Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Hotels in Aguas Caliente, Peru (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/hotels-in-aguas-caliente-peru-274558/)

stillwater Jan 12th, 2008 08:39 PM

Hotels in Aguas Caliente, Peru

I read some pretty grim comments about the hotels in A.C. Has anyone had a GOOD experience in any of them? We can't budget for Inka Terra.

Thanks.

blamona Jan 13th, 2008 03:46 AM

We recently (Dec) stayed at Inkaterra Pueblo-it was incredible! It has now become one of my favorite places in the world (and I've been to 80 plus countries!)

althom1122 Jan 13th, 2008 07:25 AM

Is Inkaterra Pueblo different from Inka Terra? The OP said he/she couldn't budget for Inka Terra and blamona recommends Inka Terra (Pueblo)... what am I missing?

I think unless you're willing to really splurge, the hotel options in Agua Caliente are fairly limited, not in number - but in variety. There are the top luxury ones and a ton at the lower end.

We stayed at La Pequena Casita for $45 and were happy there. No, it's not luxury, but the room was fairly large and clean, and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom is ok, not great, but fine - so it depends on you and your style of traveling as to whether you'd be happy there. Breakfast is typical - rolls, cheese, cereal, fruit. Our guide had originally wanted to book us in the Presidente (it was slightly more, maybe $55 or $60 as I remember), but it was full. Pequena Casita is just across from the train station and down the street - close to the bus stop that leaves for MP. The town is small, though, so just about anywhere would be pretty convenient.
Good luck!

stillwater Jan 13th, 2008 01:05 PM

Thanks for the information. Yes, I believe the Inkaterra, sorry it's one word, no longer has "Pueblo" in the title. We just want something that isn't "mildewed", "buggy" or "with noisy, dripping faucets". These were complaints by others in various forums I read. Clean, comfy and modest is fine. We're there to see the ruins BUT don't want to stay in a hotel that's shabby and smelly.
La Pequena casita sounds fine. I'll look into it.

hamburger Jan 17th, 2008 02:02 PM

Has anyone stayed at the Wiracocha Inn in Aguas Calientes? It got a decent write up in the Lonely Planet and on Trip Advisor.com -- we are thinking of staying there (we tried to get into the Rupa Wasi, but they are booked already for June!). Thanks everyone:)

blamona Jan 18th, 2008 04:15 AM

sorry-it is the same-
We walked by numerous places to stay in AC-they all seemed pretty decent. Overall, AC is alot more expensive than anywhere else in Peru-it's basically a town with a means to an end-MP. You may want to check out tripadvisor's ranking of hotels.

PlanningPeru Jan 18th, 2008 09:59 AM

blamona, when you stayed at Inkaterra, is it possible to view the sunrise at MP? My husband and I would really like to view the sunrise and were therefore planning a stay at Sanctuary, but would love to reduce the cost by staying at Inkaterra, if possible. Thanks!

blamona Jan 18th, 2008 06:58 PM

You can take the first buses out in the morning. Buy your entrance to MP the night before, then take a bus up around 5:30AM to watch the sun rise. So you can stay at Inkaterra and still do sunrise. I personally liked Inkaterra Pueblo alot more than Sanctuary. (The Sanctuary sister hotel in Cusco-the Monasterio, was wonderful though.)