Search

Bugs in Oaxaca City

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bugs in Oaxaca City

Hi, I am the bug freak, only big flying ones, though. What can I expect in Oaxaca? i am hoping nothing too scary. thanks for any input. Also, what clothing is best to take. We are going to a language school next week, and will be staying with a family. Appreciate anything you can share on any of the above. janeann
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 05:16 PM

I was at language school (Instituto Cultural de Oaxaca) last February and did a homestay near the school. In February it was cool (60?) in the am when I left for school, but sun was hot. So i often took a sweater but didn't really wear it. By mid day it was pretty warm (80/85?) Maybe warmer in August - and a little wetter? Dress at our ICO was very casual. As a 50 plus woman I wore cotton slacks or cropped pants and short sleeved Ts or easy care blouses and always sandals. Men were clad in similar. Some of the college kids wore less. I saw camisole tops, hip hugging pants, bare midriffs, and flip flops - though probably better to err on the side of more conservative. .. ...

Don't remember seeing any scary bugs -- flying or otherwise. It's a very civilized city. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 05:50 AM

In fifteen years of travel there have occasionally been mosquitos after rain and about 5 years ago I saw 1 scorpion on the sidewalk. In other words, bugs are very minimal. People often put bug killer in the water they wash the floors with- keeps their prescence way down. There are substantially fewer bugs than my state in the U.S.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for you encouraging reposnses. I look forward to the trip. We are studying at the Becari Institute, do you know anything about it? Hey, Dude, what state are you from? I have seen you on several forums, you are one travelin'dude! Lucky you!
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 07:04 PM

There were some very large beetles on the sidewalks when I was there last month, but they don't bite.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 08:38 PM

Don't you normally eat the big ones ? Or is that just grasshoppers !
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you again, everyone, for your replies. Very funny, Marko, although I did hear about the grasshoppers, and tha variety of flavors offered. Now back to being serious, the beetles on the ground, do they fly? If they do not fly, I am ok. it's the erraticness of the flying that gets me. Oh, and by the way, so I know what I am not eating, what is the spanish word for grasshopper??? Janeann
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 08:43 AM

I think the grasshoppers are called chapulines. Usually I've seen them in the markets, sold in large baskets, and they are red.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 12:39 PM

I'm currently living in Arkansas- Texas and Montana before that. As far as Becari, I have been there 5 or 6 times. I have been very happy with the school and learned quite a bit. Have done a lot of homestays too. Becari often uses a family on Crespo Privado. There are three houses there and I have stayed in all three with no problems. I have generally had a good experience with homestays- the only bad one was in Cuernavaca years ago. As far as homestays, although not likely, if there is a problem ask your school to put you somewhere else. Generally families I have stayed with have been very nice. Clothes, it most likely will be pretty hot when you go. Shorts and t-shirts are o.k. in town, except in a better restaurant. Outside of town I think it is better to dress conservatively, jeans or pants and a short sleeve shirt. I was in Toluca last week and the few american tourists there looked very strange among the locals wearing shorts. I expect you will have a really good time on your trip- as far as travelling a lot, I have been fortuanate to get around Mexico both for work, school and on many vacation trips. Oaxaca is one of my favorite places. Enjoy-
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 07:29 PM

I didn't see any of the beetles fly, just slowly crawl, nothing like the speed of a cucaracha. The chapulines at the market are available in several different sizes, although the "large" size are apparently not the best sellers. I generally had some in a quesadilla or omelette for breakfast each morning....then I read a public health advisory in the states when I got home that they may poise a risk for lead poisoning. "When in Rome" is my usual culinary philosophy. Besides, you may get your revenge on those jumping, flying bugs!
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 09:28 PM
Original Poster

You are all sooo great! Thank you! I will let you know how the trip goes. Hasta Luego! Juanita