Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   How to Make a Forum on Latin America - Argentina Rise from the Dead! (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/how-to-make-a-forum-on-latin-america-argentina-rise-from-the-dead-768535/)

Rastaguytoday Feb 19th, 2009 08:05 PM

How to Make a Forum on Latin America - Argentina Rise from the Dead!

Folks,

This forum died because of Fodors "upgrades".

Here's my workaround that seems to work. I suggest you try it out and you will (almost) be back to normal.

Go to the Latin American link

Try the Argentina tag - notice that it doesn't work really well.

In the "Search the Forums" box - type in "Argentina".

You will now get a box on the left side of the screen showing Argentina as the "Search Terms".

Select the forum "Latin America".

Pick the Dates that you want to view.

DO NOT put anything in Member Name.

Hit the Search button.

You are now in what is almost what there used to be, in the old forum, for Argentina

Any forum that you want to view, right click on that forum to view in another window (or tab, depending on your system).

This leaves your original search sequence for Argentina intact in its own window.

Do whatever you want in the new window, and then return to the original window to continue to view.

This is extremely convoluted, and not user friendly, but it works!

Welcome back to the Argentina Forum of (almost) old.

Please deposit a US $1 in Avrooster's account, as inflation is eating up Argentina.

Any errors in this post is the responsibility of the idiots who took out the "preview" option.

raquel_z Feb 19th, 2009 09:47 PM

Rastaguy

its tooooo complicated.

Maybe all we really need is for more people to ask questions. Or else send a whole bunch of old Argentina threads to the top...

But who says change is always good :(

raquel

avrooster Feb 20th, 2009 02:47 AM

Says this guy Rasta: "Please deposit a US $1 in Avrooster's account, as inflation is eating up Argentina."

I'd like to add one letter: "Please deposit a US $1K in Avrooster's account, as inflation is eating up Argentina."

Thank you, all. LOL!!!!

suze Feb 20th, 2009 06:37 AM

I'm really sorry for your loss, Rastaguy. I'm not being sarcastic, this new format isn't working for so many people for so many reasons :-( suze

Katie_H Feb 20th, 2009 06:42 AM

Thanks for the feedback---we are working on improvements for the tag pages. Currently, you'll see the most recently started topics tagged Argentina at the top and the most recent topics with new comments at the bottom. The link at the bottom of that "recently commented" page will take you further back. These are the pages that I think are not very user-friendly--especially if it's a quieter forum/tag. We're working on this. Thanks for being patient.

Those tags by the way were all carried over from the old format. So the topics you see are the same ones that members tagged "Argentina" previously. I can also tag items that weren't tagged originally.

flintstones Feb 20th, 2009 02:23 PM

well, this is becoming friendy to me, but very slowly...
Flintstones.

suze Feb 20th, 2009 03:54 PM

Seems there's simply not that much activity on this entire forum since the rollout of the new format. My couple posts have stayed in the top 25 for days with only a few replies.

Rastaguytoday Feb 20th, 2009 07:52 PM

You live by Fodors

You die by Fodors

Most people don't / can't accept change. I'm hoping Katie_H
is reporting back the difficulties.

At least she's listening.

It looks like raquel_z might have given up. If her mind doesn't work that way, I certainly don't blame her.

My guess is that the number of posts in the sub segments have dropped > 60% since the introduction of the enhancements. Actually, based on what suze says, it might be closer to 80%.

WillTravel Feb 20th, 2009 09:43 PM

This URL is a shortcut to the steps that RastaGuy describes:
It will open Fodors with the same parameters as described.
http://tinyurl.com/c4e8ou

raquel_z Feb 21st, 2009 07:46 AM

Rastaguy,
Actually. you have made the simple complicated. All you have to say is Use the advance search feature - which you can only get to by doing an initial search. You can search by title only or by
The problem with that is that it will exclude posts that have for example Buenos Aires, but not Argentina in either the title or the body if you use the full search.

I would bet that you would get 95% of all Argentina posts if you used the search terms avrooster scarlett and drdawggy and did the full search. It says you can enter terms.

raquel

suze Feb 21st, 2009 07:50 AM

It would be hard to do an accurate post count right now though because there is SO much activity everywhere, but it's threads like this one about how unhappy folks are with the change. So Fodor's overall probably is fairly busy now(!) just all the posts are complaints nothing to do with travel topics.

I know for myself, I haven't even cracked open Europe forum since the upgrade, and I used to pop in there most days just for fun. I'm only keeping up with my die-hard interests like Mexico.