Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

How does Hawaii compare with Costa Rica for scuba diving and land adventures?

Old May 11th, 2002, 11:52 PM
Jay Weinstein

I was deep into plans for a diving/land adventure vacation to Costa Rica when I mentioned to two of my fellow travelers that we may have to take malaria pills before the trip. That's when they suggested that we go to Hawaii instead; both island have a volcano and scuba diving. Which is better and why?

Can you help?

Jay
p.s. If you've been following my numerous posted questions you may be growing sick and tired of me. Please excuse my persistence but I've become obsessed with having the perfect scuba/land adventure vacation this year!

Old May 12th, 2002, 03:20 AM
jay

Why would you want to take malaria pills? Are you going to Africa? We and 121 other people who went with us never heard of such a need. We all drank the water there and ate all vegetables and fruits. Nobody ever got sick during our three-week excursion

If you would forgo your vacation to Costa Rica because someone suggested then you may rethink your destination again. One person's word vs. your desire.
We went to both places and they are completely different depending what area of Costa Rica and Hawaii you are visiting.

Old May 13th, 2002, 04:50 AM
Ally

I've been to Costa Rica 7 times. My husband has been 8 times. NO need for malaria pills or shots.

I've also been to Hawaii. Diving Molokini is fabulous, but Hawaii will be much more expensive and much more crowded. The land adventures can't be beat in Costa Rica and you'll see no wildlife in Hawaii.

Old May 13th, 2002, 07:00 AM
Diane

No offence to Jay and Ally but they definitely aren't doctors or health care professionals if they think malaria pills aren't necessary. If your HEALTH care provider told you it is, then it likely IS necessary. In my city, we have a traveller's health clinic that is governed at the national level to give up to date advice about what immunizations or medications are needed for every country and sometimes for areas within a given country. For example, if you vacation in Mexico at a remote resort (no towns nearby), you really should take malaria pills. The fact that almost nobody does isn't the point. Everyone will tell you that it isn't necessary because they didn't get sick but if you DO get malaria, well, it's your body so don't listen to ordinary people....go to your local health care professionals (preferably one that specializes in travel requirements) for an assessment. Our travellers clinic will advise over the phone whether you need to have certain shots, etc., and make the appropriate appointments before your trip. DO NOT rely on anyone else's thoughts because that's all they can offer....thoughts...and you need good solid, scientific advice. It's your health....don't let a non-professional give you advice on this very important issue. Trust your health to someone who KNOWS...ISN'T GUESSING. Another point, the caribbean isn't Africa and does not require the more potent malaria drugs that are needed in Africa. The side effects from these older (but still reliable in the caribbean) drugs are very much less than the malaria drugs required if you go to Africa (where the older drugs are no longer effective). These older drugs have a much better tolerance rate and side effects are minimal. People who travel to Africa must take the newer, more potent, malaria drugs with much increased risk of bad side effects. Talk to someone who definitely knows and can properly assess your needs.

Old May 13th, 2002, 07:27 AM
xx

That's right! And don't cross the road in your town because of the risk of getting hit by a car; and certainly don't drive-statistics show an alarmingly high risk of being involved in an accident or being hit by a drunk driver esp. after 2:00am. Risky even leaving the country-better yet, don't leave your house!!!

Old May 13th, 2002, 08:55 AM
Diane

Dear xx: Your absolute ignorance is showing!!! Your fear of being discovered (what's with the xx???) is also showing!! Better that you should give a smartass reply without standing behind it? Anyone with half a brain will disregard your absolutely useless reply. I suppose you think that if you need brain surgery you'll just ask your cousin Phil his opinions? Better yet, let him do the brain surgery...in your case it won't hurt. At least my reply gives good advise in contacting someone who knows....not the local barber who's been somewhere 3 times! Ignorance is bliss!!!

Old May 13th, 2002, 09:06 AM
ALF

My travel doctor told me that Malaria can be a problem along the southern part of the Carribean coast of CR, but does not seem to be a problem elsewhere. That is somewhat at odds with the U.S. Center for Disease Control, which states that there is a, "risk in the provinces of Alajuela, Limon, Guanacaste, and Heredia" (http://www.cdc.gov/travel/regionalmalaria/camerica.htm). In any event, taking a drug like chloroquine is not that big a deal for virtually everyone I know.

Old May 13th, 2002, 09:11 AM
xx

Reply to the above person- it is pretty obvious to most readers here why myself and others don't give a real e-mail address on this forum. I am not "hiding". The point I was trying to make was, IMHO, a person has a greater chance of getting hit by a car while driving or walking than contracting malaria on a 2-3 wk. visit to Costa Rica, esp. the tourist areas where most people visit, same with Belize. Africa is a completely different situation-the risk of contracting malaria is far greater. Quit scaring people into thinking they have to buy malaria pills and having to put up with the side-effects so "just-in-case"..., and quit with the name-calling. People are less likely to listen to a name-caller by the way.

Old May 13th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Diane

And my point was that your first reply did not give good, sound advice but was just a series of wiseass comments that gave no solid advice. We all KNOW about local hazards...what we don't know is foreign hazards. My entire point was that unless you are in a health care position (preferably one with foreign knowledge...i.e. a traveller's clinic), you have no business replying to the medical portion of the original message. Now, someone with opinions regarding the original post of Hawaii vs Costa Rica SHOULD reply and their replies might be entirely valid. Do you have ANYTHING valid to provide in that regard? I'm sure it would be welcome advice.

Old May 16th, 2002, 06:59 PM
David Cook

I've never heard of malaria being a big problem in CR. However, it is NOT the best place in the world to go diving. Hawaii, Mexico & Belize have it beat in that dept. For pure enjoyment of sandy beaches, surf & friendly people, CR is the greatest!

Old May 17th, 2002, 04:32 AM
Michael

Wow!
Heated discussion! I have lived in Guanacaste, Playa Hermosa now for 3 years and as much as we haven't had any recent cases of Malaria, take the medication if it makes you feel better. Unlike Mexico, our water is good to drink and you can eat all the fruits and vegetables here. As far as snorkeling goes - The visability is not like Belize but there is snorkeling.
Great beaches, not crowded and some of the most beautiful country side in the world to explore.
Good luck!

Old May 17th, 2002, 05:27 AM
Robbie

The vast majority of people who come to visit Costa Rica do not take Malaria prevention. Whether they should or not, I wouldn't know, i am not a doctor and never played one on tv. They don't and I have never heard of a case of Malaria here. I have lived here several years.
There are many, many foreigners who live in various communities here and we definitely don't take Malaria pills. But if you are worried, just take 'em, no big deal. The problem is that they have unpleasant side effects and with so few cases most people simply prefer not to take them than to suffer the side effects.
I used to live n Maui 20 years ago. I would compare Costa Rica with Hawaii 20 years ago. It isn't so developed here, the natural beauty is awesome. The volcanoe here at Arenal is WAY different than the one on the big island, it's eruptions are like fireworks, rather than a slow burn of old lava flow to the sea. Both are cool, ours is simply different and I think more visually stunning.
The diving is better is Hawaii. The water a little warmer in Costa Rica.
Hawaii doesn't have sloths, monkeys, tapirs, or anything like the biodiversity of Costa Rica. We are one of themost bio-diverse countries in the world. And the difference between the rainforest in the south of Costa Rica and say the "seven pools" of Maui, are , well, night and day.
They are different.
Also for the adventurous there is Chiroppo, perhaps the only place n the world where you can climb a 13,000 foot mountain and on a clear day see the pacific ocean and the atlantic at the same time. Brings a new meaning to the concept of "continental divide".
Both are great. But different!
best wishes!
Robbie

Old May 18th, 2002, 01:43 AM
marilynn

I was born and raised in Hawaii - beautiful indeed,snorkling is wonderful and roads are terrific! Costa Rica is beautiful and diverse,didn't snorkel, just surfed the waves and enjoyed the scenery; potholes included. Great fruit, fish,veggies and delicious water in both paradises. Malaria???? Not to worry, my friend. Go and enjoy yourself!