Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Hurricane in PV How bad is the damage (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/hurricane-in-pv-how-bad-is-the-damage-268617/)

Jan Oct 26th, 2002 08:05 AM

Hurricane in PV How bad is the damage

Woke uphis morning and read in the paper that the Hurricane had hit Puerto Vallarta, streets flooded, cars floating, hotel pools full of sea water...can anyone tell me just how bad things are down there...we heard that power is out and there were evacuations.Is everyone safe downt there?<BR>We are headed there in 7 weeks and want to know if the beaches and cleanups will be done by then? Thanks<BR>

JRinPV Oct 26th, 2002 08:17 AM

Some hotel lobbies were flooded and should be all cleaned up by tomorrow. Restaurants on Los Muertos beach took some heavy damage, but probably open next week. Some sores on the Malec&oacute;n were damaged, again clean up will be fast. We have power and telephones - no problema. As far as I know NO Fatalities.

Geri Oct 26th, 2002 03:33 PM

I'm so concerned about this beautiful place and its people. I am relieved that so far there is no loss of life reported, but now what of the livelihood of the townspeople? I've read elsewhere that the Malecon is gone! Is that true? I can't imagine PV without its promenade by the sea with its statues and vendors. Does anyone have any additional information? How is the Rio Cuale area?<BR>The church? Las Palomas? Any information would be appreciated!<BR>

JRinPV Oct 26th, 2002 03:49 PM

See pictures of the Malec&oacute;n, the day after<BR>http://vallartainfo.com/kennapics.html

Susan Oct 28th, 2002 08:49 AM

For JR, THANK YOU for getting back on line so quick &amp; posting so generously on several boards. I've been keeping up with any photos I can find, but really appreciate your first-hand reports. I LOVE Puerto Vallarta and have been so worried for the local people these past few days.<BR><BR>May I ask specifically, how did the 'GR' supermercado come thru? And places along Olas Altas and Basilo Badillo (the photos concentrated more on the Malecon).<BR><BR>best regards, Susan in Seattle

Margaret Oct 28th, 2002 09:11 AM

Okay, today is Monday and after experiencing rain all night, the day started with a beautiful rainbow right across the bay! Absolutely beautiful. We were without power for 36 hours and I was just able to get Internet connection today. They are doing a fantastic job of cleaning up. I come from NC and we are very experienced in hurricanes. I was expecting the power to be off much longer than it was, however the worst hit areas are still out.I live one block behind the church, on Matamoros. The Church is fine, our area received no damage since the winds were not coming straight on us and we were up high enough to escape the waves. El Dorado and La Palapa were destroyed. Los Palomas was actually allowing people in through the kitchen entrance (on Juarez) on Saturday morning. So was Hard Rock Cafe. They are very industrious here. They still are not allowing anyone on the malecon, but they have finally opened up Juarez for two way traffic. Rizo's never lost power and they are fine. Olas Altas and Basillo Badillo are fine also. There is no beach left at los Muertos, however. Still no power along the area of the Sheraton and from the parking area near the flea market to the malecon, with the exception of Hooters, which never lost power. Don't worry about coming here. Things will be fine. A cruise ship came in yesterday.<BR>

JRinPV Oct 28th, 2002 10:56 AM

I added some pictures from Velas Vallarta in the marina and Los Muertos at the same link<BR>http://vallartainfo.com/kennapics.html

Susan Oct 28th, 2002 11:33 AM

Again thanks to JR &amp; also very much to Margaret for the answers &amp; specific details.<BR><BR>Was hoping Rizo's made it thru (one of my very favorite places). I didn't have immediate plans to visit but think I will plan a PV vacation very soon. Want to give my support to the town, and figure that's probably the best way to do it. Show up and support the local businesses and people.

Kimberly Oct 29th, 2002 09:54 AM

Does anyone have any information specifically about the Melia Puerto Vallarta Hotel? We are scheduled to leave this Sunday and are not sure if we should keep our plans.

Melia ? Oct 29th, 2002 10:55 AM

Kimberly, This thread is mostly about downtown and southside Purto Vallarta. I'm assuming Melia is out in Hotel Zone, Marina or Nuevo? I think things went quite differently in the various areas of PV. Do you know the hotel's location?

Kimberly Oct 29th, 2002 11:40 AM

I'm sorry, I'm new to this site. I believe the Melia is in the Marina.

for Kim, kindly Oct 29th, 2002 12:19 PM

I just saw someone's first-hand post on www.puertovallarta.net (go to Puerto Vallarta Bulletin Boards under hotels) that The Marina and Nuevo were not as badly damaged. And specifically that the Melia was &quot;fine&quot;.<BR><BR>No need to apologize, but as you plan your trip &amp; get to know PV, it is helpful (check out a map) to know the general neigbhorhoods.<BR><BR>It goes like this (north to south around the Bay of Banderas): Nuevo Vallarta (resorts), airport, The Marina (hotels/resorts), then the Hotel Zone strip, into downtown sometimes called El Centro, the Malecon, and then over the Rio Cuale (river) into Old Town or the southside. Even further south are the resorts of Mismaloya, Camino Real, etc.<BR><BR>From beginning to end this is quite a distance, probably a good 45 mins. drive around.

Trish Oct 29th, 2002 01:02 PM

So, so sorry to hear of the damage in Vallarta...Concerned about the condo that family members rent - Vista del Sol - as it is on Los Muertos Beach and right where all the damage is... Anyone know anything about that specific condo building?<BR><BR>And by the way - how did Dacquiri Dicks or Coco Tropical fare? Seems most restaurants/bars on the beach didn't do too well...sorry to say/see... <BR><BR>Also, friends are going to stay at the Sheraton soon - heard it got hit very hard - almost $3 million in damage - anyone know more or if this is true?<BR><BR>Thanks.

Margaret Oct 29th, 2002 07:01 PM

The Sheraton is still without power,it is evening and I just looked out my terrace. No lights. I was here during the storm and the Sheraton got hit the hardest of all. They have finally let people back on the malecon today. I am absolutely impressed at the clean-up job they have done here. The town is to be commended. Things are back to normal in 85% of the area and the rest are working night and day to get repaired. Please don't stay away, give the people and town your support for the commendable job they have done. You will not be dissappointed. If you are booked at hotal that has damage, I now that they will put you up somehwhere else. DON'T STAY AWAY OUT OF FEAR. Please support these wonderful people. After all, Conde Naste didn't vote Puerto Vallarta the &quot;most friendliest place on the planet&quot; for no reason.I believe Daquari Dicks and Coco Tropical are fine. It is funny how some places were hit and the place next door was fine. All damage was due to the waves, not wind.

JJ Oct 29th, 2002 09:48 PM

This web-cam seems to be up and running again - it's from the balcony of the &quot;Cheeseburger in Paradise&quot; restaurant on the malecon. Looking pretty good. I'd go tomorrow if I could! http://www.earthcam.com/mexico/jalis...econ/main.html

JRinPV Oct 30th, 2002 07:24 AM

Those Web Cam pictures are from last month!

Kendall Oct 30th, 2002 10:19 AM

My friends and I are supposed to go to Vallarta next Tuesday. We're staying where we stay every year, in a La Palapa condo. The restaurant looked ruined in the photos, but it was hard to tell if the building itself, and its occupants, are okay. Margeret said don't stay away because of fear and we'd really like to go. But we haven't been able to get through to the condo via fax yet. We hope everyone there is okay.

Clarisa Oct 30th, 2002 10:33 AM

For Kendall, Have you tried to call them on the telephone. In this situation, might be more direct than via fax or email.<BR><BR>Also check www.puertovallarta.net on the PV Bulletin Board, several extensive reports on various properties and what state of repair they're in.

cathy Nov 4th, 2002 06:52 PM

How did mismaloya fair in the hurricane

JRinPV Nov 5th, 2002 05:39 AM

I hear that Kenna brought back the beach to Mismaloya. Vista del Sol is OK. As far as other questions, such as Rizos, if the place was off the beach there was no damage, we only had an inch of rain and very little wind. In parts of the hotel strip there was damage 3 blocks from the shore.