Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Hotels with Best Beaches in Riviera Maya (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/hotels-with-best-beaches-in-riviera-maya-532689/)

ftrain May 30th, 2005 05:13 AM

Hotels with Best Beaches in Riviera Maya

By "best beaches" I mean powdery sand, clear light aquamarine water, extremely swimmable, etc. I'm in the middle of the most agonizing honeymoon research ever (some of you may recognize my handle from a very long thread that started over a month ago, and no, I still haven't picked a place). I'm astoundingly frustrated, and now I'm stripping everything back again and making all of my research about the beach--because that's what she says is THE most important thing to her. This is her honeymoon, and she's the ultimate girl (as I always joke with her), so she wants frills and amenities--therefore a place like Kailuum, as lovely as it sounds, is out. But short of the places that are completely rustic and natural and in the middle of nowhere, what resorts/hotels along Riviera Maya have the most spectacular beaches? For example, Royal Hideaway sounds like a great hotel, but the beach is getting enough knocks lately that I'm not chancing it. Maroma sounds like a beautiful beach, but I'm coming to the conclusion that it's a hair outside my budget--we'll have to save it for an anniversary.

Let me know what anyone thinks. If we want short travel time from the East coast, and amazing beaches, what is the best bet? I've even looked at Villa Del Sol on the West coast, and found a great deal on a week there, but my impression is that the beach isn't very nice and that the BEST beach is on the Caribbean. Thanks for the help. So much for honeymoon planning being fun. Forget the wedding--I'm going to need a vacation from planning the honeymoon.

ftrain May 30th, 2005 05:20 AM

And one other thing about this--have we been too quick to dismiss Cancun? Neither of us have ever been there, but we also haven't been able to get excited about the idea. She thinks Cancun and thinks frat boy spring break, which she doesn't think sounds like a honeymoon--neither do I. I think Cancun and think tourist nightmare--doesn't really seem like it would be going to Mexico. But if the most important thing to her is the beach and a hotel with nice amenities, and chances are we might not even leave the hotel very often--she doesn't seem all that concerned about exploring--would Cancun be just as good as anywhere else? Or are the beaches in Cancun not actually that nice. I can get a week at the Ritz in Cancun for a price well within my budget, that's why I ask.

pepper131 May 30th, 2005 07:09 AM

Since you mentioned Kailuum, I'm thinking that you are looking for a small place.

Look at alcielohotel.com - it is very honeymoony. It's just south of Playa del Carmen on Xpu-ha beach. The beach is wonderful there...look at this aerial shot:

http://www.locogringo.com/maps/tour/127a-t.html

It shares the beach with a new, expensive place called Esencia.

While you are on locogringo.com, look at Coqui Coqui and Suenos Tulum in Tulum. It's south from Xpu-ha about 45 minutes, but well worth it.

Little_Man May 30th, 2005 08:42 AM

Personally, I think Cancun gets an undeservedly bad rap...the beaches are gorgeous, and if you stay at one of the best hotels -- The Ritz, LeMeridien, JW Marriott there will be no frat boy crowded atmosphere.

A recent Conde Nast article stated that there's a reason Cancun is so popular; the water, & sand are TREMENDOUSLY beautiful.
If you stay a little away from the hotel zone party area, you'll be fine...
However, sometimes the water in front of these hotels is like a gentle lake, sometimes it's rough for an average swimmer.
We are going to the Four Seasons Punta Mita this year, but I wish we were going to the JW MArriott Cancun. (Maybe I'll change my mind after staying at the Four Seasons, but we'll see!)

ftrain May 30th, 2005 11:57 AM

Thank you both. And Frankie, you raise a good point. I don't want to avoid Cancun simply because of the worst pre-conceived notions that I have of what "Cancun" is, when the fact is it became popular for a reason and people continue to go back for a reason. If we don't go to Cancun, I want to go somewhere else because it has something Cancun doesn't have.

Little_Man May 30th, 2005 07:16 PM

Let us know where you finally end up, and have a wonderful time :)!

Ryberg May 31st, 2005 05:35 AM

Well I think you're in trouble because beaches change all the time. You mention Royal Hideaway "getting knocks" of late, for example, yet earlier comments may well tell you that the beach there is great. The most difficult part of doing research on this is that the great majority of reviews or comments you read will make the same common mistake of discussing beach conditions at the resort or area in question as if they were alwas that way.

Beach conditions everywhere change all the time -- literally every day. Whole zones of the beach can get markedly worse or markedly better in just one day, on occasion, and certainly in just a week or so. Beaches are part of the whole nature cycle involving the ocean, currents, winds and weather. Even if you're dealing with particular areas which are for whatever reason somewhat less susceptible to such effects than others, it is simply not possible to plan a vacation weeks or (as is usually the case) months in advance and have any reliable notion of how the beach at a particular resort will be when you arrive.

Sorry but that's the truth! :-)

Steve

Lynette May 31st, 2005 09:22 AM

Xpu Ha area is amazing. If you want a smaller hotel that is still All Inclusive check out either the Copacabana or Maeva Tulum, If you want a large hotel with lots of amenities check out the Barcelo or Xpu Ha Palace

Diana May 31st, 2005 10:17 AM

In my order of preference for GORGEOUS and swimmable:

Playa Norte - Isla Mujeres
Playa Paraiso - Tulum
Cancun
Playa del Carmen

lelc00 May 31st, 2005 01:55 PM

Cancun is the place you will find the best resorts in all the Riviera, there are a few Grand Tourism category resorts, no place for frat boy spring breakers.
Personally, I like the Grand Fiesta Americana Coral beach Resort, Luxury all suite resort located in an area with very tranquil waters unlike most of Cancun and Riviera mayan beaches.
aah...and the pool is awesome!

The Ritz is a beautiful Resort but its beach is most of the time wavy.

And finally, No caribbean beach has the amazing color of the Mayan Riviera sea, wich I describe as a pallete of blue, light blue and turquoise.

Good Luck

cookbound Jun 3rd, 2005 05:04 AM

Hola ftrain,

I've been to Tulum, Cancun,and Playa de Carmen. Now, I've never stayed at Tulum, but I've been to the area and it's absolutely beautiful, more secluded and I just read an article in Budget Travel magazine discussing an upscale place there, but sorry can't remember the name, but it looked awesome (May issue).

Anyway, when we go somewhere we like upscale places, the beach is a main attraction for us, so that being said, in Cancun we stayed at JW and in PDC at Rui Palace (all inclusive).

Now, JW to me is a nice property, our room was just like any other room we've been to, nothing spectacular. But the beach when we were there (Nov.04) was very nice white sand, beautiful water w/ some waves but swimable, also it was a narrow beach and we had to place ourselves to the far left of the property to get sun all day. Now this is probably the opposite time of year of when you will be going and as someone posted the beach conditions change and sun position changes w/the seasons.

The property was fairly quiet, fair service on the beach for drinks and food, but better service up at the pool restaurant. We never ate dinner there, we always ate out in Cancun. We didn't have any spa treatments, but wish I did, it sounded like a really nice spa.

In PDC at Rui Palace I really enjoyed this property. It is much larger than JW and we went in Aug04, so much busier, very hot at that time. The rooms were more like suites, king bed, tiled floors and a step down to a sitting area and patio. Now this is AI, I didn't really care for AI since we enjoy going to a nice dinner, however, it was nice getting up and going to breakfast and not have to worry about it. The meals here were more like a cruise ship quality, but the property was great and the service good. The beach was very large, plenty of sun and shade, but a far walk from your room if you are near the main building. People go topless at this beach, so don't know if this is a problem for newlyweds, but it's a European destination. Very wide beach, more calm water, beautiful white sand.

Side note, my siser just read that Rui has been changed from a 4 star to 3 star resort and that there is a new resort in PDC but don't know anything about it (we are looking to go back this Thanksgiving)

I really don't think you could go wrong with any of these destinations, the water is beautiful in this part of the country,just research the property and make sure it offers what you're looking for. As always, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and what I think is amazing you might not, that's the problem/risk.

We went to Cozumel 15 years ago for our honeymoon, it was nice, but the money we spent we could have gone to Hawaii and would have enjoyed that more, but that was us, and it was us 15 years ago too!

Good luck and congrats! And as Frankie said, let us know what you decide.

Hasta!

moodindigo2 Jun 3rd, 2005 01:34 PM

ftrain:

Lots of advice from different people, but are you truly tackling this in the best direction? A place might have the most beautiful beach, but the staff, service, and accomodations may do it little justice.

Which leads me back to Cancun and the Ritz Carlton. You could stay at the Ritz in so many different cities and always feel that opulent luxury and decor of a Ritz Carlton, but you've chosen Mexico for your honeymoon. Why not select a resort/hotel and location which is more indicative of the spirit and beauty of the Yucatan? An exotic 5-star vacation sounds more romantic than just 5-star, does it not?

By this I suggest you avoid booking most of your accomodation in Cancun. Cancun is Americanized in the fullest sense and is a true modern city. Remote beaches, seclusion, getaways, and romance are not adjectives I would use to describe Cancun. Yet it is the perfect location to fly into and use as your jumping off point.

After a long flight, checking into the Ritz Carlton or Casa Magna Marriot would be a lovely respite to unwind with your new bride.
(1 night stay)

The next day, pick up your rental car and head South on the main coastal Highway leading towards Tulum. It's a lovely drive much like Pacific 1 in California. There are several high end resorts on this road leading to Tulum, but if you're yearning for a safe and fun Mexican-town experience than make your first stop in Playa Del Carmen. This is the perfect location for your bride to get some shopping out of the way and for both of you to eat some great Yucatecan food. Think of Playa D.C. as a junior Cancun, but without so many tourists. Royal Hideaway is indeed purportedly excellent and with a nice beach. I've also heard good things about Club Viva Azteca with its nice beach also in Playacar (Playa Del Carmen).
(1 night stay)

Again, Playa Del Carmen is a good destination for shopping and fun nightlife and so forth. Spend an evening at Xcaret for some cultural excitement here. Go snorkeling at the Xel-Ha eco-water park. Both of these places will work for a "comfort girl", which I fondly call my wife.

But if you want romance, beautiful beach, and seclusion, keep driving south.

Puerto Aventuras has that American gate-community feel (so skip it). You want a romantic trip that is an unforgettable honeymoon and not just a nice vacation, although Casa Del Agua does sound extremely romantic & secluded and is supposed to have a nice beach. It's worth some research, and requires more than a one-night stay to book.

Keep heading south and you'll pass Tankah and the Blue Sky Hotel, another lovely place, but it does not have the seaside beach to match its esteem, but nice cenote swimming.

It's only when you get to the Punta Allen Peninsula, a stone's throw away from the Tulum ruins, that you'll find the romantic getaway I've been alluding to. Fodor's recommends Cabanas Copal which does have some lovely higher-end rooms. This is the sort of place you wake up, turn over on the bed, and stare at the aquamarine ocean waves rolling in onto a gorgeous empty white beach a few meters away. Yet I've heard from the horse's mouth that Las Ranitas is truly romantic (and more upscale) and perhaps THE place for you and your newlywed. Here is where you will get the best of both worlds: awesome beach, romantic getaway, Mexican & Mayan culture infused with great French cooking, and a fancy bungalow right on the beach.
(3 night stay)

These and other properties are on the Tulum Ruins road and Boca Paila Road, only an hour+ from Playa Del Carmen.
Note that they permit topless sunbathing at many of the cabana resorts (Cabanas Copal included) in this area, so if you're skittish about seeing this just wear sunglasses. : ).

From Las Ranitas, you and your wife can make day trips to the Tulum Ruins, do some minor shopping in Tulum Pueblo/downtown, drive to the massive jungle ruins at Coba. If you and your wife want a break from the beach, Coba also has an Archaeological Villa run by Club Med. These are great for mini-getaways, with flower-shaded pools and interior restaurant and bar. You can walk from the Villa to the ruins.

Drive back up to Playacar or Cancun and spend your last night in all-inclusive luxury, leaving an easy drive to the airport in the morning.
(1 night).

=6 nights/7 days of romantic luxury on the Maya Riviera

CaliNurse Jun 3rd, 2005 08:21 PM

Cookbound--did you mean Sunscape Tulum? Budget Travel described it April 2005 in an article on Riviera Maya all-inclusives.

summer04 Jun 6th, 2005 05:15 PM

You've had some great advice so far, but I'd just like to add a few thoughts. If you're willing to stay in more than one location, I would also start in Cancun, but stay a few days so you can try a few of the wonderful restaurants. We're staying at the Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach-the rooms are all oceanfront and Jr. Suites. We got a AAA rate of $167/night, which is great for a hotel this nice.

Playa del Carmen is a fun place for everyone. We're staying at the Riu Palace because of the excellent reviews. The beach there is still good, better than Royal Hideaway's at this time. Maybe if you stayed in Cancun a few, you could afford Maroma for a few nights.
No matter where you stay, the sea is gorgeous-except on the west coast. If she is into a beautiful beach, avoid the west coast.
No matter where you go or stay in your married life, it's what you make of it. No vacation is ever perfect. Be open to what your destination offers, and have a great time! Mexico is definitely a romantic honeymoon destination! I had mine their 31 years ago, have visited many places since, and still think Mexico is the most romantic! That's why we're going back this year!

Little_Man Jun 6th, 2005 08:42 PM

great advice, summer!

basj Jun 7th, 2005 07:23 AM

Summer,

When are you going and how did you get such a good AAA rate?

Piqui Oct 17th, 2005 11:22 AM

Take if from someone who has been to Riviera Maya a ton. Any beach from Playa del Carmen to Tulum is going to be a knock out. Check out the aerial views on locogringo.com. I have stayed at Royal Hideaway and it was very very comfortable/posh and the beach is outrageously beautiful. Crystal clear perfect water and great service. You can't beat this place for a honeymoon. I prefer more isolated conditions, but if you are looking for a great beach and comfort, this is the spot. The mini pools throughout the property are a great touch. White table cloth service at all meals. Beautiful grounds and great spa. You will be welcomed with sparkling wine and cold towels and this is indicative of the service you will receive during your stay. It's way more grown up than Cancun and will get you on a less wavy beach as Cozumel and the reef provide some protection.