Hotels in Rio de Janeiro

Jan 12th, 1999, 06:57 PM
Erich Pokorny

Hotels in Rio de Janeiro

Greetings:

I will be traveling to Rio de Janeiro in late-April 1999 and would appreciate receiving any recommendations on good hotels in the Ipanema district (in the US$175-200 per night range). In return, I could provide you with travel information on San Francisco and the Wine Country. Thank you very much for any assistance! Erich

Jan 20th, 1999, 02:25 AM
viru

I returned from rio this past sunday. I stayed at the SHeraton-Ipanema. The room rate was around 220 B$ per night. The rooms were not worth it. The service sucked big time. The restaurants were BAD. Nothing ethnic. The catch of the day was "sea bass" - everyday. The menus have only one brazilian item, etc.
Be prepared to call for a cab - in case you are not renting a car - at least 30 minutes prior to departure.
Else, the shuttle to Rio Sul is good.

I would suggest staying at a lower cost hotel - check Fodors maybe - it was pretty accurate.

Jan 22nd, 1999, 07:20 AM
erin

As far as I know, there isn't a Sheraton in Ipanema. The only Sheraton hotel in Rio is the Rio Sheraton between Leblon and Sao Conrado beaches. This area is definitely NOT Ipanema!

ERICH: The hotel Casaer Park is probably the best hotel in Ipanema. It's pricy, but since you are going during their fall season, they should be offering some deals. Also try the Praia Ipanema. Both of these hotels are on the main street across from the beach. There are less expensive hotels in Ipanema, but you will probably have to walk a couple of blocks to the beach. To get more info on the hotels, check Fodors hotel index on this web site and www.ipanema.com. Also since you are going during the office season, there shouldn't be too many tourists there. I went to Rio the beginning of Dec 1998 and we never had any problems finding cabs...they were everywhere! We stayed at the Inter-Continental which is about a 10-20 minute ride from Ipanema. The only people who were vacationing during that time were Europeans and Brazilians. It was great! Enjoy!

Search this Thread