How much can I bring back from Puerto Vallarta

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 12:06 PM
ahayes

How much can I bring back from Puerto Vallarta

I am leaving for PV next week and haven't been there for ten years. Does anyone know the dollar amount that can be brought back into Canada before duty has to be paid on it?

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 08:16 PM
bert

After an absence of 7 days or more you can import up to the value of $750 Canadian.
Full info:
http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/customs/

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 11:40 AM
Steven

I think your question will become non event as I couldn't find anything that I would want to bring back from PV. Even if you bargain with them the price is still too high, given that they are pegging prices on the $US and think everyone has the same currency value.
On the whole of my trip to Mexico in December I bought 1 Christmas tablecloth length of material, 1 metal geko, 1 leather face mask. The latter two were bought as we left the country and I wanted to get rid of my pesos - and by saying "this is all I have what can I buy"?
I would rate PV and areas around as a 1 on a scale of 1 - 10 for interest and buying fun, I will spend more on airfares in future and go somewhere interesting and nice.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 06:05 PM
Cher

Hey Steven it doesn't sound like you went to the PV that I have been going to for years! We have always found the prices to be fantastic (we are from Canada). The bartering is fun and they always come down in price (usually by 50%, too). I can't believe you were in PV, because PV is more to me than about buying things, it is the people that keeps many of us coming back. They are courteous and gracious hosts. How can you beat that!!

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 06:10 PM
Steven

Because as far as I am concerned PV does not rate very highly against other tropical/semi-tropical places in the world.
I was there in December 2001 which is only a couple of months ago - the prices on an international comparison are high -the setting is poor and the facilities are 3rd rate.
What have you seen to make a comparison?

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 06:11 PM
Steven

PS
After seeing PV - I now know why Richard Burton drank himself to death.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 06:34 PM
Smurf1

Hey Steven - you DID bring something back with you ! A REALLY bad attitude. Get a grip bud ! Take a pill. Can't you find anything nice to say about PV ? Those poor waiters and other staff down there - I can only imagine the joy they felt at serving you. It would be interesting to know exactly what is it that is "good and interesting" about a place that PV doesn't have? Why such a "mad-on" for PV ???

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 11:23 PM
Steven

Smurf: Gee bud my sincere apologies if I didn't agree with you. I will slap myself over the wrist and never make another comment other than what people have already said.
You asked me what I didn't like about PV - well most of it actually. Its dirty, its relatively expensive, there is nothing nice about it - no nice beaches, water is not clear, beaches are very ordinery, accommodation is not terribly wonderful etc etc. In other words 'Bud' the place is not what it's cracked up to be!

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 04:59 AM
xxx

Had to jump in on this one. We enjoy PV and find it to be a great value--especially when compared to Caribbean prices. In PV you can easily go AI or not. The town retains some colonial charm and character and exploring to find shops and restaurants is half the fun. True, the water in PV is not the crystal clear blue of other destinations. But unless scuba and snorkeling are your PRIMARY activities, for many of us, the beaches in PV are fine.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 06:06 AM
Smurf

Steven - the original poster was only asking about dollar amounts that he can bring back duty-free. And all you can reply is "there's nothing worth buying" ???
It's too bad you're so down on PV. We've gone there many times and have had such a great time exploring the town itself as well as the outlying areas (gorgeous beaches outside of town by the way). It's too bad you didn't see the PV I see. It's a wonderful place full of culture, great restaurants & the friendliest people.
All places have their ups and downs - not just downs. And it's good when people post about the pitfalls a place has. But good grief ! I just re-read your posts and you don't have ONE single good thing to say about PV.
Original poster....take his comments with a grain of salt. Hundreds of thousands of others can't all be wrong !

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 09:21 AM
dumont

Went to PV last winter- february, loved it! We are also from Canada, and brought back several items. Changed CDN to Pesos, while down there. At the markets, I got some pretty good deals with bartering. There is one shop I just loved. It is called Alfareria Tlaquepaque. It is on Ave.Mexico 1100. One of the main roads into downtown. Approximately one or two blocks before the beginning of the boardwalk. Prices are set, but are good. Bought some beautiful ceramic, pottery etc. Went to that shop 3-4 times! Usually I don't buy much when I'm on vacation, but PV I sure loved. I am planning on going back within the next 1-2 years! Have a great time!

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 12:40 PM
Steven

I guess my answer to you people from Canada and the USA is that if you put up with the filth and crap in the cities in your countries then I guess Mexico would be fine. For those of us with better taste it stinks!

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 03:29 PM
bert

Steven; Go play on someone else's board .. none of us here give a rat's behind about your opinions at this point.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 04:09 PM
chris

Steven; Just curious, but where are you from, that's superior to the U.S. and Canada (which are supposedly first world countries), and has made you such a snob?

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 04:44 PM
jan

For the first poster who was asking for a legitimate answer, post #2 explains exactly what you need. Have a great time, ignore the small minded rants of some who wouldn't know paradise if it bit them on the a#$%.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 09:27 PM
CBarry

Well I have been reading some of these remarks about Puerto Vallarta and I tend to agree in some way with Steven about it. I spent a lot of time travelling around the world and as far as I am concerned most of the South Pacific, New Zealand, Maldives, Solomans and Australia would laugh at those facilities in Mexico and dismiss them out of hand as second rate.
As for the comments about the USA and Canada, you, meaning us, may tend to think of our countries as first world but if you consider the crime and the poverty i.e. Washington DC, Detroit et al then you may change your mind somewhat. They don't give a very good impression to anyone and neither does Toronto most of the time.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 10:19 PM
Steven

For those who 'must'know, I live in Austria, just outside Saltzburg. If you call Mexico paradise you are looking at it through rose tinted glasses as you must be when you talk about cities in the USA.

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 05:46 AM
BHB

I have never been to Austria so all info I have about it is second hand from a one of Steve's county men who moved to Canada. It would be unfair for me to believe everthing he told me about it, so I take it with a grain of salt.
Back to the first question $750 Canadian is correct and the few times I have been to Mexico its plenty. The last time I was there(two years ago) our suitcases were stuffed and we had brought an empty one along. Have a great time we leave in two weeks.

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 05:53 AM
swissmiss

Well, Steven,
Now I understand.
Will you do us a favor for future reference? Post your travel itinerary so the rest of can book our tickets to someplace other, like PV.

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 06:31 AM
Smurf

Seems funny don't you think ? For someone who doesn't like Mexico, he sure hangs around this board a lot!
Me thinks me smells a troll.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information