how (best) to get to guanajuato

Old Sep 28th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how (best) to get to guanajuato

My friend and I just found out that the second leg of our flight (Mexico City to BJX) was concelled - we're flying in on next Sunday. So rather than loose a day, we're going to get to Mexico City and go by land to GTO for 2 days & SMdA for 3 days and then back to Mexico City. They are refunding us around $300 for the tix, so at least we have money to spend on a nice drive. Question is, a taxi? a shuttle (if there are such things), I'm not too crazy about the bus, I'd rather stop when we want to stop, the other option is rent a car and drive - I'm a gringa living in Costa Rica, so I'm used quite used to signs in espanol - but is it safe / crazy, how much would a taxi cost - is it safe? Please, any ideas? Also, it looks like it's 5 hours by but to GTO, is it the same by taxi /driving? Is it less time to SMdA? Really appreciate any input.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Pausanias

Afraid I can't help except to say that we took the bus in two stages, from MC to Queretaro, then on the GTO after a few days. Very easy trip. So if the other means don't work out for you, don't worry about taking a bus.

GTO has many pedestrian only and one way streets -- as well a goblinville underground system of tunnels. Struck me as a driver's nightmare.

Old Sep 28th, 2007, 01:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
We've driven a couple times and no problems. We always took care to be off the roads after dark. Autos in the towns themselves are not needed. And yes the roads in GTO are windy and one way and not a lot of fun to navigate. Mex City to either GTO or SMdA is about 4 hours and depending upon the route pretty easy. GTO to SMdA is about an hour and half and a very easy drive.

U could take a taxi from Mex city to either GTO or SMdA, not sure how much that would cost. A taxi from GTO to SMdA wouldn't cost too much as the distance is not great.

We did the bus once to SMdA from MC. It went from Mex City to Queretaro and then a taxi picked us up. The last time I checked into the bus, they now have direct service from MC to SMdA. I'm not really a bus person, but these were fine--very comfortable.

Have a great trip.

Old Sep 30th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I think we'll try driving it. Does anyone know if when leaving the airport - or where the rental cars are - if the roads (signs) indicate which direction to go to head toward guanajuato? I'm guessing the airport is on the outskirts of Mexico City, but is it total confusion when leaving the airport/rental cars?
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 11:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
We never picked the car up from the airport. But we have driven to SMdA from right outside the city and also from within the center of the city and there were signs. You might post on the airlines/airports forum for info re the Mex City Airport. My recollection that with no traffic (we always had very early flights it was maybe 40 minutes from the city centre, but its been awhile since I flew in or out of MC.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 08:53 AM

I know that the original poster has already left on her trip, but this info may help others.

The exact same thing happened to us last year. We were advised by a Mexico City resident not to rent a car at the airport because it is East of the city, and you have to drive NW to Guanajuato, which meant a very long trip through the heart of Mexico city, which is never a good thing at any time.
We took the airport bus up to Querataro and rented a car from there, drove up to Guanajuato and dropped it off back at Q, and took the bus to the MC airport.
If we had to do it over again, we would not rent a car - we would take a buses from MC to Q to SM TO Q to MC. Mexican buses are A+. And the car just sat in a parking lot in G .
We also felt Q was worth one night.
G was great.
SM was a bit over rated in our opinion.
In your case, fwiw, I would spend 2 nights in G , 2 nights in SM, and 1 nights in Q.