Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   how many days in San Miguel/Guanajuato (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/how-many-days-in-san-miguel-guanajuato-430916/)

sanantoniogirl May 12th, 2004 07:29 AM

how many days in San Miguel/Guanajuato

I am planning a 2 week trip to Mexico and need to know how many days I should spend in the San Miguel/Guanajuato area (we are also going to Mexico City and PDC area). What does everyone think? We could spend 3, 4, or 5 days in SM/G area. If it helps, we are flying in and out of Leon.

sandy_b May 12th, 2004 09:54 AM

If you want to see "real" and really pretty colonial Mexico without all the tourists, take a day or two and visit Morelia, Pátzcuaro, or Zacatecas. The first two are a little southwest of Leon and Zacatecas is a little north (I think).

I have detailed travelogs of two trips in that area and will send them if you want . . . email me at [email protected].

Have a great time and buen viaje,
Sandy (in Denton)

mikemo May 12th, 2004 10:03 AM

I live in (centro) San Miguel de Allende a few months a year, a wonderful town if you are into arts, language and the colonial history of Central MX. There are many great, inexpensive restaurants and mercados.
I agree with sandi that there are other wonderful vills nearby, but SMdA is the overall best especially at this time of year. The August/September explosion of wildflowers makes local travel throught Guanajuato better

loveopera Jun 28th, 2004 10:27 PM

I lived in San Miguel for many years in the seventies and eighties. For sightseeing if that's what you want to do, one or two days is enough. So as Guanajuato. The point of those colonial towns are the sites, but to sit in the jardin and envelop one's self in the light, sound and the smell, look up to the sky so blue it's almost black. To get into the rythm of the town takes a few weeks at least. But I haven't been there for many years. From what I hear and read, it's like Santa Fe South, a scary thought. I'm afraid to go back to a town with so many bed-and-breakfast, because I might get confused and start looking for Mexico. I hear Mexico's gone out of San Miguel.

TioGringo Jun 28th, 2004 11:21 PM

mikemo will probably hate me for life for saying this, but in my opinion, there's more things of interest to a sightseeing minded tourist in Guanajuato, Queretaro, and Zacatecas than there are in San Miguel de Allende.

San Miguel is a cool town, but its charms is definitely in its feel and character and it seems like the kind of place that is okay to visit, but MUCH BETTER to live in.

Have fun!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com

CaboSanLucas Jun 29th, 2004 01:12 PM

What do you want to see/do on your vacation. It seems that you are covering quite a bit of distance - by PDC do you mean Playa Del Carmen? That is a long way from Leon. Are you driving, taking the bus or flying between destinations. I have visited Colonial Mexico several times, here are some of my favorite places: Guanajuato- a magical place; Guadalajara - a beautiful city, Morelia- a grand city, Queretaro - so much history, Patzcuaro -the charm of the Indian culture.
If you like leather, be sure to spend a little time shopping in Leon for jackets, purses and shoes!

mikemo Jun 29th, 2004 01:21 PM

I certainly agree with tiogringo and to a lesser extent with loveopera.
However, the property appreciation and cost of living will fund my retirement well into my 150's at least!
M