Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

How do you feel about letting the "hotel" babysit your children?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2005, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wife, myself and two young daughters (7 & 2) going to Cancun next week. Staying at the JW Marriott in the Club 91 concierge level. I would LOVE to take my wife out to La Habichuela restaurant downtown one night and leave the kids in the room with a hotel appointed babysitter.

We would obviously request a woman and since the reservations are at 9:00 (leave hotel by 8:30 or so) the kids would be basically asleep the whole time we are gone.

My wife is leery about leaving the kids and while I am not as nervous, it is still a big decision. I think if this was Florida trip we would not be so concerned but being in a foreign country it is much more of a decision.

So what's the consensus? Are we crazy to be concerned or are we crazy to leave the kids? Anyone used the hotel's babysitting service in Cancun?

Thanks,

Marc
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 09:28 PM

For me it would totally depend on the actual babysitter. Any chance you could reserve her time for a couple of hours the day before you need her to give your kids time to get used to her and you to make sure you're okay with leaving?
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 05:47 AM

I am sure the JW would only have highly reputable people babysitting however I personally have never had to use one. I think Monica has a good idea hire the babysitter for the previous day so your children can get to know her. Don't worry and enjoy your dinner and vacation.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Actually since my wife and I both work full-time the kids are VERY used to day care and after school care. So bottom line the kids will be fine with it. The main issue is "trusting" the hotel/babysitter provided.

If we were having dinner at one of the hotel restaurants this would not be as much of an issue but going twenty minutes away to downtown Cancun becomes a concern. I would think we could call the concierage once we get to the restaurant and they could check the room for us.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Marc
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 12:22 PM

Sorry not to be of any real help with this, but I am just curious why you said "We would obviously request a woman..."

Ignore if you like, just had to ask!

Steve
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

No problem Steve. With two young girls to watch I just feel safer with a woman watching them. Remember this is their father typing this! Its similar to their daycare center...I think the school had ONE male caregiver and like forty females. Just a comfort thing I guess.

Not really sure why I typed that in the original message...maybe a subliminal thought!

Marc
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 07:49 PM

I would also request a woman. There has been a lot of publicity regarding crimes against female children in the US recently. Personally, I couldn't leave my daughter with a sitter in a hotel anywhere-US or otherwise. I just don't feel comfortable taking the chance, especially out of the country. It's not worth the risk, no matter how small it may be.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 08:22 PM

Daycare is very different from an unknown babysitter, though. My daughter (also two) happily bounds away from me at daycare but cried for the solid hour I left her in the childcare room at the gym. I would just want to meet the person first, rather than risk someone I didn't like showing up 20 minutes before I was supposed to be at dinner.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 09:12 PM

I would never leave my kids with a babysitter whom I know nothing about. Way too risky.
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 01:12 PM

It would be nice to have one dinner without the children. You might feel more comfortable having your alone dinner at the hotel so you can be called if there is a problem. A two year old can get upset. We have used a hotel housekeeper that we met during the day and we and our kids felt comfortable with. Our darling 2 year old woke up and decided she hated the woman. Fortunately the sitter called us at the restaurant and we came up and calmed darling down. After she was ok, dinner was resumed. The next day, darling child cried when the woman came to clean the room. But then, when she learned we were not leaving her, our room got cleaned. I would hesitate to go too far away with such a young child. If she sleeps thru, then maybe go on a second lovely dinner.