Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Hotels in Cancun (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/hotels-in-cancun-478870/)

Yoshi6363 Oct 6th, 2004 03:10 PM

Hotels in Cancun

I am looking into a couple of hotels in Cancun in March. Am considering Riu Caribe, Cancun Palace as all inclusives and JW Marriott as not all inclusive. My last time I stayed at the iberostar Paradiso and it was great except I was really sick of the buffet after a week .Does anyone have any experience with either of these 2 AI's I don't mind leaving the hotel for a couple of dinners so I am hoping they are located close to other hotels and restaurants. Also are they true ai's ice cream and whatever for the kids all day?

1Mandy1 Oct 7th, 2004 06:35 AM

The food at Cancun Palace is very good for an AI hotel. I have stayed there many times and love the place. If you have kids, AI is the way to go and yes, it's true - ice cream, cokes, french fries, etc. all day for the kids.

Cancun Palace is a happening place - lots of activities going on. Great pool area and nice stretch of beach too.

Little_Man Oct 8th, 2004 07:30 AM

You will probably pay more for the JW, but if you can afford it, it is one of the nicest, if not the nicest, hotels in Cancun. Rooms are lovely with gorgeous views and roomy balconies.
I would go back to this hotel every year if I could!
Service is unbelievable and it has the best pool in town! Views are incredible.
If you can get breakfast included, the buffet is very good, and you really won't need to eat again til dinner. Check out Cancun restaurants in Fodors reviews sections. It's simple, cheap and kinda fun to hop on a bus and go in to town to eat at a good restaurant.
The JW is just way above the other 2 hotels you've mentioned, IMHO.

mgmargate Oct 8th, 2004 08:14 AM

I've been told that the Ritz Carlton is the best Hotel in Cancun. I hope their right because that's where we go in 4 weeks.

allyeb Oct 8th, 2004 08:53 AM

Just returned from JW Marriott and loved the hotel. The pools are amazing for kids and adults. For food, the breakfast buffet is wonderful and we never ate lunch after that. In addition, the Mexican resturant is great for dinner, really good meats or fishes entrees. There is a little cafe that has ice cream and snacks all day. It seemed to us like the best resort in Cancun, and not overly expensive. We also stayed at the Ritz which was lovely, but we liked the JW much better!

Little_Man Oct 8th, 2004 09:21 AM

For mgmargate: The Ritz is regarded as the best in town, and it's wonderful I'm sure, but if you gave me the choice, I'd stay at the JW. The JW is newer, with a better pool,almost all rooms have great views and it's more casual, which is a plus to me at the beach.
Gee, marriott should pay me ;)!

Diana Oct 8th, 2004 09:24 AM

Widely regarded as the three best in Cancun are:

JW Marriott
Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach
Ritz Carlton

Would NOT go AI in Cancun. Too many super places to eat...

TravelingMom Oct 8th, 2004 09:32 AM

We stayed at the Moon Palace a few years ago and visited the Cancun Palace for a few meals. One of the nice things about the Palace Resorts is that you can eat at any of the resorts during your stay as part of the all-inclusive deal, which gives you a lot more options. While we don't always do AI because of the lack of variety, the numerous choices with the Palace resorts (plus a bargain price that we found) made it well worth it.

RobertSDF Oct 12th, 2004 06:15 AM

I agree with Diana--would never consider an AI in Cancun--too many great restaurants to sample. I consider the Ritz Carlton to be tops with JW Marriott a close second.

travelacct Oct 22nd, 2004 12:26 PM

We just got back from JW Marriott. I would go back to Cancun every year just because of that hotel. You will not regret staying here. Get the 2 for 1 card from Brant. You can use it the Cafe Salsa which is in the hotel and at Champions which is at Casa Magna next door.

We travel with a 2-1/2 year old and my mother. JW had something for everyone. You will not regret it!

butsey Oct 25th, 2004 12:17 PM

I agree w/ Frankie about the JW Marriott however the Ritz is on the same level then I would say the Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach so don't worry you made a good choice. If you like Italian there is a restaurant on the other side of the street across from the Marriott it is really good and not expensive but very nice and a good change from Steak and seafood. Good Luck