Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   How's the Backpacker Train to Machu Picchu? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/hows-the-backpacker-train-to-machu-picchu-353540/)

JC98 May 1st, 2008 10:16 PM

How's the Backpacker Train to Machu Picchu?

Hi,

Has anyone taken the backpacker train to / from Machu Picchu? How is it compared to the Vistadome?

Going to MP, we're taking the Vistadome, but the schedule for coming back to Ollanta on the backpacker train works out better for us. Wondering whether we should take it (safe, comfortable, etc.) or wait for a later Vistadome train?

Thanks!

Jeff_Costa_Rica May 2nd, 2008 08:29 AM

The Backpacker train is comparable to second class on a European train. It's fine as far a comfort goes. You pay for any food, unlike on the Vistadome train, although the free food they serve on the Vistadome service isn't that substantial.

The two times I've taken the Backpacker train, I've heard coplaints that somebody has lost something (a bag, a camera) in the commotion to disembark. Watch your things, especially when getting on and off the train, or even if you are staying on, when others board or disembark (such as at Ollantaytambo).

tatersalad May 2nd, 2008 02:10 PM

In March we used the Backpacker train from Ollantay to MP and the Vistadome for the return. In some regard I prefered the Backpacker; it was basic, comfortable and less expensive transportation and unlike the Vistadome they didn't do the silly (imo) styleshow. The backpacker had lots of luggage storage behind the seats and in the overhead racks. The vistadome had a common luggage storage just inside the door. The backpacker may make a few more stops along the way.

Jeff_Costa_Rica May 2nd, 2008 04:41 PM

If the Backpacker train makes extra stops, it's only two and they are very brief. They are both "on-call" stops just beyond Ollantaytambo, one for the start of the regular Inca Trail, and the other for the start of the two-day Inca Trail. It's more likely that Backpacker passengers would be going on those treks than Vistadome passengers, but I´ve been on the Vistadome train when it's made those stops too. It would add only about 10 more minutes to the trip, but nothing inconvenient.

JC98 May 4th, 2008 08:42 AM

Thanks, Jeff and tatesalad, for the info. We'll probably just book the backpacker train thenfor the return trip since it has a better time for us.

Thanks!

nokomis May 6th, 2008 05:50 AM

Hello!
How are you booking the train? We leave in 6 weeks and I am still unable to book it.

JC98 May 7th, 2008 02:46 PM

I went to my Visa's website and registered for the security feature. It asks you to create a new username, password and a passphrase, etc. When I bought the tickets on PeruRail, I entered the Visa # and it prompted me to enter my Visa's security login info. It went thru w/ no glitch for me and I received an email with the payment confirmation.

Not sure if the security feature is not there for different types of Visas. Mine is a platinum Visa.

nokomis May 8th, 2008 06:02 PM

Thank you, thank you, for the information about registering my visa card with the security feature. I have my confirmation for the train and all is set!!