Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Hotels/Resorts - Like Shooting a Dead Horse! (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/hotels-resorts-like-shooting-a-dead-horse-255790/)

Steve S. Sep 4th, 2002 09:04 AM

Hotels/Resorts - Like Shooting a Dead Horse!

My apologies. I just spent a couple of hours reading hundreds of posts here by people looking for nice places to stay on vacation in Mexico. But I have to add my questions as well, even though it may be redundant.<BR><BR>I am fully aware that there will never be a consensus, but here is my description and wish list. If anyone can point my wife and me in the right direction, we would be eternally grateful.<BR><BR>What we are like:<BR>57 years old. Love to walk. Can easily walk 5 miles on a beach if it is long enough. Like golf (but can live without it for a week). Like to vegetate on a beach. Love good food. Hate getting sick from eating any kind of food whether it tastes good OR bad. We like staying in places that are quiet, bright, airy, clean, and really like hearing the waves strike the shore. We LOVE walking out the door and right onto the beach, but that doesn't seem to happen very often. We like feeling safe.<BR><BR>We are from New York and are not crazy about spending 8 hours getting anywhere - especially for this vacation which will be one week on February, but we know that a great place is worth the travel.<BR><BR>Money is not really a concern to me. Not that I am rich, but more because I have a philosophy of life that includes the thought that if you don't spend your money on a great vacation, what is the sense working your behind off to earn it.<BR><BR>So, I am open to suggestions. Of course, getting a decent flight might be a whole other problem. We have accumulated a zillion miles on American, but they do not seem to have any frequent flyer seats to any warm climate the week of February 15. If there is any advice there as well, bring it on.<BR><BR>Thanks VERY much!!<BR>Steve

Marilyn Sep 4th, 2002 09:10 AM

It sounds to me like somewhere in the Caribbean would be a better idea for this vacation than Mexico. Reasons: <BR>1. shorter flight from NY<BR>2. less danger of getting ill from food<BR><BR>Getting to the west coast of Mexico is likely to require changing planes in Mexico City. Maybe Cancun area?

nina Sep 4th, 2002 09:10 AM

Steve, Just wondering, why does is have to be Presidents week? We have kids, so we're stuck with that godawful week with it's high prices and crowds, but if I weren't going with kids, believe me, I'd avoid it like the plague!

Steve S. Sep 4th, 2002 09:24 AM

Marilyn and Nina...<BR>To answer your questions:<BR><BR>My other selection so far is Jamaica. Two possible places:<BR>Ritz-Carlton and Couples Swept Away.<BR>We have been to Acapulco, Los Cabos, and Cancun so we are willing to make the trek and even change planes to be dazzled.<BR><BR>Our daughters are grown, but my wife has young kids. It's just that she teaches them instead of having given birth to them. So, until she retires, the vacations come at the "usual" time.<BR><BR>By the way, when I said I like my hotel/resort to be "quiet" that is a euphemism for NO kids or at least few and far between and far away. We have paid our dues when our children were younger. Now, it is time for the dividends to pay off:-))<BR>Steve

Nancy Sep 4th, 2002 09:27 AM

I have a few suggestions...<BR>Look at Playa del Carmen 45 min. south of Cancun, and Akumal 1 hr south of Cancun. You can get good flights from NY.<BR>Take a look at locogringo.com. I'd recommend one of the luxury villas directly on the beach in Akumal, (many have pools and the beach there is long and great for walking). Or if you want a hotel, check out Maroma, a luxury property close to Playa del Carmen.<BR>Not going to an All Inclusive will drastically reduce any chances of getting sick from the food. I've spent 100+ days in Mexico and got sick for one day. <BR>You might also look at the Reef Rooms at the Intercontinental Presidente on Cozumel. Great hotel on a beautiful beach that the Reef and Beachfront rooms are literally only three steps from the sand. Cozumel also has many fantastic restaurants. There is a new golf course there as well, good shopping and a downtown to explore.

Steve S. Sep 4th, 2002 09:28 AM

Marilyn and Nina...<BR>To answer your questions:<BR><BR>My other selection so far is Jamaica. Two possible places:<BR>Ritz-Carlton and Couples Swept Away.<BR>We have been to Acapulco, Los Cabos, and Cancun so we are willing to make the trek and even change planes to be dazzled.<BR><BR>Our daughters are grown, but my wife has young kids. It's just that she teaches them instead of having given birth to them. So, until she retires, the vacations come at the "usual" time.<BR><BR>By the way, when I said I like my hotel/resort to be "quiet" that is a euphemism for NO kids or at least few and far between and far away. We have paid our dues when our children were younger. Now, it is time for the dividends to pay off La 9)<BR>Steve

not Mexico Sep 4th, 2002 09:42 AM

Too bad you're on the East coast, because many places in Hawaii are JUST what you want. Second to that... the Caribbean somewhere.<BR><BR>Because of your concerns for not getting sick, safety, clean (as in not dusty?) and being right on a beach~ (love it as I do personally) I don't think Mexico would be the best idea.

Nancy Sep 4th, 2002 10:11 AM

not Mexico,<BR>May I ask where you have been in Mexico that you found it to be unsafe, unclean, or you got sick?<BR>Just curious...sounds like you have not been to the Mayan Riviera as those descriptions don't fit the area.

Steve S. Sep 4th, 2002 11:20 AM

Are you familiar with<BR>Paraiso de la Bonita Resort & Thalasso? <BR>It seems to be in the vicinity of the the Mayan Riviera. Anyone been there or have seen it? Does it fit my requirements (as stated at the top of this thread? Thanks!!<BR>Steve

Nancy Sep 4th, 2002 11:26 AM

Steve,<BR>We have stayed every year at the IC Presidente in Cozumel and many of their other properties, and you can't go wrong with Intercontinental.<BR>While I have not stayed at this property, I have heard some very good things about it - it's new.<BR>Looks like a good choice for you. I would suggest a rental car for day trips to Playa del Carmen, Akumal and the ruins at Tulum.

bobbi Sep 4th, 2002 11:33 AM

steve<BR>I have travelled to the west coast of mexico many times. We never stay in an AI, always get a place right on the beach, love kids but prefer to be away from them on vacation, love to walk the beaches and I have never gotten sick while on vacation in Mexico. Have stayed in small resorts in Melaque, Puerto Vallarta and Bucerias. ALways stay in small casa/condo with our own kitchens so we cook our own breakfast and lunches and eat out for dinner at the many restuarants there are to offer. This Feburary we have rented a condo in Puerto Morelos (south of Cancun) for a week and a condo in Akumal for a week where we will again do some of our own cooking and will eat out whenever we like. I have always felt safe in Mexico, in fact safer than many cities in Canada or the US. Just use common sense and enjoy. I am sure you would love the area. We can't wait.

Boo Sep 4th, 2002 11:36 AM

Go to Virgin Gorda in the British Virgin Islands. There is nothing to do but sunbathe and walk, very few kids, safe, BEAUTIFUL and you can fly from NY to San Juan then hop on AA Eagle or Air Sunshine directly to the island. Worth the effort of getting there. Way less crowded than Mexico

not Mexico Sep 4th, 2002 12:07 PM

To Nancy~~ Personally I have a GREAT time in Mexico, I go to the Pacific coast, Puerto Vallarta area. I've been 15 times since the early 90's, total about 7 months time spent there.<BR><BR>Yes, I do often get a bit sick from food about 1/2 the trips. No big deal but somewhat to be expected. Again, yes, personally I feel very safe traveling solo and female. I do not find PV "unclean" by any stretch... but it IS dry, dusty, noisy, often with plenty of diesel fumes and lots of traffic. This does not equal "bright, quiet, airy, clean" in my book, that the OP is looking to find.<BR><BR>My philosophy is that when people have hesitations about a destination, rather than "swim against the tide" so to speak... I'd pick a different place to go!! I have traveled in the Caribbean, Hawaii and Mexico, and find Mexico BY FAR the more adventuresome vacation, all told.

Ally Sep 4th, 2002 12:27 PM

Steve,<BR>Do a search for Ikal Del Mar. It's just 4 miles from Playa Del Carmen. Beautiful, expensive,very romantic, no kids, private plunge pools, etc.

oonarose Sep 4th, 2002 12:36 PM

Steve, <BR>Have you ever considered Tobago? It's quiet. We've gone there in February for four years, although not in school vacation week.. <BR>If you like golf, there's a course at the Tobago Hilton, a new hotel on a 2-mile stretch of otherwise. undeveloped beach. We stayed there two years ago; there were a few local children, but not many, and for the most part, they were well-behaved. Food and water are safe. <BR>However, there's been some dengue fever there this summer; the dry season (winter) should lessen the risk. And dengue is on most Caribbean islands and in Mexico, I have read. Tobago is not known for gourmet food, but it's good food. <BR>On the minus side, it can be hard to get to plane-wise. There is a charter out of New York City but I don't know anything about it. I know of other places besides the Hilton, if you're interested.

Nancy Sep 4th, 2002 02:04 PM

To not Mexico,<BR>Thanks for the info. If you really like Mexico, you should try the East coast (Mayan Riviera).<BR>Have been many times (100+ days) and never been sick. It's very clean and uncrowded, not dusty at all, and safe.<BR>The water is a gorgeous crystalline blue with blinding white sand beaches, and the people are incredibly friendly.<BR>It's very much like the Caribbean/West Indian islands without the "irieness." A good feature is that you can skip the often-times long plane trips.

not Mexico Sep 4th, 2002 02:53 PM

In reply to Nancy above, not Steve's original questions:<BR><BR>I don't mind crowds or dust. But then I appreciate the "eire-ness" of Jamaica too. I'm sure getting sick from food is a matter of the kind of places you stay/eat not which coast you are on.<BR><BR>My plane ride to PV is shorter than either Cancun & surrounds or the Caribbean (which I visited extensively when I lived on the East coast but now am West coast based).

Nancy Sep 5th, 2002 08:05 AM

not Mexico,<BR>I'm sure you must miss the "islands" and irieness. (It's one of my favorite things about the Caribbean also :)<BR>Maybe you can find a direct flight so it will not be so bad.<BR>I have not been to the Pacific coast since I was a little kid, and it sounds like the two Mexico coasts are very different from each other.<BR>I do think you would really like the Mayan Riviera since you like the rest of the Caribbean you have visited. <BR>We go to Mexico in the Spring and the Caribbean in the fall.<BR>I guess since you are west coast you could do the South Pacific thing though. (A looong waaay for us.)<BR>Happy travels!

not Mexico Sep 6th, 2002 11:18 AM

Thanks Nancy. Well, I haven't made it to the South Pacific (yet - even for me that's a LONG plane ride) but did go to Hawaii for the first time this year and loved it.<BR><BR>You are correct in saying, the east & west coasts of Mexico are very very different places, and each seem to attract their own loyal followings.<BR><BR>If there's sun, palm trees, and friendly local people... I always enjoy myself. Thanks for your input.

huh? Sep 9th, 2002 11:02 AM

What is "eire-ness" or "irieness"?