Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

How to book air travel within Costa Rica?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 06:16 AM
marie

Would like to book a flight from NW Costa Rica with Sansa airline before I arrive in the county. How can I find out their flight schedule? I will be there in early October. I need to fly into SJO for my return to US connecting flight.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 11:42 AM
Coral

Travel agents are very helpful for making arrangements just like this!

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 12:01 PM
Dawn

You will want to book this through a travel agent. But if I were you, I would not fly Sansa, I would fly the other domestic carrier, Travelair. Travelair tends to be more reliable than Sansa. In addition, I would tell you that both of these airlines run rather "rustic" operations so I doubt that you will be able to find the schedules on the internet. I would not wait until you arrived to buy tickets because all the domestic flights that we were on were full and everyone had reserved in advance. By the way, the small domestic airlines do not fly into SJO. They use a small domestic airport and the flights are not always dependable in terms of timeliness so I would spend the night before the international flight home in San Jose.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 01:02 PM
Iza

You can find schedules on the internet for both domestic airlines:<BR>I know www.crica.com has Travelair's schedule and if you do a search on Sansa you should be able to find it too. They even have an on-line reservation system. I would recommend, however, that you either use a travel agent or ask your hotel to make the reservation for you. I heard complaints that Sansa sometimes does not honor reservations made on line.<BR>Travelair flies from an airport that is about 1/2 hour from the international airport so keep that in mind. Sansa flies from the international airport, although a different terminal.<BR>Contrary to what Dawn is saying, from my experience (2 trips to CR in the last 2 years), Sansa tends to be more on time than Travelair. And Dawn is right, if your international flight is in the morning then fly back to SJ the day before so that you don't run into any issues.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 05:49 AM
Ally

I've booked flights two times on the internet using Lynch Travel in Quepos. No problems whatsoever either time.<BR>Their web site (below) only shows flights To and From San Jose/Quepos, but they arrange all other flights too, just email them for your information.<BR>http://www.lynchtravel.com/

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 09:23 AM
Bob

Sansa's website: www.flysansa.com

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 11:20 AM
RK

I know that advertising is a no-no on this site, however I'd like to get a name/address/email of any good travel agents in CR that folks have used to book their air travel there. Looking to fly from Quepos to San Jose. (I've heard others suggest it's better to do this thru an agent versus direct online purchase).<BR><BR><BR>

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Iza

RK, check with the hotel you are staying at, they may be able to make the arrangements for you. We did that last year. We stayed at Vista del Valle and they made reservations for us with SANSA to fly to Quepos and then I had Lapa Rios make reservations for us to fly from Quepos to Puerto Jimenez and back to SJ. I found the hotel staff most accommodating in that respect.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 04:19 AM
dave

We viewed schedules, booked flights, and purchased tickets via both airlines websites ourselves this summer. No problem, everything went very smooth. Sansa actually has printable tickets right off their website, Nature Air e-mails you your itinerary and confirmation.