Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Hotels,Buenos Aires?Sheraton, Marriottt?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2008, 12:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I am visiting Buenos Aires over the Easter weekend and am trying to decide what hotel to book. Alot of the places I would have liked are booked out or beyond my price range (e.g. BoBo; Home; or Four Seasons, Alvear etc). The ones that are available include: Marriott Plaza, Sheraton Convention centre,Hilton, Intercontinental,NH Crillion,725 Continental. I am travelling with my parents who are elderly and while they're quite happy to walk, we don't want to be far away from the centre of things so that we always have to get taxis. Does anyone out there have recommendations among these hotels? I have searched threads and am still undecided. I was going to book the Marriott but some of the reviews on Tripadvisor weren't great and the rate I have isn't all that cheap! Also, are we crazy to go to BA over Easter? Will the city be dead?
Thanks in advance for your help
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 02:59 AM

From my experience with Easter last year, it is like any other Sunday.

I don't know anything about these hotels, we stayed in a Recoleta hotel, which is also " in the middle of things" and highly recommended as a pretty and safe place to stay.

Look into the Loi Suites Recoleta or the Etoile.
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

Hi Scarlett,
Thanks for your reply. Those two hotels looked nice but they're booked up. I seem to have left it a little late to have lots of choice! Maybe I will keep looking for other hotels in that district.. thanks
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 03:57 AM

Dr. Dawggy, the world-famous TOP Internet Buenos Aires expert recently stayed at the Plaza and gave it a good review. See:

http://tinyurl.com/33xg7a

IMO, the key to a good or bad stay at the Plaza is whether or not you get a recently renovated room. This is the case in many grand old hotels, such as the Plaza.

I'll ask Dr. Dawggy to bestow upon us the privilege of his unlimited wisdom in this thread.

Except some smaller shops which may be closed, BA certainly is NOT dead, during Holy Week.

Do not miss the San Telmo fair on Sunday. It's VERY touristy, but a lot of fun, IMO. However, DO remember that is the place where the purse belonging to one of Bush's daughters was stolen, under the very nose of the Secret Service. LOL!!!

This is an entertaining report about San Telmo:

http://tinyurl.com/ovh8f

If the Secret Service had listened to me....

Have a great time in our town.
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

thanks avrooster. Very useful information. Maybe I will go with the Plaza and hope that they give us renovated rooms. Looking forward to visiting that fair!
Best wishes
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 04:14 AM

You are welcome, dogyoungone.

Do not hesitate to post further questions.

You and your parents will have a great time.
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 05:41 AM

A little advice, JIC you are a first time visitor.

Do NOT change money at a place called "Global Exchange", prominently located in our international airport. They are crooks. Change at the "Banco de la Nación", on your right, as you exit customs, or use ATMs.

Do NOT board the transportation offered by shills, as you exit customs. Use only the transportation offered in official-looking booths, where you can prepay for your trip into town.

I usually suggest using http://www.tiendaleon.com.ar/home/home.asp
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 05:54 AM

My computer decided to post the above before I was finished with it. LOL!!!

At Manuel Tienda León you can reserve online and pay with your credit card.

Do NOT pay cabs with peso bills larger than 20, or 10 and try to use only radio cabs CALLED by phone.

One tip: if a cab driver invents some excuse NOT to leave you right at the door of your hotel, that certainly means he will try to trick you in some way.

Most of our cab drivers are great, hard-working guys, but I'm warning you against a small percentage who make a living tricking unsuspecting tourists.

Old Mar 1st, 2008, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Hi Avrooster,
Thanks so much for this information. I am definitely going to take your advice on currency exchange and taxis. We're coming to B.A from Chile so we will need to change the currency and I kind of wondered how we're going to do it on Easter Sat! Hopefully Banco de la Nacion will be open; or else we'll use the ATMS. Do you have any 'must see' attractions that you'd recommend (bearing in mind we're going over easter when I am guessing the shops will be closed?). Especially interested in buying some local artwork...Thanks very much for your help!
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 08:55 AM

We just returned from BA and stayed at the relatively new Regal Pacific, downtown. I would say it is one step below the Four Seasons (we have stayed there too). It is very modern, good rooms, very up to date, nice lobby, not too large a property and the staff is very helpful. Free internet in the business center. I would highly recommend it. We were also able to get it at a very good price.

The Regal is a couple blks from the Marriott, two blks from Galerias Pacifico and very easy to get taxis. We had stayed at the Marriott once, a few yrs ago, and had a non-renovated room and were not happy; we promptly fed. While the Marriott is nice and old world, we preferred the Regal because of its size and newness. The Marriott also seemed to get large numbers of tour groups. Near to the Regal is a restaurant El Establo. Its a terrific parillada and well worth a visit. Have fun.
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 04:08 PM

I have stayed in both the Regal Pacific and the Plaza. I enjoyed both hotels, but prefer the Plaza...though I cannot fault anyone who opts for the Regal.

My fondness for the Plaza is tied to my knowledge of its place in Buenos Aires history. I have been with numerous tour groups standing in Plaza San Martin while the leader pointed out various landmarks...with the Plaza at the top of the list. The first owner of the hotel built it as a place to house his wealthy European friends when they visited...with a view toward investing in Argentina. For many years it was the only luxury hotel in Buenos Aires....I like feeling a part of history....and I like the architectural detail (moldings, murals and so forth) that add to the richness of the hotel. I stayed in two different rooms, both remodeled within the past five years and both with a view of Plaza San Martin.

The Regal has no exterior views, except of the street....interior courtyard views are quite nice and the pool/courtyard is an oasis of tranquility in the midst of the hustle and bustle of downtown...rooms are large and bathrooms are larger...the bedside electronic gadget that controls everything from the tv to the drapes is fun to play with...the business center is free for guests and has quick access....

I found the staff friendly and helpful in both hotels...If you like modern/contemporary....go with the Regal...if you are more inclined toward old world charm and character...go with the Plaza....

Both hotels are close to el establo....yummmmm

Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

thank you very much, tengohambre and drdawggy! I have decided to stick with my Marriott booking. Liked the look of the Regal Pacific too but if I cancelled my booking with Marriott I'd lose money. So, let's hope it works out.
Will definitely try El Establo if they're open over Easter.
Any other suggestions for things to do would be much appreciated! Thanks again
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 05:28 AM

I've stayed several times at the Sheraton, Marriott, and Hilton... and once at the Four Seasons. My favorite is the Marriott. I love the old world charm... and location.

Many people like the Hilton. However, Puerto Madeira has become an area of very expensive and mediocre restaurants that require a taxi (they are very cheap) to go most places. The Sheraton is very nice... but it's basically a huge, city hotel on a very busy street.

The Marriott is near several nice restaurants (my favorite is Dora.. which is about 3 blocks away). It is also very close to a subway stop... the subway being very cheap and easy to use.

The Four Seasons is nice.. .the area is nice... but since I'm in BA on business, it's no longer on the approved business list! (even if it was, I'd probably still select the Marriott).

Enjoy your trip! I'll be at the Marriott for 2 weeks starting April 1st... Hopefully, you leave nice weather.
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 07:28 AM

Hi
Restaurants are plentiful and mostly good, you will end up discovering some on your own, I am sure
But I will give you a small list of some that we like..in no particular order and various priced places:
<b>Cluny</b> in Palermo Viejo
* You will end up going to a lot of places in this neighborhood, is my guess
<b>Sottovocce</b> in Recoleta..finer dining than some.
<b>Oviedo</b> seafood, Recoleta..really nice and goood food!
<b>Rodi Bar</b> locals favorite - open every day but Sunday, lunch through dinner .. love this place!
<b>La Brigada</b> steaks..one in San Telmo and one in Recoleta
<b>La Cabrera</b> Dr Dawggy can tell you how good these steak places are

Cafes:
<u>La Biela</u> in Recoleta
<u>Cafe Pilar</u> .. you can bring your laptop and spend hours for the price of a cup of coffee.
<u>Como en Casa</u>..one on French, one on Riobamba...wonderful small cafes for breakfast, lunch, tea, dinner..just cafe and medialuna ..

<u>Sant&eacute;</u> on Azcuenaga in Recoleta

We are going to Guidos Bar tonight, good Italian

Hope this helps ..

About Easter...if small shops are closed, some are often closed Saturdays and Sundays anyway - the big &quot;malls&quot; are always open..Patio Bullrich,(they have a great bookstore and cafes and cinema) as well as Galleries Paficico and Paseo Alcorte..

so there is always shopping and food available here

Old Mar 5th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Julie and Scarlett, I'm delighted with all these restaurant and bar suggestions and for the feedback on the Marriott. Really looking forward to it now. Hope it will live up to my expectations (I am sure it will!).
Anyone recommendations for places to buy local artists?
Thanks again for all your suggestions