How is water in Puerta Vallarta?

Sep 7th, 1999, 02:15 PM
Vicki

How is water in Puerta Vallarta?

I am wondering if any of you world travelers have gotten sick in Puerta Vallarta from food or water? How careful do we have to be? We did fine in Cuernavaca staying on bottled water,no ice and no salads with lettuce. Anyone have opinion or experience in this area?

Sep 7th, 1999, 02:51 PM
Debbie

Hi Vicki - You shouldn't have any problems with the water - even if it's right from the tap - if you're staying at one of the large hotels in PV. Bottled water won't pose any problems at all, in fact, it's a good idea to carry some with you as you walk around and explore the city - it sure gets hot. Although the food smelled very good, we shied away from eating anything prepared at the various food carts you'll see around town. Maybe we were too cautious, but at least we didn't experience any difficulties that could have ruined our trip.

Enjoy PV - it's a beautiful city.

Sep 8th, 1999, 10:57 AM
Kim

Dear Vicki,
I agree with Debbie for the most part, but you cannot just walk by any of the taco stands and not eat anything. I live here for 5 months now, working at a travelagency (www.royale-tours.com)and have never been sick yet. I indeed do not eat anything offered at the beach, but the taco stands if they look okay and smell okay, I guarantee that you will taste the real mexican spirit and not Taco Bells! I eat the lettuce and veggie everywhere and sometimes a little water from the tab, but that does not hurt. The only thing I do not recommend is to only eat from the street and none of bottled water, because just as everything else too much of something is never good! see ya in Vallarta ,Kim

Sep 8th, 1999, 02:14 PM
PT

Dear Vicki, You should be just fine with the water, food and ice here in Vallarta. After 8 years of living here, I have found that most tourists that become sick are in the sun for 8 hours, drinking beer all day, tequilla shots at night, dancing in the discos til the wee hours, new fruits ....then get sick and try to blame the water when their body is in shock! Have a great time! PT

Oct 2nd, 1999, 02:34 PM
Ro

Hi--Eat, drink, whatever you want as long as its not from a street vendor, or some really out of the way spot. My six year old ate snow cones--no problems.

Oct 4th, 1999, 06:24 PM
sandy

I got giardia in Puerto Vallarta, from eating food at a beach restaurant at La Joya de Mismaloya -- at least that's where I think I got it. It came on about 2 weeks after I was there, and I was sick as a dog for 6 weeks. I'd been to Mexico many times and never had a problem, I guess I got careless. You never know . . .

Oct 7th, 1999, 03:17 PM
Cheryl Z.

You shouldn't have a problem, but wash your hands alot, and use handiwipes. Lots of these bugs are passed just by touching doorknobs etc. (in public places, taxi's etc.), not necessarily from the food or water at a specific place.