Hows my itinerary? and a couple other questions

Sep 6th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Hows my itinerary? and a couple other questions

We are spending 2 1/2 weeks in CR in early october. How does this itinerary sound? Its our first time in CR, so we'd like to see a lot, but also its our honeymoon, so we want to relax.

Day 1: San Jose
Day 2-4: Tamarindo
Day 5-7: Monteverde
Day 8-9: Volcan Arenal
Day 10: Arenal to San Jose
Day 11-13: Tortuguero
Day 14-16 Cahuita Park, Puerto Viejo, Manzanillo
Day 17: Depart

Is this too much, or does this look reasonable?

Couple other question: Has anyone taken the Mawamba Tour to Totuguero? Or stayed in the Mawamba Lodge there?

Has anyone been to the Carnival in Limon on Oct 12?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Ziggy and Flo
Sep 6th, 2004, 03:49 PM

Ziggy and Flo,
You've been busy! Sounds like a great trip to me.

Haven't been to Limon during Carnival, but do be careful. Limon, IMO, requires a little extra caution for tourists. Carnival would add to that need for caution! The only people I've talked to who have been there are Costa Ricans. Their opinions on it have been divided. Some think it's great, others have told me they think it unwise to go. Same as with anything else, I suppose. . .depends on one's own experience.

You are going to be moving around a lot, but I'm sure you've planned it this way to see as much as possible and it looks as if you are allowing ample time to enjoy each location. Are you driving?
Sep 6th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Shillmac,
I have heard similar things about Limon, but I've also read that it is actually pretty safe during Carnival. I think it would be a really cool event to see.

As for the driving question, we haven't completely figured it out yet. Thinking of driving Tamarindo, Monteverde, Arenal portion. Then doing a package tour of Tortuguero, that includes transport from San Jose. After Tortuguero we are considering trying a hired driver, or perhaps just bussing it. I'd like to get a little taste of each travel option.

Ziggy
Sep 6th, 2004, 06:22 PM

Sounds like a LOT of fun! I hope you will share your adventures on Fodor's when you return.
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

I'll definately post my trip here when we get back. I can't wait to go!
Sep 7th, 2004, 01:02 PM

Hi Ziggy and Flo,

We just got back from Costa Rica on Saturday and stayed at the Mawamba Lodge for 4 nights. They picked us up about 15 minutes early from our hotel in San Jose, and brought us to Tortuguero via bus and boat. The bus and boat were very nice, and the tour guide helpful. If you go, you'll have the same tour guide for all activities (including lunch and dinner) during your stay--or at least for the first two days there.

The tours were very nice. A typical day is a 6:00 boat tour, a mid-morning hike, and an afternoon boat ride similar to the early one. We stayed for 4 nights, and were able to enjoy each tour 3 times if we chose to. That worked out well since there wasn't a lot of wildlife to see when it was raining. One day it rained the whole time, and the other two days were very nice. We saw a crocodile, cayman, toucans, iguanas and other lizards, turtles, monkeys, dart frogs, butterflies, etc. We went on the turtle nesting tour twice ($15 cash per person per tour), and saw a turtle laying her eggs on both occasions.

Food wasn't gourmet by any means, but good. We enjoyed the buffet-style dining. The pool was small but very nice. Coffee is available 24 hours a day. The rooms were rustic (my wife said she felt like she was at summer camp, but a very nice summer camp). Only one large hairy spider get into our room. We got used to seeing big spiders, so it wasn't that big of a deal when one turned up in my wife's dirty clothes pile. They have hot water, electricity, etc. The bar was very nice, with US2.00 beers and US3.00 fancy cocktails, if you enjoy that sort of thing. We had them do our laundry once--it seemed a little pricey to someone who never usually uses a hotel laundry service (US1.00 for a pair of socks or underwear, for example), but it was worth it, because everything we had was damp and musty. I learned later that's a pretty standard rate for hotel laundry. Everything except the turtle tours and entrance fee to the national park can be charged to your room.

We took a Nature Air flight back to San Jose rather than the Mawamba boat/bus. I don't have any regrets about that.

Bottom line: we enjoyed the Mawamba Lodge and recommend it.
Sep 9th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the info Rick. Mawamba sounds pretty cool.

Anyone else have any feedback for my itinerary? I was considering dropping a destination to make it a little more relaxing. Is this a good idea, or is the itin reasonable?

Ziggy