Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Hotels/Restaurant in Mexico City (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/hotels-restaurant-in-mexico-city-98035/)

Richard Almond Dec 31st, 2000 08:28 PM

Hotels/Restaurant in Mexico City

Hi, <BR> <BR>It has been a few years since I've been to Mexico City, and we're looking for an excellent value hotel, as well as any recommendations for restaurants. Please respond to my email address: [email protected] <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance. <BR>Richard

BJ Jan 1st, 2001 09:25 AM

With Mexico City being one of the largest cities in the world, I am puzzled that you give no indication of what area you're trying to find accommodations. <BR>I'll just assume you want to be in or near the Zona Rosa. <BR> <BR>Just a short walk from the expensive Zona Rosa, is Hotel Maria Cristina, Rio Lerma 31, Tel #: 01152-5-703-17-87. Rates start at $33.00. Make a reservation in advance. This a popular place for a good reason. In a quiet, safe neighborhood just two blocks off Paseo de la Reforma, the hotel has 150 rooms but seems much smaller. The restaurant and bar are terrific, serving a variety of food. The rooms aren't especially large, but come fully equipped. You'll find a color TV, radio, telephone, tiled bath and beautiful colonial furniture. Some have views of the manicured lawn, inner courtyard and a fountain. This is the best value I have found in Mexico City. <BR> <BR>You'll get the best price by calling the hotel directly rather than using an online booking service website. <BR>If at all possible have someone who speaks Spanish fluently do it for you. <BR> <BR>The low price stated above will be for a single in one of the smaller rooms. They have a large variety of rooms, a king size bed in a larger room can be arranged and they have a few suites as well. <BR> <BR>P.S. I don't post to individual's e-mail addresses. The point of this forum is to share travel info and someone else might be looking for this info, too. <BR> <BR>

Tilley Mar 25th, 2001 06:35 PM

<BR>Did you stay at the Maria Cristina? I've read good things about it. I will be making my first visit to Mex City in June and am trying to decide where to stay. I'm considering Camino Real, the Maria Isabel Sheraton or the Maria Cristina.

marilyn Apr 3rd, 2001 08:51 AM

There is a huge price difference between the Maria Christina and either the Maria Isabella Sheraton or the Camino Real, as well as a difference in the size and atmosphere of the property. I have stayed at the Maria Christina for over 20 years, and you just can't beat it for price, location, safety, and colonial atmosphere. You can stay there for around $45 or $50 a night and be perfectly comfortable.<BR> I would think that the Maria Isabella Sheraton and the Camino Real would be at least 4 or 5 times more expensive. The Maria Isabella is a huge, bustling hotel with many many rooms--don't miss the great Jorono Bar even if you don't stay there. The Camino Real would provide a resort atmosphere within Mexico City, but again, expect to pay handsomely for it.

Kristen Oct 7th, 2001 02:01 PM

I'm glad to hear you highly reccommend the Maria Cristina...My husband and I will be there in a couple of weeks and I picked out the hotel based on reviews I had read, and luckily my husband speaks Spanish and was able to make our reservations over the phone, directly with the hotel. I was nervous when they didn't require a credit card number or provide us with a confirmation number, but none of the other hotels we called required one either. I wasn't sure if I should have chosen a place closer to the downtown, but now I feel I've made a good choice and am looking forward to it. Any sites you reccommend for Mexico City? We will only actually be there for a couple days before flying to Merida. We would like to see that island off one of the channels in Mexico City that was highlighted on a travel show..apparently there's a man who has doll parts suspended from the trees there and it looked really creepy, but kind of cool and I want to get pictures of that...If anyone else has been there, please tell me about your experience.

Susan Oct 7th, 2001 03:00 PM

Kristen, Maria Cristina is one of the hotels I'm considering as well. We'll be in Mexico City for a few days in March. So I'd be interested in your impressions of the hotel, as well as the rate for 2 people. Another place that's been recommended to me is the Hotel Gillow. Does anyone know anything about it? <BR> <BR>I'm looking for good value as well. Our Canadian dollar doesn't seem to go very far.

Karen Carleton Oct 7th, 2001 06:56 PM

RESTAURANTS IN MEXICO CITY - I would highly recommend going to a VIPS Family Restaurant - huge chain, decent food and very cheap. This last summer I believe I bought dinner there for my Mexican friends and their extended family (6 people) for about $50.00 Canadian, including "propina" (tip). Definitely take in the MARIACHI BANDS at the Garibaldi district. Beuno vaccaciones!

guillermo Oct 7th, 2001 07:42 PM

Hi everybody, I'm here in Mexico city, i don't know the Ma. cristina Hotel; however I could recomend you a very nice hotel near the Zona Rosa "hotel Segovia" cheap, VERY clean, and good food, attentive service., check it out.

Kristen Oct 9th, 2001 03:56 PM

Susan- I will definitely post a message on my experience at the Maria Cristina. I believe the price we were quoted was 608 pesos per night. I'm not sure exactly what our room will be like...my husband made the reservations in Spanish and I had a lot of questions after about what sort of room he got us and he really couldn't say- he just knew he'd booked us a room for two nights. Depending on availability we may look into getting one of the suites which I've heard some people reccommend. I'm not really particular though...I just like to have my own bathroom.

DAVE Oct 10th, 2001 02:17 PM

If you want Mexican food VIPS is not exactly the place. Is is like a Mexican Howard Johnson's, except they put avacado on the club sandwich. Just use a good tour book and check out recommended restaurants in any part of the city you will be in.. I must confes when I want to feel like I'm home I sneak into VIPS.

Deb Oct 11th, 2001 08:13 AM

My hotel vote is for the Hotel Gillow on Isabella Catolica between the Zocalo and Alameda Park. Get a rooftop room with terrace for about $38.00US per night. Parking is available for $27.00US per night. Very safe (great for women traveling alone), hot, hot showers with pressure, great restaurant, and friendly/helpful staff. Walk to the Cathedral, the murals, the Zocalo, Templo Mayor, Palacio Belles Artes, etc, etc! Restaurants in the area include Santo Domingo (the oldest in Mexico City and wonderful), Cafe Tacuba (a Colonial jewel), La Opera (women only allowed inside since the 60s!), Sanborn's House of Tiles (must have at least one breakfast in the main dining room)and on the culinary forefront visit Los Girosoles (featuring famous recipes from the country's haciendas...museum overlooks that beutiful art museum plaza) or Las Sirenas (4th floor rooftop terrace on the backside of the Cathedral...beautiful restaurant...beautiful food). After staying in the Zona Historica and dining and the above suggestions, you will have glimpsed the soul of Mexico City.