Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

How to keep from getting sick in Cozumel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2000, 04:18 PM
Gina

Taking a trip to Cozumel in May. How do we keep from getting sick? What to dive and enjoy our long awaited trip. Can you suggest things to do and not to do? I hear lots about the water but how clean is other food? Love iced tea -can we drink it safely?

Old Apr 13th, 2000, 05:46 PM
Susan

You know, I've never really had a problem in Cozumel and I've been several times. I usually drink mineral water and usually with ice. My husband drinks iced tea or diet coke. We were there in March for a few days and felt fine. Obviously you have to exercise some caution - we don't drink tap water - but in most of the restaurants, you'll be fine.

Old Apr 13th, 2000, 06:01 PM
d motl

I agree with what was said above-- <BR>all food ice and bottled and canned products will be fine. If your first time to mexico would recommend that you take aciddolphilus ( its dried yougurt <BR>and is in the vitamin section of your local store)--You will be bullet proof providing you don't over do on fresh fruit and fruit based drinks which are natural laxatives.

Old Apr 13th, 2000, 10:25 PM
C.Clark

Hi Gina, we were there in Dec. and drank the water and never had a problem. Most of the hotels have purified water. WE've been all over Mexico and have never been sick. <BR>

Old Apr 14th, 2000, 05:23 AM
David

I've been to Mexico (incl. Cozumel) and Latin America several times. I've never gotten sick. Biggest reason (not that I'm a doctor) that people get sick when they travel is that it's an abrupt change to their system, eg, long plane flights, different time zone, different types of food, etc. But, still, it's wise to be cautious. I'd drink the water in the major hotels and restaurants, but MAYBE not in some small, dirty restaurant/shack that's off the beaten path.

Old Apr 15th, 2000, 06:02 PM
Sue C

If Cozumel is anything like Cancun you won't have any problems if you follow common sense. We have been down many times and have never had a problem. Just stick to bottled water for drinking, I use the tap water for brushing and washing. The drinks and ice are made with purified water. We eat just about anything we want, just stay away from small food stands and you will be fine. If you want to take some immodium with you just incase I would do so. But I'm not from the school of taking anything before you have a problem,to me that can cause a problem if you get a bug.

Old Apr 20th, 2000, 08:19 AM
kathy

Hi Gina. We just returned and did not get sick. I took acidolphilus while we were there. I used bottled water to brush with. Most of the hotels had purified water. I did not take chances by eating raw vegetables or peeled fruit, but the restaurants seemed fine. Someone said that the ice cubes that are in a cylinder shape with holes in the middle are made from purified water. I hope that this helps some! have a great trip.

Old Apr 20th, 2000, 07:43 PM
Cindy

Beware of any water placed in a carafe in your room. Let's just say I'll never again assume that something is OK just because it is in a clean carafe.

Old May 3rd, 2000, 03:58 PM
TC

Don't drink too much. Alcohol, not water seems to cause more illness on Mexican vacations than anything else. Alcohol and sun are a dangerous combination. Take care and have fun.

Old May 9th, 2000, 09:38 PM
paciano diaz

Be careful with that water! Unless, you are willing to risk being in bed for days. Yes, it might have not happened to us but does that mean your make-up is like ours? We would go so far as to ask if the ice that was given to us for the canned Cokes was purified. Some of the time it wasn't. I would take Donotal(sp) or something comparable just in case. It does not take up much room and could save your trip. Be careful with the water you brush your teeth with!

Old May 11th, 2000, 04:53 PM
Parrot Mom

Your all almost right!!! Finally a few years ago discovered why I was getting sick....too many fruit drinks, especially pina coladas...too much fruit, especially pineapple... Ive learned a lesson and only drink coke or limit my mixed drinks... and take some Immodium or Lomotil with you.