Search

How best to travel?

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How best to travel?

Hopefully I can garner some good advice here. My wife and I are going to Playa Potrero in August. I am attempting to handle the details of the trip. We have the flight and the hotel all booked. Now I'm wondering how to get from airport to hotel. Originally I thought I would take a bus but it appears the Interbus schedule does not go well with my flight times.

I'm considering renting a car. I'm a good driver but if the hassle of getting lost, etc. is really going to be high I'd rather avoid it.

One other item.. we might do a few tours but we had looked at ones that had transportation already included, so the rental would become almost useless unless we did other things...

Any thoughts? I'm just not an experienced traveller..
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:34 PM

Are you staying longer than 1 week? Are you going to more than one place? If so, you might want the car. Shop around there are many different companies. Check to see if your credit card will cover parts of the insurance.
Old May 12th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Wow.. I can't believe I neglected to add those details.. hah.

We are going to be there for a week. The only intentions we had to this point were to book a couple of tours to a few places and those had transportation. Of course, having a rental opens up more possibilities.

I'm also trying to figure out how to best get from LIberia to Potrero.
Old May 13th, 2006, 04:52 AM

randyf25, I am not familiar with Playa Potrero but maybe this will provide some food for thought. We are leaving in one week. Booked our hotels and transportation through vacationcity.com (although you can probably book just transportation with them or any of the other transportation people as posted on the boards). We have private transportation for a family of 4 as follows:
SanJose Airport to Peace Lodge $68
Peace Lodge to Arenal (about 2 hrs) $135
Arenal to Paradisus Playa Conchal (5hrs) $180
Paradisus Playa Conchal to Liberia Airport $150 (I think)

All tours provide transport as you noted and if we go off hotel properties for dinner or whatever, we plan to taxi. I don't know the costs of rental cars and insurance, etc., but I think $533 in transportation costs isn't bad knowing we will have experienced drivers and peace of mind (travelling with 9 & 11yr old). I guess it depends on your personal preference and budget (it's my 40th birthday present so we're doing things right!) Hope this helps!
Old May 13th, 2006, 04:55 AM

randyf25- see "special dinner spot 40th..." post. There is a good summary of the pros/cons of renting a car and costs-