Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

How Long is hike from KM104 to Machu Picchu?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not a hiker but am considering the one day hike route from KM104 to Machu Picchu.
How long does this hike take?
Is it difficult?
Is it almost as good an experience to take a hike from Machu Picchu to the Sun Gate and possibly Winay Wayna if I can get an access ticket?

Thanks!
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 03:57 PM

It is pretty difficult if you aren't in shape. I wasn't in very good shape and made it but had a hard time. Even so, I was glad I did it. You get to the Sun Gate around 4pm after hiking from 9am and climb about 2000 feet. You will see some of the ruins that the 4 day trek does but not all of them.
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 04:34 PM

We just did the hike two weeks ago and highly recommend it. You do see several ruins...including Winay Wayna...along the way as well as lots of beautiful scenery. It isn't a walk in the park, for sure, but it isn't awful, either. We started at 9ish and got to the Trekers Hotel place a little after noon. After about an hour's rest we hiked the last 90 minutes or so to the Sun Gate and got there a little after 2pm. It was amazing to see MP for the first time from the Sun Gate. We took the bus up the next day and seeing it in glimpses as the bus does the constant switchback is so anti-climatic. Much better from the Sun Gate.

There are lots of stairs and so I would definitely work out on a stairmaster prior to the trip. I struggled at points...never muscle fatigue...I work out enough for that to not be a problem. However, I did have some trouble with the altitude which slowed me.

If you can get a permit, do the hike. It really was a high point.

Taitai

Old Oct 12th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

What guide/tour arranger did you use for the hike and how much was it? I am having trouble finding one that will meet us in Ollantay or at KM104.
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 12:06 PM

I am really surprised you are having difficulty finding someone. We used Southwinds Adventures in the US to help us plan our entire trip and I think the company that supplied the guide for km104 was Trekperu. We took the train from Ollantaytambo with our guide and our porter met us at the km104 marker.

I don't know all the big trekking companies there that offer the km104 option but go to tripadvisor and search or post on their Sacred Valley forum. There is a lot more activity regarding Peru on that board as well as their Cusco board than here. There is one poster in particular, Xolchil, who is tremendous help. There are lots of tour companies mentioned there and reviewed there.

Good luck.
Taitai