Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   How is the food in Tabacon? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/how-is-the-food-in-tabacon-538504/)

rpdeepdive Jun 21st, 2005 04:22 PM

How is the food in Tabacon?

I was wondering if anyone who has ever eaten there have any opinions about it. Thank you

Anne55 Jun 21st, 2005 05:25 PM

It's a big buffet. Like most food in Costa Rica it's not exciting, but it is good and plentiful, and includes more fruits and vegetables than are often available at dinner.

fehgeddaboudit Jun 22nd, 2005 01:06 AM

Strike that previous post. Not exciting food in the entire country? Rubbish!

The myopic views of others shall not displace the truth.

We ate at Tabacon breakfast. Outstanding because we had no expectations. Vegetarian? No problem. Carnivore? No problem. Chefs cook omelets with the ingredients of your choice right before your eyes. Indigenous fruits are blended to make juices. An excellent way to start the day. Unbeatable.

The buffet dinner is comprehensive. If a person arrives at dinner time, the food is great. If a person arrives 5 minutes before their last seating... well, same as in your home town. This is the only 4-star hotel in the area. The dinner restaurant is not 4-star.

greenfieldhunter Jun 22nd, 2005 05:25 AM

We found the food to be the worst we have experienced in 3 trips to Costa Rica.
Breakfast was okay but lunch and dinner were possibly the worst food we have eaten while on a vacation.

check tripadvisor.com for more reviews

Kennedy3 Jun 22nd, 2005 06:09 AM

I have to disagree with Greenfield. We thoroughly enjoyed the bountiful breakfast buffet. There was a huge selection of fresh fruits, juice, breads and various cheeses and meats as well as a made-to-order omelette station. We also thought our dinner at their nice restaurant was outstanding. We did not eat at the buffet dinner, but rather chose the order off the menu restaurant by the pool. The food was EXCELLENT!!! (Far, far superior to the horrible food served upstairs at the Peace Lodge.) I had tried to pursuade my family to eat elsewhere for dinner due to the poor reviews of Tabacon's food on this board. I'm so glad my husband insisted on trying their restaurant.

plmrod Jun 22nd, 2005 06:40 AM

I had dinner at Tabacon and it was ok. I am not a fan of buffets--lots of choices, but nothing is really good. There are plenty of meat, chicken and fish options, pasta, breads,etc. The salad bar was pretty good--lots of veggies.
It was pretty and convenient. And you didn't care that your hair was soaking wet from the hot springs.

Anne55 Jun 22nd, 2005 08:24 AM

I respectfully disagree with fehgeddaboudit that my view on Costa Rican cuisine is "myopic". I did not say that there was "not exciting food in the entire country". I do stand by my post that "most" food in CR is not "exciting". I did have some amazing fish soups (huge bowls filled with all manner of fish and shellfish---whole tiny crabs and octopi), and I still miss the wonderful fresh fruits and refrescos. But while the food at "most" meals was plentiful, simple, fresh, and satisfying (especially since I love rice, beans, and platanos), it was not "exciting". I would describe it more as "comfort food". That fish soup, by the way, was served at the Mirador outside of Alajuela.

jenneepoo Jun 22nd, 2005 10:18 AM

Where exactly do you mean? The food at Tabacon Lodge or the restaurant at the springs? We found the breakfast buffet at the Lodge to be pretty good, with a wide variety of choices, and we ate one dinner (not buffet) on site at Los Tucanes and had a great meal. We also ate a mediocre lunch and a nasty dinner buffet at the restaurant at the hotsprings.

laurieco Jun 22nd, 2005 05:24 PM

The breakfasts and dinners at the hotel were very good. At the springs, we had lunch but not the buffet and it was very good as well.

TripleSecDelay Jun 22nd, 2005 07:31 PM

Something nobody has mentioned on this post : If you miss the time cutoff for food at the restaurant at dinner, you need to order simple food from the swim bar.

I'm not trying to start a riot here, but it's a great thing to be able to grab a hamburger at 10:30pm while you nurse your (X)th CocoLoco or BBC or whatever your poison happens to be.

Those BBC drinks are to die for! When we returned to the states, it was all I could do to replicate the recipe!

cabana_boy Jun 25th, 2005 05:42 PM

Just got back Thursday and I agree about the food at the resort... Good start for breakfast but so/so for dinner. The Hot Springs had an excellent lunch-- my girlfriend chose heart of palm pasta/fettucine which was outstanding, and her friend and I picked dishes from the typical section of the menu... again great. To the south is a very nice but touristy steak house... Miripar?? or Miraposa?? (I think) that had very decent steaks and delicious ice cream. Great wait staff too. The Arenal Observatory is about 25 minutes away and serves a pretty good buffet style dinner with great view of the volcano. But the close at 8:30.

rpdeepdive Jun 25th, 2005 07:31 PM

thanks for the adivce so everyone agrees that the breakfast is great and lunch is fine but dinner is 50/50. I figure might as well go down the street to a place called El Novillo and eat there. I hear the food in La paz though is about the same complanits as well. Does anyone know about that food?