Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   How do you prevent your kids from getting sick in Mexico? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/how-do-you-prevent-your-kids-from-getting-sick-in-mexico-213726/)

rita May 4th, 2002 05:34 PM

How do you prevent your kids from getting sick in Mexico?

Husband and I were in Cancun last Christmas and he got severely ill from the food there. He had severe stomach cramps and was out for a couple of days. I noticed that there are a lot of families who go to Mexico so how do you prevent your kids from getting sick. We followed all the precautions not to drink their water but we like to eat out. How can you have fun without getting paranoid with their food? Want to go back to Mexico again, sp. Puerto Vallarta but I want to bring my toddler this time and I don't want her to get sick like her Dad did. Would appreciate any tips.

dmotl May 4th, 2002 06:49 PM

Take one acidophilus tablet 3 times daily and you should have no problems.<BR>Limit your intake of fruit based drinks and most important--drink lots of water especially if you are having drinks with booze in them. Dehydration has all sorts of weird side effects.

dubya May 6th, 2002 11:18 AM

lots of yogurt with live bacteria before the trip. Drink the little yogurt drinks in Mexico like "Yakult."

x May 6th, 2002 11:45 AM

start the acidophilus about a week before your leave.

Teresa May 6th, 2002 06:07 PM

We became very ill during our first trip to Mexico. Ever since then we take an antibiotic daily, starting the day before we leave. Usually a mild antibiotic with NO Sun Sensitivity!<BR><BR>We are making trip # 8 and have not been sick since and we eat any and everything. You might talk with a pediatrician re: their recommendation. This was my Family Doc's advice.

lenleigh May 6th, 2002 06:33 PM

So this Acidophilus stuff, is it just something you can get over the counter? Are there any side effects? Going to Mexico in about three weeks and also worried about getting sick from food/water at hotel.

Owen O'Neill May 7th, 2002 04:40 AM

Acidopholus tablets are available at any health food store and nearly all large pharmacies also carry them. They should be in the section with vitamins and herbal supplements. It introduces healthy bacteria into your digestive system and is safe and widely used. Keep in mind that if you're avoiding the water and drinking bottled water you must also use bottled water when you brush your teeth.

mexicodan May 7th, 2002 08:21 PM

Some people take a Pepto Bismol tab 2-4 times day and it seems to help! <BR><BR>I'm one of the lucky one's that has been traveling in Mexico for 20 years and have never been sick from food intake (booze maybe!!).<BR><BR>adios!<BR>mexicodan<BR>www.mexicomexico.info

me May 8th, 2002 09:43 AM

We were there twice with kids but stayed at all-inclusive resorts with filtered water. We still were careful although did use ice cubes but stayed away from tap water. we ate out on a few occasions and then were extra careful (no ice, no fresh veggies or fruit that's not pealed, etc). Our pediatrician also recommended pepto bismol before each meal.

grocery store May 8th, 2002 09:48 AM

Shopping at a supermercado for supplies like crackers, cookies, juice boxes. Loaf of bread, peanut butter and jelly. Fresh rolls, cheese, avacado, tomatoes, ham sandwiches (if you have a frig or eat it right away).

Joan May 8th, 2002 04:51 PM

When my friend and I visited the Dominican Republic a few yrs ago, she fell extremely ill. A doctor had to see her through out the day and the bill was huge. Since then we arm ourselves with Cipro. A few months ago we visited Margarita Island and when she felt herself headed for a repeat illness she took the Cipro and had no problems. I managed to circumvent illness but was prepared for it. From here on out I travel prepared. Hope this helps.<BR>Joan

Ken May 10th, 2002 02:13 PM

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;How do you prevent your kids from getting sick in Mexico?<BR><BR>Leaving them at home with Granny will keep them from getting sick in Mexico.<BR>&lt;G&gt;<BR><BR>

barbara May 10th, 2002 04:07 PM

we were in mexico the first week in april. on the second day AFTER we returned home, my husband got sick. 10 day course of Cipro did the trick; we now understand that many people take Cipro prophylactically when they go to mexico. its hard to explain why he got sick and the rest of us didn't -- we were in an all-inclusive, at the same food, drank the same (bottled or filtered) water. But next time, he definitely will take Cipro for the duration of the trip.