Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Hyatt Cancun Caribe or Marriott Casa Magna? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/hyatt-cancun-caribe-or-marriott-casa-magna-673684/)

duoak Jan 25th, 2007 10:54 AM

Hyatt Cancun Caribe or Marriott Casa Magna?

We're thinking of going to Cancun in late April. We've narrowed down the hotel choice to either the Hyatt Cancun Caribe or Marriott Casa Magna. Which one would you recommend and why?

Little_Man Jan 25th, 2007 02:37 PM

I've been in both, stayed at the JW next to the Casa Magna. No contest the Casa Magna. It's a beautifully maintained building (just gorgeous lobby) and the hotel has great service.
I have have been in the newly rehabbed Hyatt rooms, and while it's perfectly fine, the rooms are nothing special, can hear next door neighbors well, and it's a definite notch below the Marriott, including service, grounds, rooms and location.

duoak Jan 26th, 2007 06:10 AM

How do the restaurants and the pools compare? We don't really plan on leaving the pool area much. And the pictures of the Hyatt pool just looked so much nicer.

Little_Man Jan 26th, 2007 07:21 AM

I didn't get a direct look at the main pool, as we were taken to look at rooms in the new executive towers, but remember thinking that the new pool at the Hyatt looked a lot nicer online than in reality.

butsey Jan 26th, 2007 08:32 AM

I agree w/Frankie Hands down the Marriott is much much nicer. Stayed at both. Marriott is a great hotel although I never did all inclusive but I think they do offer it.

Cinart Jan 26th, 2007 08:52 AM

Look in to the Hilton. Next door to the Marriott and really nice.

duoak Jan 30th, 2007 01:20 PM

We were actually looking for non-inclusive hotels. We're also trying to avoid family-friendly hotels with lots of children, etc. Looking for something more adult/mature and upscale.

travelenthusiast Jan 30th, 2007 03:50 PM

We stayed at the Hyatt Cancun Caribe for a short stay in 2000. It was a great hotel. It was smaller than some of the other huge hotels but it still had all the anemities that you would expect from a big resort. The Blue Bayou had excellent food and a romantic setting for dinner. We were able to get a "sunshine on sale" deal that even included breakfast. We don't have kids and we appreciate hotels with an adult atmosphere and the Caribe fit the bill.

Phillips313 Jan 31st, 2007 01:37 PM

My wife and I have been to Cancun 5 times, the last 3 at the Hyatt Cancun Caribe (most recently last November). We took our three teenagers twice, but there are generally few children. We prefer it for the following reasons: 1) all rooms have ocean view and small balcony. I hate overlooking the parking lot from run-of-house rooms. 2) we like to walk; it is walking distance from two malls (Plaza Caracol, Plaza Kukulcan) although April is hot and you may want to take the bus. 3) Taxis into Cancun City restaurants are less expensive than they will be farther south on the island. 4) It is just across the street from Lorenzillo's, one of the best restaurants on the island (but quite expensive). 5) We do enjoy the beach and pool at the Hyatt Cancun Caribe. Haven't tried the restaurant - we always try to go out for dinner. 6) There are peacocks on the hotel grounds. 7) I thought the price was slightly less than other major hotels - so better value. 8) It is slightly smaller, even with the new addition. We like smaller crowds. We haven't been to the Casa Magna, so can't comment on it.