed at the Marriot Hotel in Copacabana. The hotel was lovely and the service was top notch. It is primarily a business hotel it seems. There were quite a few older people there. I loved staying on the strip because there was always something going on. The beach at Ipanema was better (the water was cleaner) and I must admit people watching rates highly on both beaches. <BR>The weather was great (downright hot a couple of days). I was so tired of wearing insect repllent (I got a slight rash from the DEET I think). I was bitten by mosquitos and I am alive and well. I had ice in my drinks from a street vendor and did not get sick. I think the travel warings to Rio are HIGHLY EXAGGERATED. I am looking forward to going again soon. My favorite restaurants in Rio were Cafe Havana and Marius. I went to People's nightclub on a Wednesday and had a blast. I did stay away from HELP. Even the locals told me that was a prostitute hangout. We found so may great shopping deals - leather goods are outrageously cheap. Check out the Hippie Fair in Ipanema on Sundays. Even the Rio Sul mall prices were reasonable - they were practically giving away summer clothes as Summer ends at the end of March. We had no problems exchanging money. There is an American Express exchange on Ave. Atlantica and a Citibank inside a Blockbuster arounf the corner form the Marriot. There is a McDonalds down the street from Blockbuster with the best hot fudge sundaes I have ever had. I did not drink fountain drinks though. <BR><BR>PLEASE do not be afraid to go to Rio. Remember that you should be aware of your surroundings anywhere you go. Don't just automatically drop your guard becuase you are on vacation. Take your cameras to enjoy the spectacular scenery. Live life to the fuillest - it seems that the people in Brazil do that everday!!<BR><BR>God bless!

Don Mar 26th, 2002 02:08 PM

Rhoda, glad to hear you had a good trip. Tell us a little bit more about People's . What was the age group? Was there a DJ or live music, is there an upstairs and a downstairs, is there a difference? Were the patrons friendly?

rhoda Mar 27th, 2002 07:15 AM

I would assume the age group at People's to be between 25-35. I did not view it as a teenybopper place. There is an upstairs area where there is a DJ. The music was mellow upstairs. The disco is downstairs. A DJ is downstairs as well. Techno music was in heavy rotation. Everyone was friendly. Definitely a place where the trendy hangout. The place really started to jump at around 3am. For a totally different vibe, make sure you go to Lapas on Friday nights. People party outside all night long. You can listen to techno, hip hop, raggae, and samba music in about a five block area. You have to see it to believe it!!!

lavaughn Mar 31st, 2002 03:29 AM

i am planning on going there myself.how did get back to the hotel from the club and was it safe?also how far is the area with all the clubs in 5 block radius.i plan on stating at the le meridian would you recommend that.

CariocaRio Mar 31st, 2002 06:11 AM

Late at night if you have to go any distance you should always take a taxi for safety reasons and you will not have any problems. The Meridian which is at the end of Copacabana is a fine hotel near Princess Isabella Ave and the Lido district, mostly boites in that area catering to men looking for company.

rhoda Apr 1st, 2002 02:18 PM

Lavaughn,<BR><BR>My sister and I took yellow taxis everwhere we went. We stayed at the Marriott and there were hotel taxis that we could use, but the rates were much more expensive. We had the hotel staff tell the taxi drivers where we wanted to go (most of theyellow taxi drivers do not speak English) and we arrived at our destinations safe and sound at all times. Lapas (I think that's how it's spelled) was about a 15 minute cab ride from our hotel. The outdoor party was on Friday nights only - I think. If you don't like crowds you may want to go elsewhere. The area was packed but once agin no one picked my pocket or harassed us in any way. Wear comfortable dancing shoes. The Le Meridan looked really nice from the outside. I did not go inside though.

Sandy Apr 2nd, 2002 05:28 AM

Me too, me too! Brazil was GREAT!<BR><BR>We took the buses everyplace, a/c, not crowded, no problems. We told the driver where we wanted to go and he always let us off and pointed . . . and it only cost about 55 cents.<BR><BR>The food was incredibly inexpensive and wonderful, the beer was icy cold, and the people were very friendly and helpful.<BR><BR>All in all, a fantastic vacation destination. Don't let people scare you off.<BR><BR>Sandy

Roula Apr 2nd, 2002 02:17 PM

So what was the verdict on going to People's nightclub alone ? I will be in Rio on my own and would like to check this place out. Is it OK for a female on her own ? By the way. where is it ?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Roula.

ttt Apr 2nd, 2002 05:06 PM

topping for Fernando

Don Apr 3rd, 2002 12:33 PM

Roula, Peoples is in Leblon address is: Av. Bartolomeu Mitre, 370. Its about 2 blocks from the beach so you will have to take a taxi going and coming, I went once it looked like a very nice place that you should be able to go by yourself.