Hotels around San Jose

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 06:54 AM
Lelia

Hotels around San Jose

My husband and I are planning on going back to Costa Rica in a few weeks and are looking for a hotel for the first and last nights near the airport in San Jose/Alajuela. Does anyone have any suggestions for Alajuela? We are planning on leaving the next morning for Quepos/Manuel Antonio so don't really want to go to San Jose/Escazu unless there are no better options. Last year we stayed at the Hampton Inn, which was okay - but pricey compared to the rest of the nicer more rustic b&bs and inns in the area.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 07:57 AM
Iza

We stayed at Xandari last year and liked it very much. Check it out at www.xandari.com. It probably is a bit more than Hampton Inn but totally worth it. They provide free airport transportation. Another option (but further from the airport, in Grecia) is Vista del Valle. We stayed there in August of this year and liked it as well (although we preferred Xandari). They are at www.vistadelvalle.com. <BR>I am sure that there are other options in that area as well that are less expensive.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 04:30 PM
Katia

My husband and I stay in a little B&B in Alajuela (www.vidatropical). It is only 5 minutes from the airport and the owner picks you up at the airport or drops you off any time. Can't argue about the price either. I hope you have a nice trip.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 05:09 AM
Ally

I highly reccommend Orquideas Inn in Alajuela. They have a block of new rooms that are very nice. Beautiful views. Lovely pool and grounds. Excellent FULL breakfast with price of the room (cheap at $75 I think) THE nicest people, and only 10 minutes from the airport. They have a web site, so do a search and post back here with questions.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 06:02 AM
sandy

I second the recommendation for Orquideas. We stayed there our first and last nights in Costa Rica last February. We stayed in one of the cheapest rooms the hotel ($75 or so) had and it was huge. It was also one of the best breakfasts I've had anywhere in the world, and it's included with the room. Nice peaceful area but close to the airport. We drove our rental car from the airport, but they would also pick you up there if you needed it.

Old Nov 3rd, 2001, 06:47 AM
Susan

My husband and I stayed at Vida Tropical (www.vidatropical.com) a couple of weeks ago. The price is right and the food is good. I would highly recommend.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 07:12 AM
shawn

Greetings Lelai, <BR> <BR>We always stay at Residencias de Golf, Ciudad Cariari while overnighting in San Jose. Phone is 506-239-2272 or Fax 506-239-2001. Great pool, airport transfer and quite rooms. If there is room in the budget try dinner at Le Monastere. Sitting high a top a hill with incredible views of all of San Jose. Windy and cool at night so take a jacket. You will find well dressed locals and a few tourists. Take a taxi because it is hard to find.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 01:30 PM
hopabout

Hi, <BR>I live in La Garita de Alajuela very near the airport. There is a wonderful small hotel owned by people from California. The name of it is La Rosa de Americas. The grounds are lovely with tropical vegetation and a beautiful large swimming pool. It is in a neighborhood that is quiet and secluded, not in the center of town! <BR>You can check out the website at: <BR>http://www.larosadeamerica.com/ <BR> <BR>Although the pictures do not tell how lovely it is. I work with tourist and everyone that has stayed there has been very pleased. <BR> <BR>Please tell them that Tropical Vacations told you about their special hotel. Price for two people $55 includes tax and a very special light breakfast! <BR> <BR>Happy Trip <BR>Hopabout [email protected] <BR>

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 11:57 AM
Carolyn

We stayed at a B&B about 20 minutes from the airport: Vista del Valle, which was - there's no other way to say it - exquisite. We plan to go back as soon as we can. Check it out at vistadelvalle.com