How to get from San Jose to MA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be traveling from San Jose to Manuel Antonio for a 3-day stay (and then back to San Jose to fly home). We can: 1) fly Sansa airline; 2) rent a car; or 3) rent a car and a driver. Which is best? Also, is it true that on Sansa your bag can weigh no more than 25 lbs?
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 12:53 PM

What is best depends entirely on what you are most comfortable with. We like the freedom of renting our own vehicle, and the route from SJO to Manuel Antonio is very easy.

Others like to be driven so that they can travel without the hassle of stressing over traffic and road conditions (depends on how much these things bother you!) and enjoy visiting and learning from a driver who can talk about Costa Rica and share conversation with interesting information.

Domestic air travel is always an option, and can save you a little bit of time. We haven't done it, but I understand Costa Rica is as beautiful from the air as it is on the ground.

We like to see things along the way and stop at the little sodas for a snack, etc. Also, you would enjoy viewing the crocs at the Rio Tarcoles Bridge. If you are driving yourselves, be sure and keep an eye on your vehicle. Lots of tourists stop here, and there have been some thefts.

Have fun whatever you decide. There really is no "best way". . . . .
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 01:34 PM

I too enjpy the driving... so much more freedom and opportunity to submerse yourself in the experience. We made that drive about two weeks ago, going by way of Atenas, a wonderful drive through the mountains. There was some pot hole repair going on on the western slopes that delayed us for about 20 minutes, but that should not be going on long. Driving from the airport area rental agencies is relatively easy, and once you are on the road it is a pretty straight shot with good signs. I would avoid driving in San Jose and at night - both of which I did on this last trip (yikes).

On the other hand, if you are not planning to go anywhere but MA, paying for a car to sit idle for three days is expensive.

There are strict weight limits on the domestics, and carry-ons were extremely limited when I flew Sansa about 5 yrs ago. We hurriedly consolodated bags at the counter and left a camera in a checked bag that was not there when we arrived at our destination - hopefully an isolated incident?
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 02:41 PM

For this short of a stay, I am leaning toward - driver one way and domestic flight the other.

This way you get to experience it all! Without duplication.

Taxis and local buses are very easy to get in MA.

As for luggage - yes 25 lbs in your carry on and then you can take a purse, backpack, whatever (BUT not stuffed with an additional 25 lbs!!!). Really 25 lbs is much more than you think. Just pack in a duffle! No weight eaten up with your baggage.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 02:43 PM

Ooops! That was to say "25 lbs in your check in! plus........!"
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 10:42 AM

the sansa- single engine-plane ride from san juan to quepos was the most exciting part of our trip- more so than zip lines through the jungle or whitewater rafting. it was very windy/cloudy going over the moutains. a short but intense ride. flew in -drove back.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 01:01 PM

I agree with Steve on the SANSA flight; we got into a lot of wind and heavy rain on that last flight out of SJO. But it was quite an experience.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 04:37 PM

I agree that the single prop plane is exciting, however; it's not supposed to be!?!?!?!?

Yes, they do weigh the bags...and the people! They put everyone (yes each person) on the scale to weigh them as well. After you're weighed, they scream out your weight (in spanish). My wife had a heart attack.

We drove back. I recommend driving both ways.

Buen Suerte,
Clark