Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

How early to book Mexico vacation from SF?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2015, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
We are travelling to Riviera Maya in November from San Francisco and direct or short transit flights are limited. So we are wondering if we should book our tickets and hotel now or there will be better deals in few months.
What have your experiences been?
Thanks!
Old Jun 19th, 2015, 12:37 PM

I've gone in November several times, at Thanksgiving. That is a good time to go as rates are lower than they are at Christmas or then the peak time in Spring.

I've never stayed in a hotel that changed rates frequently, they are what they are and don't change. So no "deals." They are usually posted on their website 6-12 months in advance for booking. Now you may want to stay in places different than I do (like AIs or something), I just stay in small independent hotels, so I don't know the customs of big chains or AIs. What kind of place do you want, that would help people answer.
Old Jun 19th, 2015, 01:58 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I vacation from Seattle in Puerto Vallarta every year. I have found airline prices to be extremely consistent over the years. Doesn't matter my month of travel (as long as it's not a holiday). In PV hotel rates do change by low & high season, but not because you booked in advance or not.
Old Jun 20th, 2015, 05:18 AM

The places I stay at do change rates by season, also, but the rates are decided in advance for each season and are posted in advance for the season. And November does have lower season rates where I've been, in Playa del Carmen, for example, and Cancun, also.

I imagine some big chain hotels or AIs might offer deals closer to the date on some websites depending on their demand, if they weren't booked up much for some reason. I have no reason to think that would be the case this year as the value of the USD vs. peso is excellent right now.

If the question is about airfare, then no, don't expect deals close to the date and since flights are limited, you could end up with nothing.
Old Jun 24th, 2015, 09:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all! We decided to book now since direct or short transit flights to Cancun are limited from SF and might go up or get sold out.